Unsurprisingly Fallout 76 microtransactions are a little bit of a contentious issue. They only buy cosmetic stuff but the prices have been all over the place for the most part and often on the bad side of expensive. If you want to know all about Fallout 76 Atoms - the in-game currency - then we'll fill you in. You can earn Atoms from just about everything you do in the game, from killing monsters to collecting stuff and completing challenges. So there's a steady trickle that's always coming in to spend on character and weapon skins, as well as decorative stuff for your CAMP.
Here's how Fallout 76 microtransactions work and what you can do with the cash you earn.
- Fallout 76 tips
- Fallout 76 CAMP tips
- Fallout 76’s online world is the perfect way to explore its prequel setting and tell a fresh story
What are Atoms in Fallout 76?
The Fallout 76 microtransaction currency is called Atoms, a form of in-game money you can buy with real world cash or earn in-game by completing various challenges. Bethesda’s Pete Hines has stated that the game will “throw them at you all the time” as you play. Our experience with the Fallout 76 beta so far would support that, with almost every activity earning a few Atoms.
How do you earn Atoms in Fallout 76?
Atoms are earned in Fallout 76 by completing numerous small challenges. In the first two hours of the Fallout 76 beta we’d earned 140 Atoms simply by playing through the game’s opening. You get then for killing enemies, crafting, exploring and loads more. Here’s a full list of all the challenges we’ve seen so far that earn Atom in Fallout 76:
- Kill an enemy +10 Atoms
- Harvest wild plants and Fungi +10 Atoms
- Kill Scorched +10 Atoms
- Kill a creature +10 Atoms
- Discover the Overseers Camp +10 Atoms
- Collect a Bobblehead, Holotape, or Magazine +10 Atoms
- Craft or scrap a ranged weapon +10 Atoms
- Craft a piece of armour +10 Atoms
- Explore Appalachia for an hour +10 Atoms
- Boil Water +10 Atoms
- Equip a Perk Card +10 Atoms
- Cook a meal +10 Atoms
- Deploy a CAMP to settle Appalachia +10 Atoms
- Build a furnishing or workshop in CAMP +10 Atoms
Can you buy Atoms in Fallout 76, and how much do they cost?
While you can earn Atoms in-game you can totally buy Fallout 76 Atoms with real money if you’re impatient. They come in a range of bundles, with extra bonus Atoms the more you spend. Here’s the pricing we have so far (which is currently only confirmed in Euros):
- 500 Atoms €4.99 (approx £4.40/$5.70)
- 1000 + 100 bonus Atoms €9.99 (approx £8.84/$11.90)
- 2000 + 400 Bonus Atoms €19.99 (approx £17.68/$21.81 )
- 4000 + 1000 bonus Atoms €39.99 (approx £35.37 /$45.63)
What can you buy in the Atomic Shop in Fallout 76?
The Fallout 76 beta has given us a look at the Atomic Shjop where you can blow your hard earned ATOMs on a range of things. It's all cosmetic stuff so all you can buy are things that change the appearance of your character, as well as items in your camp, and things to use in photo mode. These are the different categories of what you can buy:
- Apparel - clothes, outfits and hats for your character to wear.
- Skins - skins to change your weapons, Pip- Boy and other gear.
- C.A.M.P. - decorative items for your camp including things like plants and floor tiles, as well as decorative skins such as 'clean' versions of wasteland machines, or a Nuka-Cola skin for your stash box.
- Styles - decorative things like tattoos and other appearance changing options for you character.
- Photomode - poses, frames and other things to change the pictures you take.
- Emotes - different emotes you can use to communicate with other players.
- Icons - Fallout themed icons.
While the Fallout 76 beta only had a few sample items on display, the contents of the Fallout 76 Tricentennial Edition show the sort of customisation available in the final game.
Fallout 76 power armor | Fallout 76 patch notes | Fallout 76 vending machines | Fallout 76 mutations | Fallout 76 mothman | Fallout 76 tips | Fallout 76 CAMP tips | Can you play Fallout 76 single player | Fallout 76 perk cards | How to build the best Fallout 76 CAMP | Fallout 76 map | How to get Two Shot Explosive guns in Fallout 76