• Redeater - October 29, 2013 10:38 a.m.

This game is shit. I've come to this decision. Not being able to play it for the first 5-6 hours because of the WMIB (or whatever). Having a newer 360 and constantly having it freeze after 20 minutes. A completely boring/underwhelming intro that doesn't even hold up to AA let alone AC. Inexplicably NOT having Conroy's voice because they wanted a younger sounding Batman yet he sounds even older because he is trying to do a more gravely Conroy but it just doesn't work. The City design is one of the worst I have ever seen. You have to go through narrow archways all the time because they won't let you go around when moving from one are to the next. One of the worst/complicated menu system I have seen in a while. Ugh, I'm going to stop here. There are too many complaints for this game. Whoever scored this on GR was completely off. Destructoid seems to be the only site who has given it the shit it deserves. (Aside from this great GR article).
  • bread_or_decide - October 29, 2013 10:44 a.m.

Gamespot gave it a low score as well.
  • Redeater - October 29, 2013 10:52 a.m.

Oh, also the Deathstroke fight. I beat him after a brutally long battle and it froze on me just after I beat him but before the save point. I beat him a lot easier the second time but the battle is time consuming and not fun in the least, even after I found out I was fighting him the correct way.
  • chriszewski - October 29, 2013 10:17 a.m.

Screw playing games this winter, I'm just gonna curl up with a bunch of Hoots's articles and lose myself for a few months.
  • ObliqueZombie - October 29, 2013 10:14 a.m.

Honestly, what if it's just your Xbox or just the Xbox version? Similar to how Skyrim only seemed to have that literally game-breaking bug and framerate mess when played too long. I know you said it happened on the PC format, too, but the PC format is a fickle one. One game may run smoothly on someone's computer, another's will just chew up the code and spit it back out. I know it's hugely a problem with the game itself not meshing with very common hardware, but it's still a hardware problem nonetheless. I'm not saying I'm excusing them--I have friends who are still bitter about the PS3 Skyrim mess, and I don't blame them. No, never will I excuse a problem that hindering hundreds, even thousands of gamer's enjoyment of a game. But maybe it's not all their fault. A young studio they are, and taking on the mantle of a mutli-platform launch (one wider than many others in recent years) is quite a burden. Not every system codes the same. I'm sorry to hear about your loss, though, David. I do hope it corrects itself quickly.
  • Brett35 - October 29, 2013 9:51 a.m.

Surprisingly enough I'd have to say Origins was by far my favorite Batman game, I enjoyed the story and the combat. I didn't really run into any glitches.
  • Britslop - October 29, 2013 9:45 a.m.

Best way to enjoy Arkham Origins? Ignore the single-player story. Load up a challenge map, stick on the Adam West skin and have the Batman 60s theme tune blasting out while shouting 'Biff', 'Blam', 'Ker-Pow', every time a punch connects. Best Bat-laugh I've had in ages...
  • GR_DavidHoughton - October 29, 2013 9:52 a.m.

Comments like this are the reason I wish we had a 'Like' button.
  • Rhymenocerous - October 29, 2013 9:28 a.m.

"Naturally, like any well-adjusted man of the modern age, I took to Twitter to catalogue my anguish to strangers." Is that a sort of self-deprecating remark? It's hard to tell sometimes... Anyhoo, it's genuinely sad that this isn't a happy "It actually turned out great!" studio switch, as in Bioshock 2's case (although it's rare that people agree with me there).
  • bebl09 - October 29, 2013 11:03 a.m.

I'm sure it was. We Brits love our sarcastic, ironic and self-deprecating humour.
  • shawksta - October 29, 2013 9:10 a.m.

This is a great editorial David, though I feel it's Next Gen that's being rushed, especially with games for 360/PS3 still being developed after the new consoles launch, especially with Games like Ultra Street Fighter 4 that isn't even going to be on Next Gen
  • PlainLikeVanilla - October 29, 2013 8:45 a.m.

"Every sub-species of glitch is there, making up the dubious passenger list for a throbbing Noah’s Ark of technical horrors." Just wanted to compliment you on how fantastic that line is.
  • GR_DavidHoughton - October 29, 2013 8:53 a.m.

Thanks, I did enjoy writing that one.
  • Bloodstorm - October 29, 2013 8:27 a.m.

This has further cemented my decision to wait on picking this title up. Maybe give it a month or two, and pick it up for my PS3 during Black Friday/Cyber Monday, and get it for my PC in the Steam Holiday Sale.
  • Bloodstorm - October 29, 2013 8:28 a.m.

by 'and' I meant 'or'. Ne reason to own this twice :P
  • nash1991 - October 29, 2013 8:18 a.m.

I'm playing it on PC so loading times and frame rate drops haven't been an issue but I did run into the disappearing mission marker on map issue and the comm tower glitching out issue also because now even though I disabled the comm tower, it is inaccessible and I cant disable it again because it's already disabled. Ihope they fix that soon because it's frustrating when I can't use the fast travel point in the whole area even after unlocking it :/
  • Rodpercent - October 29, 2013 8:14 a.m.

I think the comparison to movies and games is a little off only because in a theater there is management. They can make the decision to give money back to people if there is a big enough hoopla. How can gamers do that? I don't have the time to picket WB Montreal for a refund. Also, How ironic would it be if the Wii U version was the best version of the game. That'd make me happy seeing as I have that version.
  • Bloodstorm - October 29, 2013 8:25 a.m.

It's also a bad example because he is comparing mechanical failure of theater equipment to technical failures. If Origin was causing consoles to explode, it would be a valid comparison. The better example would have been that it would have been like watching The Dark Knight, and 3/4 of the way through the CGI became unpolished, and scene transitions became jarring and unfinished.
  • PolarBearsInHeat - October 29, 2013 8:11 a.m.

I am enjoying myself quite a bit, probably because the only issue that I have run into were long loading times and the fact that multiplayer matchmaking has failed to get me into even 1 match. I find the attack animations in combat are a lot more visceral than in Arkham City, and they seem to be vastly more lenient in regards to the time frame you get to counter attacks. I'm super excited to try out I am the Knight mode, cause that sounds like a great time, hopefully they'll have the corrupted save issues ironed out by then.
  • BossTom - October 29, 2013 8:02 a.m.

Playing on 360 with the game installed... 4 freezes so far.. luckly no corrupt save file yet.. Enjoying the game but I am thinking should of waited for AC4 and got Batman when reduced in price and any bugs fixed.
  • Darkhawk - October 29, 2013 8:01 a.m.

"Batman: Arkham City, as it stands now, is potentially a wreck of a game." Oops!