First up this is the first official trailer for Star Wars Battlefront, showing an impressive battle between Rebel and Imperial forces across Endor. DICE and EA swear this isn't CGI with design assistant producer Jesper Nielsen stating "this is how it looks right now - on PS4".
Here are a few key details to take in now that you've seen Battlefront in action:
• Battles will include up to 40 players
• You can take control of characters like Darth Vader and Boba Fett - after meeting certain in-match conditions
• You can fly X-Wings, TIE Fighters, and the Millenium Falcon
• "Battle of Jakku", taking place right after Return of the Jedi, will be added as a free DLC map - pre-orderers get it on Dec. 1, everybody else gets it Dec. 8
• Rebels can equip jetpacks on Endor, while Imperials get speeders and AT-ATs
• Other maps include Hoth, Tatooine, and Sullust
• It will release on Nov. 17 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC
While the trailer above begins and ends with PlayStation branding Xbox’s marketing manager, Aaron Greenberg, tweeted that you'll be able to "play it first on Xbox One" at a fan who'd previously @-replied EA Access, leading many to speculate that the game might have an early presence on EA's subscriber service. Battlefield Hardline had a similar deal and that saw 10 hours of the game available a week early for members.
Design director Niklas Fegraeus has also tweeted out a ton of info, including the option for a first or third person view:
• We have 4 iconic planets & on those many maps to play on. We're going to take you places you've never been before.
• We have a feature called Missions that allow you to play solo or cooperatively with bots on or offline, in local splitscreen on your console, or online coop.
• There will be more maps than 8, and more than two per planet at launch.
• You will be able to pilot AT-STs, as well as many more iconic vehicles, like X-wings and Tie fighters.
• When playing as a soldier, you can freely choose between 1st and 3rd person views whenever you want.
• You will be able to take to the skies over our planets and dogfight with squadrons of starfighters.
• The battle of Jakku is not a day one DLC, it is free content we want you all to have as soon as it is done.
• Yes, the trailer was filmed in engine, using our in-game models.
• We have focused on the original trilogy.
• It is both different and similar in many ways. This is why we have done a reboot instead of calling it Battlefront 3.
• So far we have only revealed Vader and Boba Fett [as playable characters]. More will come.
• It's 60 fps!
An EA Star Wars Q&A also revealed this lot as well:
• Star Wars Battlefront will feature four planets including Endor, Hoth, Tatooine and the unexplored Sullust.
• We’re not revealing all the modes today but one we can tell you about is Walker Assault, an epic 40-player multiplayer mode.
• We’re staying true to the universe and using destruction where it makes sense.