The Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War beta is nearly here, and you can start pre-loading the game right now if you're playing on PS4.
PS4 players already got to try out an early version of Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War in the alpha which ran last month. A lead developer has teased that the beta is "quite an upgrade" over the alpha, so you'll want to give it a try even if you already played your fill. But when can you start pre-loading if you're not on PS4, and when do the Black Ops Cold War beta weekends begin? Let's get right to it.
Black Ops Cold War beta pre-load
- Black Ops Cold War beta pre-load on PS4: Open now
- Black Ops Cold War beta pre-load on PC and Xbox: Starting on October 13 at 8am PDT / 11am EDT / 4pm BST
Black Ops Cold War beta dates
Black Ops Cold War beta weekend 1: PS4-exclusive
- October 8: Early access for PS4 pre-orders begins
- October 10: Open beta access for PS4 players begins
- October 12: Black Ops Cold War beta weekend 1 ends
Black Ops Cold War beta weekend 2: Crossplay begins
- October 15: PS4 open beta resumes, early access for Xbox and PC pre-orders begins
- October 17: Open beta access for all players on all platforms
- October 19: Black Ops Cold War beta weekend 2 ends
Black Ops Cold War beta launch weapon unlock
Your time spent in the Black Ops Cold War beta will pay off once the game launches. Every player who reaches level 10 during the beta will also receive an SMG Weapon Blueprint for "Mutual Animosity" in the full game. Activision isn't giving the specifics for how the weapon works, but it looks like a kitted out SMG with a scope, suppressor, and a lovely tan-and-orange color scheme.
Black Ops Cold War beta maps and modes
You'll be able to try out a wide sampling of Black Ops Cold War's content while you play the beta. That includes a selection of standard 6v6 modes, the 12v12 Combined Arms mode, and the all-new Fireteam: Dirty Bomb mode for 40 players. Activision isn't saying which specific maps will be featured yet, but the Black Ops Cold War beta trailer showed off Miami, Moscow, Satellite, Armada, and Crossroads.
It looks like we won't be slaying any undead in the beat, but Black Ops Cold War Zombies mode will contribute to your battle pass progress in the full game.