• sirdilznik - April 18, 2012 10:31 a.m.

How dare you put ANYTHING ahead of Final Fantasy VI (FF III originally in the US), the greatest jRPG ever made.
  • GR_HenryGilbert - April 18, 2012 1:09 p.m.

You sound like me before I replayed Chrono Trigger
  • BladedFalcon - March 5, 2014 10:45 a.m.

I played it not long after this was written. Chrono Trigger is good, but not nearly as good as FFVI.
  • Vonter - March 5, 2014 3:06 p.m.

Subjective both are well written games, they're just different strokes in regards to tone. I see FFVI kinda like Shakespearean since its a very dramatic game that tells stories within stories and also very emotional. Chrono Trigger is like an adventure epic (some chunks are like Dragon Ball, others like the Terminator, others like a King Arthur movie, etc.). I suppose making all those different ideas and characters work its what makes it epic.
  • BladedFalcon - March 5, 2014 4:25 p.m.

Except they aren't nearly as good in quality. FFVI's story is not just dramatic, it's nuanced, it's bold, it effectively develops not just a single character, but an ensemble of them, and told a kind of story you no longer see anymore. Chrono Trigger's story, while not bad, is something you've seen before plenty of times, and it even resorts to some very lazy, tired clichés. (Let's kill a main character... but then revive it soon after using a miraculous technique/Item that had never even been mentioned up until that point!) And unless you sat trough the almost endgame and played the optional side-quests that ONLY were available at taht point, none of the characters in the game were ever properly fleshed out beyond a basic archetype. Saying Chrono Trigger's story is as good or better than FFVI's is like saying that any DBZ plot is as good or better than say, Princess Mononoke's
  • Vonter - March 5, 2014 4:30 p.m.

Storywise I agree with you like I said FF VI is very effective I will argue more in that sense with a game like Mother 3, which also shares some of its themes, but its more personal. Gameplay wise their both equally good. Might argue that Chrono Trigger battles were more organic and more choreographed than in FF VI.
  • BladedFalcon - March 5, 2014 5:07 p.m.

Actually, gameplay-wise and even graphically-wise, I'd say Chrono Trigger is better, but this is an RPG we're talking about, and not even an SRPG or a ARPG in which gameplay IS a far more important aspect. In JRPGs like these, at least for me, the most important factor that judges their quality lies in their setting, story and characters, gameplay and graphics are just the vehicle and the dressing that helps move the story along. So, having said that, it's kinda grating to me that CT is waved around like the best RPG ever when it's not even CLOSE to having the best story, character or setting in an RPG. Just like it annoyed the shit out of me when GR made that list of best FF games, and put FFTA2 over FFT, which again, yes technically it plays better and looks better, but the story in FFTA2 is utter shit compared to the story in FFT, which IMO is probably even better than FFVI's story. Again, these are RPGs, people connect with them usually because of the characters and story, so these aspects should reign above the overall quality in this case.
  • Vonter - March 5, 2014 5:15 p.m.

Ok... in the end you go for what interests you the most, but yeah usually the story breaks or makes the RPG. That's why I said Mother 3 may be as good as FF VI. Both have very powerful tales. However I respect some can care more about the gameplay if said one can kept you engaged, that has merit too.
  • Relayer71 - March 6, 2014 6:52 p.m.

Totally agree, FF VI is the better game. In fact, Chrono Trigger, as great as it is, is still a tiny bit overrated. FF VI, IV and Phantasy Star IV were better JRPGs of that era. I think I even like FF V better as well. It's still a great game though, and a definite must play, but certainly not THE GREATEST JRPG of all time (I don't even think FF VI pulls that off).
  • Bawheidbob - April 18, 2012 10:51 a.m.

I was starting to panic a little but it was there in the end loved Super Metroid. Now that i think about it this was the game that started my obsession with buy games if they have nice big boxes. Still have not played Chrono Trigger though or Link to the Past /hangsheadinshame One day though - So many games here in fact i never played and no Street Fighter II Turbo /shock - I suppose we all had it on the Megadrive
  • alexandre-bret - April 18, 2012 12:16 p.m.

Illusion of Gaia. Starfox, Turtles in Time were one of my all time favorites
  • Pogogacy - April 18, 2012 1:18 p.m.

List is pretty much spot on. I've never really thought SMRPG was anything that special; completely eclipsed by the other (far superior) Square RPGs on the SNES.
  • LBD_Nytetrayn - April 18, 2012 2:02 p.m.

Interesting that this list is playing by different standards than the others, re: modern equivalents and the like.
  • DirkSteele1 - April 18, 2012 2:29 p.m.

Agreed. Quite simply a fantastic list of games and most definitely the best console that Nintendo has ever produced. My SNES gets more play than my 360 or Wii even now.
  • ViolentLee - April 19, 2012 6:04 p.m.

Never been a fan of Tetris Attack. I think either Street Fighter II or Mortal Kombat 2 deserves its spot instead. Or what about NBA Jam? What a great arcade port! Had you the space for another RPG, I'd have added either Shadowrun or Mario RPG to the list.
  • torre-sims - July 5, 2012 10:50 p.m.

this list doesn't even scratch the got damn surface, the SNES had at least just under a HUNDRED excellent games....that's actually a conservative estimate lol.
  • ikillomega - August 4, 2012 12:41 a.m.

Great List! Super Metroid is my all-time favorite video game. Period. Seeing it at number one here brings a massive smile to my old-school face.
  • thedoctor250 - November 18, 2012 6:29 a.m.

Earthbound is only at 6? Blasphemy. Good list otherwise, though.
  • monke - April 4, 2013 9:04 a.m.

Out of the SNES RPG, Star Ocean is only second to Chrono Trigger, figuring a complex walk-trough, an original combat system, a well-balanced mix between sci-fi and fantasy, a and last but not least an insane crafting system. It is a work of art and deserves at least 10th place.
  • J-Fid - March 5, 2014 11:55 a.m.

You guys would seriously recommend Kirby Super Star over the Ultra remake? Ultra has everything the original had and more. Not to mention better graphics, and this thing I love called portability.
  • GR_HenryGilbert - March 5, 2014 2:47 p.m.

Yes, Ultra is better, but it isn't on the SNES. It's only Super Nintendo games that go on this list
  • J-Fid - March 5, 2014 3:06 p.m.

Yes I know this list is for the SNES, but you still say "but we’d still recommend the SNES original any day of the week." Why even say that if you feel the remake is better?
  • Shigeruken - March 9, 2014 6:40 p.m.

Because the original is still good, and the remake is not on the SNES.
  • Vonter - March 5, 2014 3:11 p.m.

The SNES is like Nintendo's fountain of dreams, I keep coming back and back hunting down experiences that I miss because it was very full of ideas. Also I see a sense of joy in this era, games could get depressing, ominous, [dark] at times but there was always a way to add some needed levity to a story. Also color, since sprites took more inspiration from 2D animation which also was a huge part of the 90s there were very vivid games, with a lot of energy.
  • Relayer71 - March 6, 2014 6:47 p.m.

Nintendo will go down in history as the Greatest Console Company Ever. For the SNES alone it could get this title, but add the NES, GBA, Gamecube, DS, and 3DS to this list and Nintendo becomes a living legend in the gaming world. So many great memories of the SNES. And Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time... and I only played it once. I am afraid to ruin that memory of it!!!! What a perfectly designed game.