• brickman409 - March 6, 2014 8:29 p.m.

Considering how many great PC games came out in the past decade, I think this needs to be changed to a top 50 list.
  • swedishfrog - March 7, 2014 12:05 a.m.

Amen to that. How can the Dreamcast have a top 50 (with only around 250 released in the west over the life of the console), and the PC deserves only a Top 25, over the LAST 10 YEARS?
  • GR HollanderCooper - March 7, 2014 12:13 a.m.

Because we're never going to touch the Dreamcast list again, whereas this will get additional love whenever new PC games release.
  • swedishfrog - March 7, 2014 12:31 a.m.

But Coop, you should probably trim this down to the last 5 years then (even if it means getting Half Life 2 out of the list) because there is not a decade worth of PC games in there, far from it. Also, you guys revise those list once a year (the living ones, not the Dreamcast obviously) there will always be more to add to a machine that never actually have an end to its lifecycle, so it is probably best to have a comprehensive base to start from, because right now, it looks like a list made of cheese (because of all the holes in it :)) The best/worst part is I know you are a PC gamer as well, so I am a bit surprised.
  • alecbeals - March 8, 2014 12:28 p.m.

PC lists are the hardest of all because like you said, it doesn't really have a cycle. I think doing smaller, more specialized lists is the only real way to go about it. I'd rather see top 15 strategy/fps/MMO/f2p of the decade than just a comprehensive huge guide. If you want that go read PC Gamer magazine they do it about once a year or so.
  • swedishfrog - March 7, 2014 12:34 a.m.

Also, isn't it super late where you are, shouldn't you avoid dealing with internet comments so late? You are never going to be able to sleep if you look at our ranting before sleeping. Take a break, rest, and come back to argue with us when you have your strength :)
  • GR HollanderCooper - March 8, 2014 2:22 p.m.

There's a link at the bottom of the article that explains it, but to keep things manageable we keep "living" lists at 25, and "legacy" at 50.
  • swedishfrog - March 9, 2014 11:14 p.m.

Oh, i did not see the explanation. Ok, fair enough, I would still prefer the PC list to represent a bit more the PC, but hey, you set the rules and you stick to them, at least that is consistent, whether I agree with the decision or not.
  • Shigeruken - March 6, 2014 8:58 p.m.

I don't agree with many of these entries, and I don't agree with any of the placements, especially Bioshock and the Witcher 2. The Witcher 2 is without a doubt one of the single most important PC releases of the last decade, whereas Bioshock was a horrid port and fairly unoriginal when compared to other PC games available at the time. Skyrim, The Witcher, and Dragon Age should all without a doubt place above League of Legends.
  • Shigeruken - March 7, 2014 1:07 a.m.

I'm going to make a case for the Witcher 2 to make the top 5 instead of just saying that I disagree. The Witcher 2 is a triumph of the DRM free media model, at the time of release it was the only high budget mainstream title to trust PC gamers enough to release without putting the paying customer at a disadvantage to slow down piracy. It's a directx 9 game that looked better than any dx11 game on release, save Metro 2033, proving that a developer's ingenuity can overcome an outdated toolset, even when competing against bleeding edge technology. To this day TW2 is some of the only games that both targets an adult audience and treats them like adults. The characters and characterization is unaffected by societal norms, and there is no pandering to a specific audience. Sex is something that can occur in the game, but is not a selling point or culmination of a story arc as it is in games like Mass Effect. Combat is crisp and highly polished, every fight you may encounter can be approached dozens of different ways. It can be played with a controller, but using a mouse and being able to focus on and switch between targets at all directions instantly gives you a huge strategic advantage. Choices in the Witcher 2 are not black and white like they are in Mass Effect. Geralt has amnesia, and you are never told whether someone you might be incline to murder can be characterized as a good person or not, or whether their death will be beneficial to the innocents around them. Player decisions have a much larger impact on the storyline than in games like Mass Effect, if you kill a character, there is no substitute for them later on in the game and the story plays out differently. You're also given more control over the sequence in which you approach key events, and are often forced to sacrifice characters you have built an attachment to. It plays off the relationships and attachments you as the player form with characters, Geralt's connection to the characters aren't as important as the player's. The Witcher 2 was a PC exclusive sequel that was better than the original by all counts, without sacrificing any of the game's depth and without borrowing gameplay mechanics from other games. Most people may think that Mass Effect 2 had better gameplay than the original, but there's no denying that it sacrificed almost every rpg element the first game had. The combat in Mass Effect 2 was Gears of War that let you use a power once every few seconds. The combat was innovative when compared to ME1, but not when compared to any other third person shooter. The Witcher 2 is a unique experience in all aspect. I could probably drone on and on about why I like the game more than most of the games in this list, but it's not my list and I'm already bored of my hurried and borderline nonsensical ramblings, so I wont. But seriously though, the PC port of Bioshock 1 was so bad that it really doesn't deserve to be on a list of good PC games. To this day it hasn't been polished or fixed. It's not my list anyway, and I come here to read what GR think, not tell you guys what I think.
  • Galaxy010 - March 6, 2014 9:31 p.m.

My mind is having a hard time processing that HL2 is so low on this list. Not that I necessarily disagree, but.....I mean its usually near the top of GOAT lists, so a PC list I would expect Top 5 no question.
  • StrayGator - March 6, 2014 9:40 p.m.

"Past decade" is a sliding time window. Will you take out HL2 in few months?
  • GR HollanderCooper - March 7, 2014 12:12 a.m.

We'll re-evaluate every few months, yeah, but odds are we'll only do a "well let's kill the decade-old games!" yearly.
  • StrayGator - March 7, 2014 6:23 a.m.

Makes sense, because by then we'll already have Half-Life 3. and world peace.
  • alecbeals - March 8, 2014 12:26 p.m.

Just out of curiosity how much did you guys debate the battlefield entries comparing rose-tinted glasses of Bad Company 2 and the likes to the newest one.
  • GR HollanderCooper - March 8, 2014 2:20 p.m.

We're actually HUGE fans of BFBC2 in the office--it was originally on here, past the release of BF3. But after BF4, we all agreed the franchise had improved.
  • swedishfrog - March 7, 2014 12:26 a.m.

Soo... No Diablo 3, no Trchlight 2, no Planetside 2, no Guild Wars 2 (despite the fact that it introduced a ton of new ideas in MMOs), no Crysis 1 (still a great FPS and a benchmark of PCs at the time), no FTL (a symbol of a successful Kickstarter), no Company of Heroes, no Dawn of War, no freaking STALKER! No Amnesia, no Shogun 2, no ArmA 2 or DayZ, no TrackMania, no Metro, no Black and White 2, no Gone Home, no Path of Exile, no UT2004... Damn it, the list is endless! If this is supposed to be: "we've created this list--one that focuses on, specifically, the best of the recent batch of games. "Recent" being an extremely loose term, obviously, as we're including a decade's worth of games, but we think this will help you decide what modern PC titles are worth your time." then you guys have failed pretty badly. Why don't you outsource this list to PC Gamer? (please, tell me you did not, because otherwise, I am going to feel pretty crappy about them too)
  • hedonist27 - March 8, 2014 7:59 p.m.

Liked.
  • GR HollanderCooper - March 14, 2014 6:32 p.m.

When we put this together Diablo 3 was a hunk of Auction House loot, Torchlight 2 is overrated, Planetside 2 has dropped off in fun value since the community dwindled, Crysis 1 is lackluster when you rip out the visuals (Warhead is better, natch'), FTL is great but we'll wait for the enhanced edition before calling it better than the stuff on here, CoH is aight, DoW is... a legit oversight, didn't think Stalker held up, Amnesia is overrated, Shogun 2 is eh, Arma 2/DayZ are barely playable for 99% of people, Trackmania doesn't do anything for us, Metro is great but can't beat out these, B&W2 is fun as hell but not actually all that great, Gone Home is wonderful but we didn't feel the need to include it, Path of Exile isn't as good as D3 is now, UT2004's good but I'd rather play BF. We're GamesRadar--these are the games we picked. If you want PC gamer's list it's right here: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/16/the-100-best-pc-games-of-all-time/10/
  • swedishfrog - March 15, 2014 6:43 a.m.

Slamm! I disagree on a lot of that, but hey, it's you list. Warhead was better tough, that much is true. And since you revised the review, I am thinking Diablo 3 might make the list next time (as DOW maybe?). Either way, we settled this, and the list is probably going to change so much, what with Hearthstone being so good and all...
  • Sentient - March 7, 2014 2:22 a.m.

Ok, Battlefield 4 does not deserve a spot on this list...
  • Shigeruken - March 7, 2014 6:21 a.m.

Agreed, if anything it should be Bad Company 2.
  • Sentient - March 7, 2014 1:18 p.m.

Exactly. BF4 isn't even the best Battlefield game in the last decade, let alone one of the best PC games.
  • mothbanquet - March 8, 2014 2:05 a.m.

I hear that. BC2 was only one of three or so multiplayer games I've ever actually enjoyed unconditionally. The fact me and my friends went back to it after getting fed up with BF3 is a testament to its near-flawless balance and fun-factor.