• fanfundy - April 17, 2012 5:15 p.m.

Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, and the ever addicting Zombies Ate My Neighbors.
  • LordZarlon - April 17, 2012 5:23 p.m.

Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time. I just started playing through it again on virtual console. It's at times like this that I am still glad I have my Wii.
  • J-Fid - April 17, 2012 6:42 p.m.

(Insert generic "where's Super Mario RPG" here). That Top 7 link on the Super Punch Out slide reminded me how much more I enjoy the old format compared to all of these slides. Sorry GR, my mind seems made up.
  • JMarsella09 - April 17, 2012 6:46 p.m.

U.N. Squadron.
  • talleyXIV - April 17, 2012 7:12 p.m.

Number 9 comes after number 8, just noticed. I think Super Mario World should be number 3, and Zelda: LTTP should be number 2.
  • Person5 - April 17, 2012 10:10 p.m.

As much as I love Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger is probably a better game but just barely
  • Sy87 - April 17, 2012 7:16 p.m.

Some of those games bring back memories. I want to get a working system now. But I liked Metal Combat. HEY, you didn't include Star Fox come on I know the box art was bad but hey that was a good game if you ventured from the main track. Never did get to finish Lufia. Anyway time to go to ebay!
  • Person5 - April 17, 2012 10:11 p.m.

Star Fox 64 is probably a better game, thus disqualifying Star Fox from this list
  • BladedFalcon - April 18, 2012 12:46 a.m.

Maybe... but I can't remember, did SF 64 have branching paths and stages? memory's foggy, but I have the impression that the original star fox was the one that did it, and SF 64 did away with it. If so, I'm probably sticking with SF then, since I have a special love and respect for games that dared to have branching stages that made the game feel different each time you played it. It's something you don't see a lot anymore these days...
  • ncurry2 - April 18, 2012 6:49 a.m.

No, SF64 had branching paths with different stages too. There was always some sort of hidden objective in the stages to do. Doing them led to the harder difficulty stages.
  • BladedFalcon - April 18, 2012 9:06 a.m.

Ahh, cool, then yeah, chances are SF 64 IS the definite better game XD I mean, i remember loving the original SF, but it sure looks dated now XD
  • charles-matherly - April 17, 2012 8:39 p.m.

Lufia 2 Rise of the Sinistrals was my favorite game on the snes. Iloved mario and killer instinct but Lufia had an awsome story, great puzzles, and a great battle system. I still love to play this game today.
  • Pruman - April 18, 2012 7:16 a.m.

Come on man, Star Fox should be on there. Sure, it was a tech demo for the Super FX chip just like Pilotwings was a tech demo for Mode 7...but what a glorious and fun tech demo! I can still remember playing it for the first time on a display kiosk at Toys 'R Us, and having my 10-year old mind totally blown away. Sure, the graphics are pretty austere, and if you're playing on an actual SNES, the game runs like absolute ass. It's still a blast to play, though.
  • mothbanquet - April 18, 2012 8:14 a.m.

I only played Chrono Trigger three years ago via emulator and never would I have imagined that a 16-bit game would grip me in this day and age like that one did. I played it solidly from start to finish over the space of two weeks and was gobsmacked to learn from a friend what I'd missed! It was, quite simply, a piece of RPG perfection and still stands as a game that many devs today could learn from.
  • Hig1134 - April 18, 2012 8:47 a.m.

SNES was so awesome! So many fond memories...I wanna play right now!!
  • sirdilznik - April 18, 2012 10:31 a.m.

How dare you put ANYTHING ahead of Final Fantasy VI (FF III originally in the US), the greatest jRPG ever made.
  • GR_HenryGilbert - April 18, 2012 1:09 p.m.

You sound like me before I replayed Chrono Trigger
  • BladedFalcon - March 5, 2014 10:45 a.m.

I played it not long after this was written. Chrono Trigger is good, but not nearly as good as FFVI.
  • Vonter - March 5, 2014 3:06 p.m.

Subjective both are well written games, they're just different strokes in regards to tone. I see FFVI kinda like Shakespearean since its a very dramatic game that tells stories within stories and also very emotional. Chrono Trigger is like an adventure epic (some chunks are like Dragon Ball, others like the Terminator, others like a King Arthur movie, etc.). I suppose making all those different ideas and characters work its what makes it epic.
  • BladedFalcon - March 5, 2014 4:25 p.m.

Except they aren't nearly as good in quality. FFVI's story is not just dramatic, it's nuanced, it's bold, it effectively develops not just a single character, but an ensemble of them, and told a kind of story you no longer see anymore. Chrono Trigger's story, while not bad, is something you've seen before plenty of times, and it even resorts to some very lazy, tired clichés. (Let's kill a main character... but then revive it soon after using a miraculous technique/Item that had never even been mentioned up until that point!) And unless you sat trough the almost endgame and played the optional side-quests that ONLY were available at taht point, none of the characters in the game were ever properly fleshed out beyond a basic archetype. Saying Chrono Trigger's story is as good or better than FFVI's is like saying that any DBZ plot is as good or better than say, Princess Mononoke's