The latest Anthem patch notes have no sunshine and joy for longtime players. Developer BioWare shared the next set of changes headed to the game in Anthem update 1.1.1 in a post on Reddit, and though it fixed a few annoying bugs, two changes are less welcome to longtime players: the removal of Elysian Caches and a fix for an exploitable glitch that would yield extra loot from the same encounter.
Elysian Caches are special in-game chests that hold decals, vinyls, and other items for cosmetically customizing your Javelins. They're found at the end of Strongholds and can only be opened with Elysian Keys, which are earned by completing daily in-game challenges. In a game that has left end-game players in want of more stuff to do, it was a regular and rewarding loop, and it unfortunately ended today (May 7) with the removal of Elysian caches.
To be fair, BioWare said from the beginning that Elysian caches would only be a temporary part of Anthem, and a community manager said on Reddit there's "a chance that they'll come back again at some point". Nonetheless, removing them without announcing any kind of a replacement to keep players engaged (as BioWare delays features like Guilds and Mastery) is a bad look.
It's compounded by a fix for that loot glitch: players found that finishing some of the enemies in an encounter then running away and starting the encounter again would let them loot the same creatures twice, increasing the potential rewards with only a little extra effort. You can't expect BioWare to leave exploits like this unaddressed, but again, with no other announcements to make about how players can look forward to a more loot-rich future, it's a worse look.
Here are the full Anthem patch notes for update 1.1.1.
- Fixed an error where Weapon and Components stat values were not displaying correctly.
- Fixed a problem where suit power level (rarity) was not correctly being calculated based on equipped items.
- Fixed an issue with Spanish audio in a conversation in the Sunken Cell stronghold.
- Fixed an issue with French audio in a conversation in the Sunken Cell stronghold.
- Fixed an issue causing a slight delay in Salvaging at End of Expedition
- Partially defeated encounters will no longer re-dispense loot from previously defeated creatures.
- [PC ONLY] – Right-clicking an item to salvage it at the end of expedition screen now requires the mouse button to be held.
If you're looking forward to what comes next, make sure you check out our guide to video game release dates. Or see what's new in games and entertainment this week with our latest Release Radar video.