• Arobadope - January 11, 2014 5:34 p.m.

Sorry but....how the hell does Remember Me having a female protagonist add to it being so close to a great game? Seriously, who cares if the protagonist is male or female, Tomb Raider is remembered as a great series of games (excluding a few) because they are solid GAMES not because Lara Croft is a female hero. She just adds to the iconography of the game, much like Samus does to Metroid.
  • Felxon - January 11, 2014 9:43 p.m.

It's because women are a hugely underepresented part of gaming. Even female side characters are rarely as deep or well-written as male characters in any medium and that is why having a proper, well made female lead character is a big deal.
  • Arobadope - January 12, 2014 7:50 a.m.

Lolwut? Sorry but that doesn't make it a big deal, nearly all lead characters in videogames are developed well, male, female, alien species, what have you. Simply saying because she's a female that adds to the game being great is hilarious stupid imo.
  • Felxon - January 12, 2014 11:53 p.m.

No no you missunderstand. Having a well made female character doesn't necesarily add to the quality of the actual game, but think about the shere men-to-women ratio in video game characters and you may see how a female lead (a GOOD female lead) can be good for the industry in general.
  • alllifeinfate - December 11, 2014 7:37 p.m.

Definitely echo on this statement...
  • MrPkhead - January 10, 2014 3:28 p.m.

Totally agree about the tailing missions in Black Flag, major pain in the proverbial, and I know I'm somewhat missing the point here, but do preying mantises really eat their young? Bunch of rascals.
  • Eightboll812 - January 10, 2014 9:14 a.m.

How about the worst ad on the GR feed...and the winner is the Neverwinter Nights ad. I mean really, a busty Lich woman in a corset?? Extremely disturbing on many levels.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - January 10, 2014 10:09 a.m.

Gotta corner the necrophiliac MMO player market!
  • Pruman - January 10, 2014 8:37 a.m.

The XBONE fiasco, from the rumors leading up to the reveal to the reversal, was my personal most-hated gaming event of the year. I used to call the 360 my favorite system after the SNES, and now I want the XBONE to fail as hard as the Zune. Way to go, Microsoft!
  • qualopec_1 - January 11, 2014 2 a.m.

Some one here needs therapy.
  • Mdgeist316 - January 10, 2014 8:13 a.m.

I remember my disappointment when I bought Aliens: Colonial Marines and returned it a day later. If not for Ride to Hell, I'd say it was the worst game of 2013. It's also why I don't let myself get pulled into the hype for any future Alien games no matter how good it looks.
  • Temperance11 - January 10, 2014 5:44 a.m.

I look forward to this and The Week of Hate every year! Did not disappoint guys, good job.
  • bedelicious - January 10, 2014 4:07 a.m.

What about DmC? I can't decide between writing and PR campaign... Come on, you know it deserves at least one ^^
  • BladedFalcon - January 10, 2014 8:41 a.m.

Not really. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of the remake, (And in fact, I do think the new Dante to be more annoying than charming) there's nothing that even comes close to bad, much less awful about the game. At worst you can claim it's lesser than any of the other DmCs, but even then it's a technically very sound game.
  • bedelicious - January 10, 2014 9:29 a.m.

Personally, I found at least a few aspects of the game to be quite atrocious. And the way NT handled the PR campaign was just bad. But I understand that not everybody sees it that way xD
  • BladedFalcon - January 10, 2014 11:43 a.m.

Exactly what parts of the game you found to be atrocious? kinda hard to know what you're talking about if you don't specify :P And sure, NT and Capcom didn't do a great job with the publicity, but that has nothing to do with the game itself.
  • bedelicious - January 10, 2014 12:03 p.m.

I thought the writing was especially atrocious. The characters were badly written and had awful dialogue. The gameplay, while not super bad on its own, was really bad when compared to previous titles (DMC2 aside) - dumbed down difficulty, color-coded enemies, no lock on, bad framerate, no styles, giving SSS ranks like they are nothing, etc., etc. I just mentioned the PR campaign as a worthy contended for an anti award xD And while it might have a direct correlation with the game quality, when a developer makes such high claims about the quality of the game they are producing, they should really deliver on them... which I think they didn't.
  • BladedFalcon - January 10, 2014 12:34 p.m.

Eh, to each their own, but I honestly feel like you're exaggerating in all counts. The writing was annoying at times, but it wasn't awful by any means. (For example... watch any video of ride to hell: retribution. THAT is truly awful dialogue.) The gameplay was completely fine on it's own, and even compared to the rest of the series, it wasn't awful. Yes, it wasn't as hard or as technical as say, DMC 3, but the combat was fun and responsive, the lock on wasn't really necessary as the camera usually was positioned where it needed to be. The enemies weren't all color coded, and when they were, it serve a clear game-play purpose, and it was a good way to force you switch up your attacks and strategies. Honestly, most of your complaints feel like it's stuff you dislike because it differs from what the other games did, or your own prejudices about the game, and not so much because the game is actually BAD. I mean, again, look at any of the games that are in this list for being crappy, look at colonial marines, look at ride to hell... Fuck, if you want to see what a BAD action game like DMC looks like, look at say, the Thor game that came out in 2011. THAT is a shitty and atrocious game. With DMC, the most you can say it's that it's just not as good as the previous DMCs, and that's fair. But That doesn't automatically make it a bad game. And again, I don't even like DmC that much, to me it's a 7 out of 10 kind of game, and i thought Metal Gear: Rising was a much more fun game of the same kind of genre, but DmC is STILL a pretty solid game nevertheless.
  • bedelicious - January 10, 2014 2:20 p.m.

That's just how I feel about the game. From my perspective, I can say that you're giving it too much slack. But that's stupid, we can't all have the same opinion about the game, you know xD Is it the worst game ever, or even one of the worst ever? Probably not. But I find it pretty awful in many respects. I wouldn't have liked even it if it was a separate game, but since it isn't, I won't judge it as one. It is a part of the series and to top it off, it was supposed to reinvent and better the franchise, not be a step down in pretty much every respect. But it all comes down to personal opinion. I understand that you think the game is not as bad as I find it to be and I don't have a problem with that at all xD
  • BladedFalcon - January 10, 2014 2:29 p.m.

Sure thing, likewise, I'd claim that yours is a an overreaction, since even if it IS a game that's lesser than other from the franchise, it doesn't automatically make it worthless . But like you said, difference in opinion, and if you feel that strongly about it, that's fine. I just responded in the first place to explain why you probably didn't see the game in the Anti-awards, and why i agreed with that choice XD