• Outofmanyone - January 7, 2014 3:11 p.m.

Latency is the issue, as it has been with OnLive and other services. I think it may be achievable once we have faster internet speeds, which is why I hope Google Fiber succeeds. At my house, we still have problems streaming true HD at a consistent frame rate - 1 gigabit per second would do wonders for streaming period. If only AT&T and Verizon would wise up..
  • rainn'sgaydar - January 7, 2014 2:40 p.m.

This is awesome if it works, but I'm skeptical that it will. Especially at launch (think Diablo 3, Sim City). What concerns me most is how slow Sony was at getting PS2 games to PSN for PS3. And they're only promising 4 games at launch? (I think I saw that.) I imagine the monthly subscription will be $15-20, which would be expensive if you ask me. But the rental service may be worthwhile. I guess we'll see how it all plays out. Now to find out how to get into that closed beta...
  • rainn'sgaydar - January 7, 2014 2:41 p.m.

But wow. What a great piece of news to kick off the year!
  • shawksta - January 8, 2014 12:51 a.m.

DEFINITELY, 2014 is off to a great start.
  • rainn'sgaydar - January 8, 2014 3:23 a.m.

Wasn't there an excellent January Nintendo Direct last year that set the pace for the year too? Seems like I remember there being one and it bringing a ton of news.
  • shawksta - January 8, 2014 10 a.m.

I cant remember if it was January or Febuary but your right. It might not catch up yet, if not because of the whopping news we got back in December with Hyrule Warriors and Smash. Frankly its almost a year since we first heard of Yarn Yoshi with no other news info after, im really curious how it turns out.
  • shawksta - January 8, 2014 10:06 a.m.

Looking at the archive, pretty much, yeah. January started with the whole Pokemon X and Y reveal and then another direct in the month that showed Yarn Yoshi, more Miiverse and Aunoma talking about how they are working hard on Zelda and "Rethinking the Conventions" while revealing Wind Waker HD to hold people off, Monolith Soft's X and the announcement that Mario kart, 3D Mario and Smash would be at E3. February was the announcement of the Year of Luigi and stuff like Dream Team were revealed.
  • shawksta - January 8, 2014 10:07 a.m.

and last but not least Fire Emblem X SMT
  • rainn'sgaydar - January 8, 2014 10:43 a.m.

So basically, we have some precedent set to make us believe we could get some more big news this month. I would think Nintendo would consider last year's model a success, at the least. Of course, they would have to have some games ready to make the Direct worthwhile. Or at least new details on several of the ones you mentioned, Yarn Yoshi and MK8 especially. I guess we'll see
  • shawksta - January 8, 2014 10:58 a.m.

Yeah, but still, one shouldnt set expectations too high, despite the fact that the chat is always spewing the game comments of wanting "___" I like it more when i expect a casual Nintendo direct only to be surprised by the other things. December especially just had a bunch of stuff announced and literally ready to download and play once the direct finished.
  • freeden - January 7, 2014 2:35 p.m.

I'm excited. I've always been miffed by the idea that Sony kind of screwed fans by removing reverse gaming capabilities. I feel like there should never have been a shelf life on older games and having a bunch of old systems stacking up. Considering the costs of making a system backwards compatible, this seems like the best win-win for both Sony and the players. I would gladly pay a reasonable monthly fee to be able to play my favorite PS2 games and the PS3 games I missed. But I will likely wait on this. I imagine it will have bugs and such when it first arrives, so I'll wait till it gets ironed out a bit.
  • MorangeR18 - January 7, 2014 1:45 p.m.

I think like $10/mo for full access to all games would be something I would pay. For a specific title, maybe a $5/mo subscription for as long as you play the game. When you no longer wish to rent it, have an option to remove it from your Library. Again, this isn't viable because if you want just 3 games, and the full subscription were to be $10, it makes more sense to rent them all. The service needs to be at a cost sufficient to keep the servers at state of the art technology and be able to handle very large amounts of bandwidth. We're talking routers/switches that carry 100Gbps here. Very expensive to have and maintain
  • universaltofu - January 7, 2014 1:26 p.m.

This seems cool, and also upsets me that it isn't coming from Nintendo, I mean they pretend it's party time when they roll out the arcade donkey kong, it's going to be a long time before we get to gamecube titles.