• AttroPheed - August 31, 2011 5:53 p.m.

I really think it's more a problem of across-the-board terrible voice acting. I doubt they directed this woman to act like a racial stereotype just as they probably didn't direct Sarif to sound like an old hippie or Jensen to sound like a highschool kid doing a bad Batman impression. It's not racist, it's just bad.
  • dpjfilmmaker - August 31, 2011 6:11 p.m.

Agreed! was disappointed at the quality of voice acting on this as a whole, but still a great game.
  • Lolwarf - August 31, 2011 5:49 p.m.

It was pretty surprising to see that character. I wouldn't call it racist, but it was in bad taste.
  • DryvBy - August 31, 2011 5:47 p.m.

Geez, when are the normal people going to outrank the PC minority? I hate more and more people conforming to it. Not because they have to, but because overly offended white knights think we need to be offended. EFF YOU, PC CRITICS!
  • Race - August 31, 2011 5:45 p.m.

Damn..I'm sick of this politically correct BS. This is a complete non-issue here. I totally get certain things, but this is rediculous. Bottom line is they've taken this thing way to far in this country.
  • Pocotron - August 31, 2011 5:42 p.m.

Remember when Left 4 Dead 2 was deemed racist? Not enough black zombies to kill, apparently.
  • ODmangaz - August 31, 2011 5:40 p.m.

Why does everything have to be about racism? is this racist? because i think it sure as hell isn't. Perhaps it could have been a just little bit better, and i could see where it might be slightly insulting,but I think people are just looking for things to stir up Sh*t about...
  • KielbasaNinja - August 31, 2011 5:35 p.m.

*facepalm* Here we go again...
  • slaptarze - August 31, 2011 5:32 p.m.

Did anyone ever think Nintendo was racist for making Mario have that Italian accent? No? That's because its a stereotype and that isn't racist. Next they will be saying the only short people in games are always portrayed as gnomes... Hmm
  • 8bitBaby - August 31, 2011 8:04 p.m.

yeah. chris antista did and does. he's italian. he laughs it off sometimes, but the fact he has brought it up means it gets to him a little. also... a stereotype CAN be racist. irish stereotypes... (i won't go into any of them) that's racist. vietnamese stereotypes... (again, won't go into them) that's racist. mexican stereotypes... this can go on and on. if you attach the stereotype to any specific cultural group (which it usually IS)it's racist, because it's offensive to a RACE of people who represent that culture.
  • HumorTumor - August 31, 2011 8:19 p.m.

yup I would agree with this. Being Jewish I hear a lot of the stereotypes....and to be honest, it really is bothersome. But I just shrug it off and not get too pissed off about it, as the remarks are usually made in jest. But even that can be taken too far.
  • jasoncarter - August 31, 2011 5:30 p.m.

This is racist? For god sakes really? Just because she is black and poor, it's racist now. Good lord.
  • jokers_pancakes - August 31, 2011 5:29 p.m.

Jesus Christmas, really? I used to live in Mississippi, the Uncle Tom-representation sounded pretty accurate to me. But seriously, sounds like something new for the practitioners of P freakin C to attack video games with.
  • dpjfilmmaker - August 31, 2011 5:32 p.m.

i loved the game! just not this character. it was just too jarring and made no sense that she would have all this info and talk like a "slave". i agree to call Square Enix racist is not right.
  • dpjfilmmaker - August 31, 2011 5:27 p.m.

I wouldn't call Square Enix racist. There are a lot of African-American characters in this game with high rankings in society so to call Square Enix racist is not right. However, i found Letitia's character to be ignorant and over-the-top. this is supposed to be 2027, not 1827! As much information as she had, her "slave speak" was jarring and counter-intuivie. if anything she should have been smart, but simply disenfranchised by society, looking to get her way out of the streets. You can be poor and African American and not have to be portrayed like a runaway slave just because you're poor and African-American. it was the one part of the game that stuck out and made me wince. The poor and disenfranchised Hispanic and Asian characters weren't portrayed in an over-the-top stereotypical way. Evan Zeke, who was heading in that direction still wasn't nearly as egregious as Letitia. I think Square Enix needed to watch "The Wire" and not "Roots" for their inspiration of Letitica.
  • MidianGTX - August 31, 2011 6:19 p.m.

So black people can't use "slave speak" anymore? Perhaps the only ones who actually think of it as "slave speak" are white people? Perhaps there are a good number of black people who still speak this way and consider it a part of their heritage, rather than a symbol of slavery?
  • Verb0se - August 31, 2011 5:24 p.m.

I feel like Deus Ex runs the gambit of offensive accents and comes out shinning. Sure there were three or four times in my thirty hour play through where I stopped and said "wow, that's... really?" But at the same time these were individual instances in a game that has possibly hundreds of discussions and characters. The simple fact is that most of the African American's in the game have their own sound, some of them sound like gangsters straight out of the Wire, while others sound like Morgan Freeman- the game tries to paint a picture of the people that is broad, that encompasses many cultures. So when asked- do I find this portrayal to be racist I say no, I see no intent to belittle a people here. At the very worst I see a portrayal handled clumsily. At worst you could call it a reinforcement of stereotype, but the instances of this in the game are so fleeting that it isn't really an insult. And in the world of Deus Ex most people from most of the cultures therein are shown to be exceptionally intelligent. In short, people are nitpicking. This is a game where you can knock out random guards as opposed to senselessly killing all of them- why aren't people showing this off as a positive in gaming as opposed to just looking for any possible wrongs?
  • Vexer - August 31, 2011 5:23 p.m.

Well, it's official. White people don't think it was racist. Guess that settles it!
  • AttroPheed - August 31, 2011 5:21 p.m.

I'm more offended by Sarif's voice. He sounds like he's doing a terrible impression of The Dude from big lebowski.
  • MACGRUBER7693 - September 1, 2011 7:11 p.m.

You have just won the internet. Congratulations.