• db1331 - July 18, 2012 5:53 a.m.

"But PC gaming is so expensive!" Snerk. Seriously though, I'm scared to even try this. GTA IV is so poorly optimized on PC that you need a Witcher 2 on Ultra-level rig just to run it at a decent frame rate. I can't imagine dumping this on top of it.
  • Redeater - July 18, 2012 6:59 a.m.

You can always save it for later years. I just bought a $300 video card and was FINALLY able to run Doom 3 at the highest settings on my big screen TV. The way God intended!
  • CombatWombat101 - July 18, 2012 12:22 p.m.

If you JUST spent $300 on a video card to be able to run Doom 3 at max settings, you're doing it wrong, and apparently have been doing it wrong for quite a while.
  • Redeater - July 18, 2012 3:08 p.m.

Actually I haven't upgraded my computer in YEARS. If you bothered to read my previous posts you would have seen that my main machine of choice is consoles thus rendering a powerful computer almost pointless. I JUST recently got decently powered computer parts. Thanks for being an assuming small minded prick though. (Thank God there is anonymous idiots out there telling me what I am doing wrong without any background information what so ever.)
  • ParagonT - July 18, 2012 4:03 p.m.

You wake up on the wrong side of the bed too?
  • Redeater - July 18, 2012 5:17 p.m.

You know it. That and I don't have time for idiots that assume I'm "doing it wrong" when they don't even bother to find out any information that might be crucial let alone relevant. For example, instead of asking and finding out that I had a mid range computer that I had been using for almost ten years he assumed that I have just been building shitty computers this entire time. Mid range computer that was almost a decade old.......could that have run Doom 3 at max settings? Of course not! Luckily I'm patient and can wait 5 or 10 years to enjoy a game instead of spending a fortune on top of the line hardware.
  • CombatWombat101 - July 18, 2012 5:50 p.m.

We can add another thing to the list of things you're doing wrong: understanding what I mean when I say you're doing it wrong. My point is that Doom 3 on max settings requires nowhere near a $300 video card. In fact, the one I used on my old PC to play Doom 3 on max (with mods making it even prettier) is no longer being produced, however you can get a significantly better card for $120 plus shipping and handling. So, I repeat, you're doing it wrong. Plus, not upgrading your PC for 10 years and then slapping in a $300 video card is, yet again, doing it wrong. Furthermore, none of your previous comments actually make mention of the fact that you had not upgraded your PC for such a long period of time, meaning that you're going about getting all butthurt about someone "not finding out any information" the wrong way. Also known as doing it wrong. Unless, of course, you meant that you expect someone to go through the backlog of all comments you've ever made under the assumption that "maybe at some point in history he wrote something that would shed some light on this situation," which means that you have a grossly inflated sense of self-worth - which we all know is the wrong way of doing things. You also overestimate how much I care about whether or not you've upgraded in the last ten years because, as previously stated, you're doing it all wrong anyway. Also, getting legitimately upset about someone saying that you're doing it wrong? Well, it hardly needs to be said at this point. But you're doing it wrong.
  • Redeater - July 18, 2012 6:26 p.m.

Except once again you failing to even inquire about any useful information before making judgement. I DIDN'T just buy the videocard. I actually upgraded my entire computer sans videocard. I used my old video card until a summer sale here. I didn't feel like typing my computer's life story because no one would give a shit. (Or so I thought. You say you don't care but you are writing multiple paragraphs. You have too much time on your hands sir.) Once again YOU are doing it wrong. You should be a reporter for FOX news. You are really great at making judgements based on half stories.
  • CombatWombat101 - July 18, 2012 6:58 p.m.

So, you upgraded your computer wrong? And my point that Doom 3 doesn't require a $300 card still stands. Also, this just in: writing paragraphs is not hard. You should rethink calling people idiots if you honestly believe it requires effort or any emotional investment on my part to write more than 100 words.
  • Redeater - July 18, 2012 5:52 a.m.

I just bought The Witcher (among other things) for $2.49!!! These sales have almost convinced me to drop consoles altogether. I'm getting sick of the bloated prices and constant closure of studios I love. As far as I'm concerned if I can keep getting games like Dear Esther and Grimrock for a few bucks I'm damned happy. I don't need to shell out $60-$70 to try to support a game only to have the developer shut down in a few months.
  • Redeater - July 18, 2012 5:54 a.m.

Also, Torchlight is running at $3.74 for the next few hours. So if you didn't really care for Diablo, get your ass on down to Steam.
  • db1331 - July 18, 2012 7:28 a.m.

The Witcher is possibly my favorite game of all time. You are in for quite a treat. Just make sure you select the over-the-shoulder controls at the beginning, and not the top-down mouse ones. Also, don't drop consoles all together. Keep them around for their exclusives, but if a game comes out on PC and console, of course get the better PC version. At one point I had ~60 games for my Wii, DS, and PS3 combined, and not one of them was something I could have also had on PC.
  • SentientSquidMachine - July 18, 2012 8:05 a.m.

I wish PC versions released with consoles more often though. How many times have you bought a game for console only to have it be announced as being released on PC in a few months with added stuff. Its annoying. But I also use both for your stated reason, and sports games.
  • db1331 - July 18, 2012 8:18 a.m.

I'm usually pretty good at anticipating which games will make their way to PC. The only one I'm stunned that hasn't made it is RDR. Sometimes you get some nice surprises too, like Dark Souls. I already beat it on PS3, but by no means am I upset I didn't wait. Now I can trade in my PS3 copy, and get it on PC with bonus content. You have to come to expect the standard one month delay from companies like Ubisoft. They think they will stop piracy by forcing people to buy it on console rather than wait a month to steal it on PC, which is ridiculous.
  • TheHowetzer - July 18, 2012 10:32 a.m.

^^^^^^^^^^ Nice.
  • SentientSquidMachine - July 18, 2012 11:07 a.m.

I'm still holding out for RDR. I figure after GTA5, R* should have some free time. I have Demon Souls, and was actually busy with other stuff when Dark came out, now I'm definetly getting the enhanced PC version for $40. SF4 arcade edition was also a pleasnt surprise. Need more fighting games on PC. I don't think piracy is as prevelant as it was back from '02-'07 (maybe wishful thinking). That's how I got Doom 3 way back when, but loved it so much that I eventually bought it. But I get the business aspect of things. Everyone thinks they need supercomputers to run games, eventhough their laptop is probably good enough. I think things may shift more this next generation though, especially with cloud gaming coming up.
  • db1331 - July 18, 2012 11:46 a.m.

Don't hold your horses for RDR (pun intended). I think I read somewhere that R* said they have zero plans to port it. Stranger things have happened though. It's a shame though. That would be a really fun game on PC, with the accuracy of a mouse. You wouldn't even need to use Dead Eye.