Super Smash Bros. Ultimate director doesn't count on there being another game
Sakurai isn't sure what the future holds for the series
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
GamesRadar+
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup
Hardware nerds unite, sign up to our free tech newsletter for a weekly digest of the hottest new tech, the latest gadgets on the test bench, and much more.
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Sign up to our new Switch 2 newsletter, where we bring you the latest talking points on Nintendo's new console each week, bring you up to date on the news, and recommend what games to play.
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Subscribe for a weekly digest of the movie and TV news that matters, direct to your inbox. From first-look trailers, interviews, reviews and explainers, we've got you covered.
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate director Masahiro Sakurai has said it's best not to assume there'll be another entry in the long-running series.
Speaking to IGN, the veteran fighting game developer has said there are currently no plans to return to the Super Smash Bros. series. "It would be best not to assume that there will always be another one," Masahiro Sakurai added when asked about potential future instalments.
If Super Smash Bros. did return with another entry however, Sakurai isn't sure if it'd feature every character offered in the gargantuan roster of Ultimate. The latest entry in the fighting franchise features 82 fighters in total (including DLC characters), and Sakurai thinks that it wouldn't be possible to maintain such numbers for another game without completely breaking the development budget.
In fact, a return to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate isn't the only thing Sakurai is uncertain about right now. The director explains to IGN that he may "not necessarily continue with creating more games," as he could potentially go down a different career path. Sakurai isn't even sure if his next venture will see him staying in the games industry, but he does highlight that he's keeping an open mind.
So far at least, Sakurai has been quiet on his future since Super Smash Bros. Ultimate rounded out development earlier this month with one final balancing patch. The director always maintained that Kingdom Hearts' Sora would mark the final addition to the base game, and development would cease soon after, but he's never openly commented on his personal future, or the future of the series at large, until now.
Check out our guide to the best fighting games if you're after another brawler to try out.
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more

Hirun Cryer is a freelance reporter and writer with Gamesradar+ based out of U.K. After earning a degree in American History specializing in journalism, cinema, literature, and history, he stepped into the games writing world, with a focus on shooters, indie games, and RPGs, and has since been the recipient of the MCV 30 Under 30 award for 2021. In his spare time he freelances with other outlets around the industry, practices Japanese, and enjoys contemporary manga and anime.


