• Jaylisjayp - June 19, 2013 5:30 p.m.

What a way to force a story to stay topical with today's news. No journalistic standards these days. In any event... - The first five things on this list are things the vast majority of gamers obviously couldnt give a crap about.Nobody was asking for these "benefits." - Stop trying to push PC methods on console gamers. I dont care how great steam is. I still wsnt discs and Illorganize them however I want. - How in the world would this cause prices to stay higher longer? Do you have any grasp of how quickly games drop in price these days? Theyre like $40 the same week theyre released and down to $25 within the month. Plus it keeps developers and publishers somewhat honest because really crappy games (Colonial Marines) drop in price even faster. Reporting anything to the contrary as "fact" is a pretty big joke. Even Wii U games used are cheap more many of them. The discs will further that trend well into the next gen.
  • EAC73 - June 19, 2013 5:40 p.m.

I would love to find a copy of the last us for $40 bucks by next week, but game prices don't drop that fast. I thought the shared game library would be nice, so if my family decides to by a second console, we only need one copy of the game. They were not pushing PC gaming everyone, they are just stating the fact that PC has great sales, and Microsoft had the opportunity to do so, if they went for more digital distribution.
  • EAC73 - June 19, 2013 6:55 p.m.

But does that work for only PSN titles?, excuse me for not being familiar with PSN
  • robinkurosaki - June 19, 2013 5:14 p.m.

now what i have to say is this, where is the full article of what Microsoft have said? as what i can see there is nothing of microsoft actually saying they are ditching these features, just an article that you have made with your take on how it will be. personally i think MS have just one a lot of plaudits, people power won for once in this world. which is a good sign for the world in general. It shows they do listen and hopefully will continue to do so. they have definitely put a spanner in the works now, i dont feel its so much as 'ps4 no question' now. There is now a very real choice, admittedly i was and still am not sure what to go for i.e ps4, xb1, or gaming rig. but atleast it now seems more of a level playing field. now just think if microsoft decided to implement full back compat. id be all over it, there would be no decision to be made
  • SpadesSlick - June 19, 2013 5:08 p.m.

I still hope they find a way to implement these features, I would hate to see such interesting potential that Microsoft's digital side had be discarded because people bitched about used games.
  • Desann - June 19, 2013 4:59 p.m.

Your game library won't be digital: Well, yeah it will. Especially if you buy your games digitally. If you're prone to losing or scratching discs, or hate having to put discs in to play a game, then buy it digitally like you were going to before. All games are coming out day and date digital, so it's your choice. Choice is good. You can't share your library with 10 family members: that might be gone, but as you said, there's really no technical reason. Why are you blaming us for that? Seems like they were looking for an excuse to not do it. I was already thinking of how easy it would be for my cousin and I to trade off buying games and each spend half as much money on them while still getting to play them all. That just never sounded like something they'd willingly do, and here they are telling us they're not going through with it after all. Huh. But they (and you) are couching it as a side-effect of getting rid of the DRM. It's not. There's no gifting purchased games online: I'd rather be able to lend a game and be able to get it back than to just give it, but again, there's still no reason they couldn't let us do that with our digitally-bought games if they wanted to. They just don't want us to. Seems like they didn't think it through enough initially. There's less potential for game price drops: Why? How? What difference does it make now? The digital storefront is still just that, and they can still put things on sale whenever they want to. Their games were still going to be sold on discs in physical stores, just like now, so all the deals with them are unchanged. You could still rent the games, trade them in and resell them. That hasn't changed, except it doesn't have to be with "participating retailers". There's still the same potential for Microsoft to give us good deals as there would have been, and as there is right now. That they don't do that sort of thing already means you shouldn't have held your breath. But whether they do or not won't have anything to do with this.
  • AcidSpitter - June 19, 2013 4:48 p.m.

Sad day. I could understand the distaste over 24-hour checking. It didn't affect me personally, but I do understand where it ruins things for others. Still these features were what I was excited about with the new xbox and now they're gone. Completely just changed my mind on this console as I don't like the idea of spending $500 for the same console I have sitting on my shelf. Was looking forward to the more digitized side of console gaming. Le sigh
  • PanicJester - June 19, 2013 4:45 p.m.

The only "great" feature i see is the sharing with 10 family members feature, which i would gladly trade for these new DMR changes.
  • Z-man427 - June 19, 2013 4:36 p.m.

Newsflash: They can still do all of these without restrictive DRM. The two are not joined.
  • PlainLikeVanilla - June 19, 2013 4:38 p.m.

Amen
  • justin-parr - June 19, 2013 5 p.m.

Shhhh don't tell them that how will MS get them to pay extra now?
  • antiAntag0nist - June 19, 2013 4:30 p.m.

I was never up in arms about the policies Microsoft originally had in place for the Xbox One (although I wasn't too crazy about the 24 hour check in). The features that MS were bringing with the XB1 were interesting, and I hope they can make a return in the future.
  • LoboMau - June 19, 2013 4:25 p.m.

About the price drops, I'm not too sure about that. I think that was just a scheme to get people excited for the "new" (now old) policies. As a matter of fact, they said that the 1st party games would be sold at 60$ and this was before don's announcement. So, the "previous" system would never be like Steam. And don't get me started on the price of the current digital copies of xbox 360's games... As for the other things, like the share system and such, I'm not too sure, but I've seen comments saying that these changes that were announced are optional. This would mean that users could still activate the previous policies which in turn would make all the previous features work as they were initially announced.
  • LoboMau - June 19, 2013 4:37 p.m.

Oh and regarding the cloud computing: unless that game was an xbox exclusive, I doubt it would be taking that much advantage of xbox's servers (if at all). For instance, consider a multiplatform game, it would certanly be easier to make all those calculations on the machine (as it would require less code to change and verify) because playstation and pc's don't have such a feature.
  • PlainLikeVanilla - June 19, 2013 4:24 p.m.

Yeah I'm fine with losing all of these in exchange for less shitty DRM. I would also trade every other feature the system has except playing games to get rid of kinect.
  • justin-parr - June 19, 2013 4:55 p.m.

Agreed, lose the kinect.
  • BladedFalcon - June 19, 2013 4:22 p.m.

...Is this article being sarcastic or not? I can't tell ._. Either way, personally, I don't mind at all losing every single of these "great" features. Specially because that last one is nothing but pure speculation on you guys part. There was absolutely no guarantee that Digital prices would become cheaper like in steam. You people keep making that comparison, yet that's super flawed because steam is a service with TON of competitors on the PC market, which is what compels them to create those offers. Look at one of said competitors for example, EA's Origin. You see great price drops there? NOPE. And again, this is in a market with competition. Micrososft ruling supreme in their own console would have no competition, and no reason whatsoever to make steam-like offers. Think a little guys, please.
  • Mr.YumYums - June 20, 2013 9:09 a.m.

A few features that I do mourn are the digital library and the interesting "cloud power" system and servers. I know people would just be drawn to say "better graphics does not equal a better game", which I do agree on. What I would like people to understand is that better and more powerful hardware indeed DOES equal a better game, not only on a graphical stand point but the game overall. Bigger games, with bigger maps. More realized and believable AI fighting or aiding you in game. Attention to detail would skyrocket making the ambient and the overall feel of the game to be closer to the Devs vision. All of this, i feel, would have been possible with the cloud powered system of servers aiding your Xbox One, Microsoft doing all of the processing power. I do agree some of the things Microsoft brought to the table were not my cup of tea, but man did you guys missed out on some amazing potential. But to each his/her own, I'll stick with PC.
  • BladedFalcon - June 20, 2013 11:21 a.m.

Potential that you have no idea if it would have worked. Yeah, cloud computing sounds kinda cool, but have we actually seen it work yet? Remember, the thing with a lot of untested technologies, specially in gaming, is that while they might sound cool in paper, translating into actual better gaming is very different and difficult. Remember how everyone thought the wii and motion controls would revolutionize and change gaming forever and for the better? Yeeeeeah, look where that got us.... The same goes with cloud computing, specially when you had reports from people saying that MS did NOT have the infrastructure necessary to make that work. So even if everything had stayed the same, there's a chance that would have never come trough. and if it had, we have no idea if it would have worked as promised. So yeah... Sorry, but i don't think consumer rights were worth sacrificing in favor of something that may or may not have been cool.
  • Mr.YumYums - June 20, 2013 11:29 a.m.

So much for innovation and actually trying it then. This is the overall thought process I'm getting from reading most comments, and if people are shooting down the idea before even trying it then, oh well. I just wish consoles weren't the money makers, if devs focused more on games for PCs then with be lightyears away. But that's for some other time. I guess, like I said, I'll stick to PC. (Something that is shunned upon around this website for some reason)