• OldRustyDusty - May 5, 2010 10:27 p.m.

Doom was the first fps I ever played. And I'd agree, no modern game comes close to it in terms of terrifying enemies, especially Doom II which was released just a year after the original. The Archville was always absolutely terrifying, and arachnotrons make Alma look like a pansy. Especially on the harder difficulties, a lot of the enemies were just nasty and could take away most of your health in a single hit. The original resident evils came close in the fright factor, but the enemies were not as bizarre. Silent Hill is probably on par. What modern fps has enemies that makes you actually run away even though your supposed to be fighting them?
  • Hobojedi - May 5, 2010 10:46 p.m.

Oh god, seeing 2+ archvilles in the same room that you killed a bunch of baddies in will literally make you want to cry. And lots of the remixed Doom music is really great too.
  • Montag - May 5, 2010 10:57 p.m.

I totally agree with this article. The in fighting is very different to any other game. It is any of your enemies fighting anybody else. In Halo the flood fought anybody, it isn't the covenant against covenant. Also the exploits were accidents, they weren't cheats or developer modes, they were proper errors which you could use to your advantage (or just die). Would quite like it though if you could have ended the piece with something like... I would give Windows Solitaire 160% because I like the colours and Fallout 3 is shit because of the animation of my finger They make me laugh
  • pingyoo - May 5, 2010 11:35 p.m.

Dude no way man that is just too cool! Lou www.being-anonymous.at.tc
  • CountFenring - May 5, 2010 11:37 p.m.

Man Chex Quest was my first game ever. What an awesome game. And I'd say no reloading.
  • RanGo - May 5, 2010 11:43 p.m.

L4D(2) has infighting, but you cannot cause it to happen.
  • EnragedTortoise1 - May 6, 2010 12:06 a.m.

ReDeads from Wind Waker made me shit my 9-year-old's pants.
  • Wizrai - May 6, 2010 1:03 a.m.

Well, the Chainsaw zombies in RE5 become common as you progress, and they still make me panic. :<
  • GG Gabby - May 6, 2010 2:09 a.m.

@Vitross1 and Conman93. Sh*t those things almost made me piss in my pants. Every time I'd hear a regenerator I immediately go to a corner and arm my striker lol XD
  • TheWebSwinger - May 6, 2010 2:55 a.m.

I swear, the most random of the GR articles get the Digg attention...but hey this is another great (as always) GR-ticle, way to go Jim. P.s. in Chex Quest, why would it take more than one shot to transport an alien...o_oa
  • Limbo - May 6, 2010 3:06 a.m.

The redeads in Zelda games used to make me piss myself. Also, witches in Left For Dead are pretty scary too. Especially in the one campaign in L4D2 with witches absolutely everywhere while its pouring rain.
  • FearlessRaven - May 6, 2010 3:07 a.m.

Good Article. Although i think the point about infighting can be argued with as I recall Halo pulling that out in 1 and possibly 2. I do think Doom did have something that many modern day horrors lack
  • Gobblemeister - May 6, 2010 5:24 a.m.

Terrifying enemies? Apparently somebody forgot the Satyrs in GOW The bane of any Titan Playthrough
  • Imgema - May 6, 2010 6:51 a.m.

Resident Evil? Silent Hill? GOW? Isn't this article about FPS games? Anyway, i agree about everything except music. FPS games had great music for several years after Doom. Duke Nukem 3D, Turok 1+2, Quake, Goldeneye, Quake 2, Perfect Dark and even multiplayer only games like Quake 3, Unreal Tournament etc. The last generation though, most FPS games are muted, its one of the many things i hate about this generation of "realism".
  • philipshaw - May 6, 2010 12:25 p.m.

Have to agree with the music,I would rather have a soundtrack you remember instead of atmospheric and ambient music
  • AuthorityFigure - May 6, 2010 12:46 p.m.

Yep - DOOM definitely has more testosterone than the metro-sexual shooters of today.
  • IIIIIACEIIIII - May 6, 2010 12:48 p.m.

@most of you: Stop trying to argue against the points raised here using non-FPS games as examples.
  • ensabahnur - May 6, 2010 2:19 p.m.

Good point, nobody has put enemies fighting each other after one accidentally hits another.
  • JimSterling - May 6, 2010 3:58 p.m.

Yeah, this is supposed to be about FPS games, quite clearly. Silent Hill and Zelda's re-deads manage to scare, but they're not FPS-related. As far as infighting goes, while I know there have been scripted infighting stuff, I can't recall too many that had it programmed in as triggered behavior, outside of games directly based off id's software like Heretic and the like. I could be wrong, but of course, I'm not trying to be overly literal with this article, it's more a nice look at things that weren't stolen wholesale by the FPS genre.
  • jasonbanks - May 6, 2010 4:34 p.m.

i played that chex mod in a computer class in school.