Mafia 3 is coming, but 2K Games won't sing like a canary until next week. 2K Games released a teaser image for the game promising to show off an announcement trailer on August 5 at 8 am Eastern / 1 pm UK time, and more at a private Gamescom presentation.
Mafia 3 takes place in a "a beautifully crafted game world featuring period-accurate cars, music and fashion," according to 2K, so don't expect it to abandon the franchise's historical focus for a modern-day crime story. Assuming the four cars in that teaser image aren't all old and beat up by the time we're seeing them, it looks like Mafia 3 will be set in the late '60s to '70s. Also, one of the four standing figures looks to be a woman with a big, round Afro, which remains an iconic hairstyle of that era.
Now that you're warmed up with the standard guesswork, here's some more hypotheses from the GR+ thinktank:
- If you look at the second silhouette from the left, you can see that it's actually two figures: one standing tall, the other kneeling dejectedly. Seems the poor devil's about to sleep with the fishes - or in this case, alligators.
- You didn't think those three objects in the foreground were logs, did you? The gators are kicking up wakes as they swim excitedly toward the shore, indicating that they've grown accustomed to this corpse disposal routine.
- Judging by the alligators and swampy surroundings, Mafia 3's setting may be partly based on Louisiana. Both Mafia and Mafia 2were set in New York City/Chicago-inspired environs, so a fictional take on New Orleans would definitely be a change of pace.
- Note that there are four standing silhouettes and four cars. They all came here separately, which could just mean they're busy people with disco clubs to attend after they finish offing this guy. On the other hand it could mean four intertwining crime stories to swap between, as in GTA 5, or perhaps even four-player co-op.
- Rick Pasqualone, who starred as Vito Scaletta in Mafia 2, teased earlier this year that he "might have some exciting news" about the Mafia franchise soon. Vito would be getting a little old for late-night swamp murder by the time we're theorizing Mafia 3 will take place… so maybe they're the next generation of his crime family?
That's all we've come up with so far. We'll find out how accurate our informed guesswork was when Mafia 3 makes its grand debut next week.
Seen something newsworthy? Tell us!