Topics

best

• lazer59882 - July 19, 2012 10:59 p.m.

actually stopped reading after i saw that FFX cunt, and then you guys stroking yourselves talking about "traditional JRPGs" there was nothing "traditional" about FFX, and if that's the kind of shit you people want a return to, then this genre is more dead than i ever thought. give me a return to the style of FFVI. plain and simple.
  • CrashmanX - July 19, 2012 11:16 p.m.

Would you like a bucket for all those tears? Shoulda looked at entry 3 my friend.
  • lazer59882 - July 22, 2012 9:54 a.m.

"tears"? what the fuck are you talking about?
  • ThundaGawd - July 19, 2012 10:22 p.m.

My favorite JRPG of all time is without a doubt The Legend Of Dragoon, especially considering it was only a PS1 game. It had everything you could ever want in a JRPG, a seemingly simple quest (reuniting yourself with your childhood friend who was kidnapped during a raid on your village) that eventually becomes the continuation of a 10,000 year old war for the survival of all life on the planet. The storytelling was simply perfect, with a strongly developed backstory, and a perfect amount of amazing plot twists & flashbacks. The plot twists and revelations were so perfectly executed that almost every time one of them came around, your jaw would simply drop out of shock. The combat WAS turn based, but with a few interesting additions that forced you to stay focused even while the combat animations were playing out. The characters were also a very likeable bunch, each with their own in-depth history as well, so much so that certain scenes caused many manly tears to be shed. and the finale wrapped up everything very nicely, giving you a Dragon Age: Origins style epilogue for every character. And lastly you get to transform into a legendary Dragoon knight, what's not to love? :D
  • dcbernman - July 19, 2012 10:40 p.m.

Yes, it's a lovely game, but if you don't remember how god awful the translation was (it's the worst I've seen in both the SNES and PS1 eras) then you either need to play through it again or remove the nostalgia goggles. But you know what? All this reminiscing has me itching to play it again anyway :D
  • ThundaGawd - July 20, 2012 3:58 p.m.

Yeah, the translation was a steaming pile of crap, but aside from giggling at the cheesy text bubbles, it was still a great game XD
  • dcbernman - July 19, 2012 10:14 p.m.

GR, I think this is a great list. However, just about every JRPG gamer worth his/her salt knows all of these games, even if they haven't played through them. Perhaps lists like these should be compiled not as an ultimatum but rather as a sort of reference or library of great games with the intention of showing us great RPGs we've never heard of and would love to play in addition to the classics you mentioned above. That said, I do think it's a bit of a shame to leave out Grandia and the Suikoden series (1, and 2, despite their flaws, are top of the line in a genre known for wonderful storytelling). But my favorite times playing JRPGs were when I discovered a new game (as in a game I'd never heard of. Whether it was 5 or 20 years old is irrelevant). I have incredibly fond memories of Legend of Dragoon, despite wanting to gouge my eyes out because of it's pitiful translation, because it was fresh and interesting and exciting! GR, I love JRPGs, and as far as I can tell, so do you and just about everyone who commented here. I would be most grateful (and ludicrously excited) however, if you could point me in the direction of some of the more obscure gems of the past 20 odd years. :)
  • Meleedragon27 - July 19, 2012 9:35 p.m.

Nice to see Paper Mario made the list; I absolutely loved that game and have been thinking of dusting off my N64 just to play it again. I also wanted to say that while I'm normally not a fan of JRPGs, I really enjoyed the first Parasite Eve game on the PlayStation. I thought the gameplay was really well done and I found the music to be some of Yoko Shimomura's best work.
  • redwolfman - July 19, 2012 8:52 p.m.

My favorite has to be Suikoden 1 and 2.
  • slimjim441 - July 19, 2012 8:31 p.m.

No Fire Emblem? That makes me a sad panda.
  • BladedFalcon - July 19, 2012 8:45 p.m.

Well, I personally have never really put turn based strategy games and RPGs in the same genre or category. I know a lot of people and sites tend to do it, but I have honestly always seen them as very separate genres with different feel and focus. So which is why I can understand Fire Emblem not being here, or Advance Wars for that matter.... Or fucking Final Fantasy Tactics. (Which arguably has a better, at least more complex and intelligent story than even FFVI... Once you get past the horrible translation.)
  • slimjim441 - July 20, 2012 2:13 a.m.

I guess I can see where you're coming from based on how turn-based doesn't really fit the typical RPG play style, but I still consider the Fire Emblem series to be a JRPG. Just look at the list of titles ported to the west next to the full list of installments. XD
  • BladedFalcon - July 19, 2012 7:39 p.m.

I actually played Chrono Trigger about two months ago... Yeeeah, I'm sorry, but I don't think it beats FFVI, not by a longshot. It's a good game, it definitely is, but i honestly don't agree with how many consider it to be the best RPG of all time, specially since it doesn't have the best game play. (It's a good system, but it's not the BEST system.) It doesn't have a particularly great story (Yes I know, it spans several times lines and that's pretty cool, but it actually never really goes in depth to make something unique or to play with the actual cool nuances of time travel. Instead, the overall plot couldn't be any more typical than your average RPG: Big powerful being wants to destroy the world and you have to stop it. And unlike other RPGs with similar premises like, say, FFVI, there isn't a real twist or change up to the plot to spice things up or make it memorable, the endgame is always to beat lavos. Boring.) And most of all, characters. More than in any other genre, I feel that the strength of your characters and their personality is what makes you care, and want to keep going forward. In this game...? Every single character is, without exception, a stereotype of a character you've seen better developed before. And not just that, aside from the side quests you get AT NEAR THE END OF THE GAME, the rest of the game barely has any meaningful character interaction. I honestly had a hard time finishing the game because i found almost nothing to make me care about CT's cast. So yeah, it's my personal oppinion, and I know plenty will disagree, but having now played such a hyped game, I'm frankly very disappointed, and I don't think it's nearly the best. Also, before anyone tries that angle, no, I am not seeing FFVI with nostalgia googles, played that game 3 years ago, way past it's prime and not in my childhood, so my opinion about it is completely nostalgia google-free.
  • RampageDeluxe - July 19, 2012 7:48 p.m.

Final Fantasy 6 has been my favorite game since I first played it on Christmas morning after its release. I haven't found another game with the same depth of characters and amount of stirring emotion since. Unlike you, I played FF6 nearly 20 years ago, but I have not found anything thats made me feel like I've felt during that game. Lost Odyssey was a great comparable and is right up there, so you might want to try that. Chrono Trigger was very enjoyable to me as a child and I didn't have the disadvantage of hearing the large amount of hype building over nearly 2 decades, but in its hay day, it was great. I wouldn't feel the same though if my first time playing was after the massive amounts of hype.
  • BladedFalcon - July 19, 2012 7:53 p.m.

Yeah, again, CT is undoubtedly a great game, I don't argue against it appearing in the lists of best RPGs, what bothers me is that it often appears as THE best, and again, I honestly find it hard to feel like it's the best in anything, much less so in story and characters, which I argue it's one of the most important, defining factors of a JRPG.
  • infestedandy - July 19, 2012 8:36 p.m.

Haha, this is great. Final Fantasy VI is by far one of the greatest games of all-time. I know I sound condescending here, but to this day the story for this game still resonates with me. Plus, the characters all contribute to the plot and remain ridiculously interesting. As BladedFalcon said, Chrono Trigger is a fantastic game but it has nothing on FFVI. Nothing.
  • tyler_14_420 - July 19, 2012 9:44 p.m.

Chrono Trigger had an interesting story imo. With 17 years now passed, concepts like multiple endings, time-travel... SPOOILER ALERT! and killing off protagonists being common, I can see how a modern playthrough of Chrono Trigger might seem subpar. However, it is historically one of the best RPGs because it sought to succeed in a time period where the technology was new, Final Fantasy was the only well-known RPG (Or at least, for me it was) and it was difficult to break the mould. It brought together a unique cast of characters (A Steampunk Genius, a Red-Haired Swordsman, a Cavewoman, A Robot, and a Cursed Hero) while also bringing a huge revamp into plotline devices into it. For you, who only just played it, it may seem to use a bunch of concepts that other RPGs all have, but Chrono Trigger stands out because it invented those concepts for RPGs, and being able to "use the same concepts" does not mean better. Until I see an RPG that makes a dramatic RPG shift like Chrono Trigger, it will be forever renowned as one of the best RPGs ever made. I'm also extremely glad to see Paper Mario on there. Too many people praise TTYD which I never liked as much as the first. The Paper Visuals were brilliant for a time when Cel-Shading wasn't common (Now we see it making a boom in the likes of: Wind Waker, Team Fortress 2, etc...) and it's cartoony visuals lended itself greatly to the sort of zany land of the mushroom kingdom. It brought a simple yet compelling story (Bowser managed to steal the source of wishes, thus granting himself invulnerability, which explains the long quest to beat him, rather than just the excuse "Oh, well, he's not in this castle, go to the next one." I fail to see any flaws with GR's list. I would put Paper Mario higher but some of the RPGs I'm not super familiar with, so I refuse to make any instant judgements on them. I would like to see a general Best RPG list, as I love RPGs but I appreciate Tales of Symphonia just as much as Paper Mario.
  • BladedFalcon - July 19, 2012 9:57 p.m.

Er... the reasons you're giving here would make Chrono Trigger an IMPORTANT game, an historically significant one. But not necessarily the best game ever, specially not when by your own admission, it hasn't stood the test of time nearly as well, story-wise at least. And while we're on that subject, I am pretty sure that even back then, having a peppy, chirpy princess and a character whose solely defining trait is that she's an inventor and thus she likes to build machines were pretty one note, tired archetypes. it might have been unique to see characters of different time-lines together, but it doesn't really matter if none of them are really ever developed, all of them have a paper-thin personality and motivations. Also, the time period isn't an excuse, because FFVI came out BEFORE CT, and had a much, much better developed, fleshed out cast and story.
  • BladedFalcon - July 19, 2012 10:06 p.m.

OH! and by the way... SPOILER ALERT FOR A 17 YEAR OLD GAME!!! The whole killing of Chrono? Modern or not, that whole thing was honestly pretty sub-par, even back then. It was dramatic, sure, but it didn't feel completely necessary or justified given the situation. And anyway, the whole thing is rendered to be entirely pointless because soon after the entire plot point is dedicated to bring chrono back to life via a convenient and unexplained plot device, and once he's brought back to life, the story continues as if nothing had ever happened. Nothing was really gained or learned from his death, might as well just have never happen, and we would have saved ourselves 5 hours of running around to undo the death. So yeah... Look, I personally dislike FFVII, And i continuously argue against and mock those who consider it to be THE BEST GAME EVAR and shit. However, I CAN understand why the pivotal moment of Aerith's death is so memorable and commented by pretty much anyone: It was permanent. The character itself might have been bland and cliched, but the fact that the game had the balls to kill the supposed and obvious romantic interest, and NEVER bring it back WAS a pretty big deal. And that is why that even though I think it's overrated, at least FFVII did a FAR better job than CT did when taking a big step and killing a playable character.
  • infestedandy - July 20, 2012 3:08 p.m.

About the Final Fantasy VII part; well said. FFVII was a fun game and one that remains fun to this day, but unlike a lot of these fanboys out there, the reason why I believe FFVII stands the test of time is because of its story mechanics as well. Sure, it still has some crazy Japanese moments, but that Aeris scene was incredibly ballsy and still means something to this day. Chrono Trigger, as BladedFalcon has stated, is a great game. It's fun and addictive, but the story behind the game is subpar but not in a bad way. It may seem contradictory for me to say that, but Chrono Trigger does what it needs to do, it's just not nearly as good as Final Fantasy VI's narrative. Everything that happens in that game happens for a reason and there's even some mystery thrown in that still has NEVER been revealed. It reminds me of Book from Firefly in how he never explains who he was with the Alliance, but you kinda already know. Moments like this are important and FFVI deals with them along with the more serious moments better than most contemporary games do. I know it sounds like I'm blowing FFVI up, but that's because I am. That game was a masterpiece and really should be experienced by RPG fans of all kinds.
  • Germaximus - July 19, 2012 7:38 p.m.

One unforgettable one for me is Popful Mail, i dont know if that counts tho. lol
  • IceBlueKirby - July 19, 2012 9:08 p.m.

It's still a JRPG even if it's by a loose definition. I really like Popful Mail too, although I keep getting my ass kicked by the Wood Golem. :\ Anyway, I'm happy to see Chrono Trigger at number one, and Earthbound, FFVI, Persona 4, and Paper Mario on the list. The only change I'd make is putting Super Mario RPG instead of Paper Mario, but that's just nostalgia talking since SMRPG was essentially my first RPG.