Monday 18 December 2006
Edge - the absolutely brilliant and really rather nicely designed games magazine for industry types and proper grown-up gamers - has announced the winners of its 2006 awards.
Final Fantasy XII received the prestigious Best Game award, while Nintendo was showered with love, scooping prizes for Best Developer, Best Innovation (Wii) and Best Hardware (DS).
As if an award wasn't enough, Edge editor Margaret Robertson heaped further praise upon Square Enix's RPG masterpiece: "Final Fantasy XII has astonished everyone who's played it, with its beauty, its technical excellence and - most surprisingly for such an old game series - its innovative approach."
The complete list of worthy Edge Award winners is:
• Best Game - Final Fantasy XII
• Best Innovation - Nintendo Wii
• Best Visual Design - Okami
• Best Audio Design - Dragon Quest: The Journey of the Cursed King
• Best Developer - Nintendo
• Best Publisher - Take Two
• Best Online Experience - Test Drive Unlimited
• Best Hardware - Nintendo DS
Above: Wii selling out, DS stomping PSP and three Edge Awards in the bag - 2006 has been a good year for Nintendo
For the full, glorious Edge Awards experience, be sure to pick up the January issue, which goes on sale this Thursday. It also includes a free 2007 Nintendo year planner, so everyone's a winner!