• Person5 - March 27, 2012 4:07 p.m.

There's one thing people don't seem to be thinking about, all of these people are Desmond's ancestors, Desmond is Middle Eastern, Italian, and now Native American? His ancestors got around, that is for sure, that and the fact that Desmond looks pretty white.
  • Fiirestorm21 - March 27, 2012 5:45 p.m.

None of those are particularly far off from white-skinned as it is. Two hundred something years is way more than enough time for Desmond's family to change skin tone. Same for his ancestors getting around. Lots of time pass in between the major three games, especially one and two. An Arab getting with a European leading either immediately or later on to an Italian heritage is not that far-fetched at all, and from there (again, either directly through the Italian ancestors or through Europeans offspring) making their way across the ocean, eventually having children with a Native American.
  • Iolar - April 22, 2012 12:24 a.m.

Yea we realize that, he really doesn't look too white, Francisco Randez is the Guy Desmond is modeled after and he's French canadian with Spanish ancestry, they chose him in particular because he can fit into so many different ethnic groups, I myself am Irish, Russian, English, Filipino, and Peruvian... and I look pretty damn white.
  • demigod2195 - March 27, 2012 1:44 a.m.

what kind of accent does that guy have it sounds almost australian
  • coyoteDUSTER - March 26, 2012 8:18 p.m.

Not a big AC fan, but this one looks like it could be AWESOME! Paying attention to this game.
  • winner2 - March 26, 2012 7:05 p.m.

At this point, this is the only thing that grabs my attention anywhere close to as much as bioshock infinite. Looks and sounds awesome so far, can't wait for more info. And really interested in the new character, I hope I like him as much as, if not more than Ezio.
  • Meleedragon27 - March 26, 2012 3:54 p.m.

I have faith that Ubisoft won't make the game all "AMERRICUH FUCK YEAH" - the dev team probably knows better than to make the Revolution one-sided like that (the patriots were hardly angels themselves... and were also kinda batshit crazy). The super-patriotic vibes that we've been getting so far (that trailer, the special editions, etc.) are likely just something the marketing department thought up to draw in a larger American crowd. Looking forward to the game. Hopefully, the developers will be able to spin things up enough to make the series fresh again without alienating any of their existing fans.
  • Fiirestorm21 - March 27, 2012 5:48 p.m.

The thing that gets me is that the developer is the Canadian arm of a French company. They're not American, and even as far as their being Canadian goes, Montreal is French Canada, rather than "American" (-like) Canada to the West. There's not a whole lot of basis for thinking they'd go with an "America, Fuck Yeah!" approach. Then again, people also bitched about there not being any cities in colonial America, so...
  • Fiirestorm21 - March 27, 2012 5:50 p.m.

Just looked down a few comments and saw BladedFalcon making the same point. I rest my case.
  • EwoksTasteLikeChicken - March 26, 2012 3:42 p.m.

Really great preview, this is definitly my number 1 game for this year.
  • Fetalspray - March 26, 2012 1:59 p.m.

Sounds awesome, but I'm still not convinced its not going to be "AMERICUUR FUCK YEAH! WE HAVE GOT TO KILL THE REDCOATS!!! AMERICUUR FUCK YEAH! THE BRITISH ARE THE EVIL TEMPLARS!!!", even after reading the the last few paragraphs.
  • BladedFalcon - March 26, 2012 2:29 p.m.

...Why do people keep thinking this when ubisoft is a FRENCH company, and not an American one? Yes, the AC series has take some extremes in the past by glorifying not so noble figures, and demonizing others.But I have never gotten the impression they have taken the side of any one nation. Heck, if anything, the franchise has not pulled any punches in attacking prominent American figures such as Ford and Edison. So people pre-emtively accusing or worrying that the game will be shamelesly pro-american are kinda ignorant, really...
  • bebl09 - March 26, 2012 3:10 p.m.

@BladedFalcon: http://www.gamesradar.com/assassins-creed-iii-special-editions-detailed-new-trailer-released/ Two of the special editions are the 'Freedom Edition' and the 'Join or Die Edition', both of which are basically "AMERICUHH, FUCK YEAH!" editions.
  • samsneeze - March 26, 2012 4:12 p.m.

Because it would make so much more sense to call them... I got nothing. But I doubt anything else would actually make sense given the context of the game. Besides, you can look at the title for both of the collections from the Assassin's point of view and they'd still make perfect sense. People are just doing what they do best, finding faults in things without looking towards a solution.
  • BladedFalcon - March 26, 2012 4:16 p.m.

Considering the American revolution is where the USA was basically was born, it's kinda obvious that most forms of media entertainment are going to portray the revolutionaries in a favorable light, this is not specific to this one game. However, viewing the event that marked the birth of a nation in a favorable light, does not actually make it a "FUCK YEAH SHAMELESS PATRIOTISM" story, specially since it's going to use the setting more as a backdrop for the AC's universe than anything else. Furthermore, in my opinion, the game would only come across as shamelessly patriotic if they portrayed all the revolutionaries as supermen without flaws, or dabbled in cheesy inspiring speeches. Simply using the revolution as a backdrop doesn't automatically make it a "AMERICUHH, FUCK YEAH" story. Besides, what exactly do the bashers expect? that they would portray the redcoats and the British as the heroes? or as misunderstood? it's as if people watched a movie about India's independence, and expected to see Gandhi portrayed as the villain >_> Basically, what I'm trying to say is that it's honestly hard to objectively accuse the game of anything until it actually comes out, and we see for ourselves is the story is shameless American pandering or not. And again, considering that the publisher is French, the director is Australian, and that the series hasn't shied out on attacking any side or nation when they see fit. I honestly doubt it will turn out that way.
  • bebl09 - March 26, 2012 4:41 p.m.

I'm not saying they can't portray one side favourably, I just found it slightly ironic that they specifically said that they won't be all in favour of the revolutionaries but then used names like that for the special editions lol. No one should be portrayed as heroes or anything, it should just be objective, as it's only a backdrop to the narrative focusing on the Assassins and the Templars. Not that I'm accusing them of not being objective, I'm in no way jumping to conclusions about the story, I just found the names for the special editions ironic. I wasn't making any judgements about the story itself, although the guy who originally commented kinda was haha.
  • BladedFalcon - March 26, 2012 5:11 p.m.

Ahh, fair enough, yeah, in that case, i do not disagree with your statement. Since those names for the special editions DO sound at odds with what the director said XD Then again, like another commenter said, such is the business of marketing...
  • bebl09 - March 26, 2012 6:32 p.m.

Haha yeah I'm sure it's all marketing. It's aimed at the kind of people who actually called them 'freedom fries' :P
  • BladedFalcon - March 26, 2012 8:15 p.m.

...Lmao, people did that? XD *Facepalms* ...On second thought, of course people did that... Far more retarded things are done in a daily basis >>;
  • bebl09 - March 26, 2012 8:35 p.m.

Haha yep, when America got pissed off at France cause they wouldn't join their illegal war in Iraq, they renamed everything with the word 'French' in the title to 'freedom' instead, ie freedom fries, freedom toast...