The People Can Fly developed Gears prequel debuted at No.1 for the week ended March 23 despite only recording a quarter of the launch week sales managed by the last game in the series, September 2011’s Gears of War 3.
The second highest new entry was The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct. The Xbox 360 version of Activision’s game accounted for 66 per cent of sales, the PS3 version for 33 per cent, and the Wii U version for one per cent.
3DS and Wii U release Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate debuted at No.7, with the portable version generating 55 per cent of sales. Retail monitor Chart-Track said the Wii U edition accounted for almost half of the value generated by all software for the system last week.
- Gears of War Judgment (Microsoft)
- Tomb Raider (Square Enix)
- The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct (Activision)
- FIFA 13 (EA)
- Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 (City Interactive)
- God of War: Ascension (Sony)
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom)
- SimCity3 (EA)
- Far Cry 3 (Ubisoft)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Activision)
We said in our Gears of War Judgment review: “Judgment evolves the franchise, giving it a strong, new identity without diminishing the events of the original trilogy.”