Topics

DS DSi top 10

• jackthemenace - September 16, 2012 6:33 a.m.

Little weird how you dingle out Black and White as the best Pokemon games. I'd, personally, have Put HeartGold/SoulSilver there instead, although I probably would've just gone whole hog and said 'the Pokemon games for DS'. Glad to see Spirit Tracks is on there. I really loved it, far more than Phantom Hourglass, and all the bitching and whining people do about it aways makes me a little sad. I'm happy to see there are other people that appreciate it too.
  • Redeater - September 16, 2012 1:22 a.m.

Jesus Christ I wish you guys at GR would stop bringing up that "jet pack" in Scribblenauts. Super Scribblenauts was the superior game for sure but mostly due to improved controls and the addition of adverbs and adjectives. While Scribblenauts allowed you to use a jet pack you were really only limited by your own imagination which I can assume is lacking if you just typed in jet pack for every fucking puzzle. Did you guys also complain back in the day about how Doom 1 or 2 was too easy because it allowed you to turn on god mode?
  • haipayazoo - September 16, 2012 7:18 p.m.

The problem with that logic is that Doom's "God Mode" is a "cheat code" which is used for cheating purposes, while the jet pack is an in-game mechanic that you can utilize. Similar, but still two different things. For example, Demon's Souls is considered by some to be a very difficult game, but there is a way to cheat and get infinite items and souls, while again, the jet pack is a in-game mechanic. (Although, the analogy I used is a bit poor since the the cheat I mentioned is more of a glitch than a cheat, but the concept is relatively the same.)
  • Redeater - September 16, 2012 10:56 p.m.

Ok well another way of looking at it would be if they just set the difficulty of a game to beginner and then complained about the lack of challenge. Both are tools within a game that aren't considered cheating yet both reduce the game to zero challenge. Aside from that I have a suspicion that they barely touched the game. The jet pack was completely unreliable and most stages required you to use a different item each try as you had to finish a stage about 3 times.Obviously this meant you could only use the jet pack once. Regardless, my point is that anyone who says Scribblenauts could be solved simply with the word jet pack clearly hasn't played past the first world.
  • Bantha_Fodder - September 15, 2012 8:22 p.m.

What, Aliens: Infestation got knocked off? That's a shame, I had a blast with that thing. IMO, it's one of the most underrated games one the DS, a perfect swan song, released RIGHT before the 3DS came out.
  • ShortFuse - September 15, 2012 7:59 p.m.

Thanks guys, as someone who can't really afford a 3DS it is nice to get great DS games for cheap to enjoy as I always felt like I neglected mine a little bit.
  • AshLynx - September 15, 2012 7:27 p.m.

Someone else played Might and Magic Clash of Heroes? And here I thought I was the only one....but yeah, it's awesome, and anyone who uses Steam, 360 Arcade, I think it's on PSN too, should get it, because then you can do multiplayer with a human more easily, as I have never met another human with M&M for DS.
  • haipayazoo - September 15, 2012 5:38 p.m.

I am very disappointed to see 999 removed from the new "Best DS Games" list and in its stead Rhythm Heaven.
  • LordEvan88 - September 16, 2012 11:46 a.m.

Or the incredibly lazy port of Chrono Trigger. Kind of blows my mind.
  • haipayazoo - September 16, 2012 1:15 p.m.

Lazy port? How so? Just for curiosity's sake.
  • LordEvan88 - September 16, 2012 6:48 p.m.

I guess Lazy is the wrong word. But it is pretty much unaltered from previous versions. You have a menu on the touchscreen, but its not a serious revamp, and does not differ enough from the PS1 version for me to think of it as its own game. Its a great SNES game, but I think it would be better to have it not take up space on a list of a handheld that is not it's native console and which it has not been rebuilt for (Like Final Fantasy IV).
  • torre-sims - July 5, 2012 9:58 p.m.

aliens infestation...
  • Erwin211 - March 13, 2012 4:34 p.m.

"a floating Miyamoto head" *wince* Really? I'd let it slide if Shinya Arino even looked a bit like Miyamoto. Or if the show wasn't known in the West.
  • alakazam9891 - March 13, 2012 9:05 a.m.

um did you guys really call arino a "floating miyamoto head"
  • Hobogonigal - March 13, 2012 3:08 a.m.

Yay, Trauma Centre! Loved this game on the Wii but number 2 on the DS is also fantastic! Also love Ghost Trick for its creativity and great story. I really have to play more DS games, I still haven't played Ace Attorney or TWEWY yet; and yes I am ashamed to say that!
  • taokaka - March 13, 2012 12:45 a.m.

Great list, I'm a bit disappointed that TWEWY didn't occupy every single slot but I suppose that is for the better. A couple of games I think are worth mentioning but didn't are okamiden, shin megami tensei: devil survivor, big bang mini and radiant historia but other than those you did a fantastic job of including just about every franchise on the DS I like.
  • IronHeaver - September 15, 2012 11:59 p.m.

I too would have been perfectly happy to see TWEWY in every spot >.> but wishes dont come true and my all time favorite game shall remain an under appreciated jem. Personally I would have liked to see Etrian Odyssey 2 on there, but its a tad to niche for a best of all time list.
  • Corsair89 - March 12, 2012 9:30 p.m.

Lets see... Ace Attorney - check Dragon Quest - check Final Fantasy - check Ghost Trick - check Mario & Luigi - check 999 - check Pokemon Black/White - check Professor Layton - check TWEWY - check Yup, this list is correct.
  • aaron-pan - March 12, 2012 7:14 p.m.

No Okamiden and Solatorobo..? Cmon guys :( They were great games! Especially Solatorobo, give the underdog a chance!
  • xarab4lyfex - March 12, 2012 6:33 p.m.

2 things, 1. Just because only one Ace Attorney and Professor Layton game are mentioned, it doesn't mean they're the only good ones. All of them are fantastic games that you really should play. 2. No Okamiden? Considering how much you guys love Okami, I'd think you would like Okamiden too. Other than that great list. This is why the DS in my opinion was the best system of this generation. Just so many good games, that imo were overshadowed by games like ME, COD, Bioshock, Uncharted and other games like that. Not to knock anything from those games, but I just liked the DS one's better.