Topics

Wii U

• lonegrunt81 - September 13, 2012 7:40 a.m.

At $350 I'll be waiting for the REAL next gen consoles or a price drop. To those thinking of the 8gb version should remember how long the low end 360 and PS3 launch consoles stuck around before they became out dated, simply not worth it.
  • Moondoggie1157 - September 13, 2012 7:55 a.m.

Not trying to start an argument here, because I mostly agree with you. But, wasn't the PS3 originally launched with 60 or 80 gigs? I had my original until just a year a ago when I moved. But yea, anyway... At $350, I think I'll just wait until Sony or Microsoft deliver something REALLY interesting, the WiiU already seems tacky to me, call me a cynic.
  • BladedFalcon - September 13, 2012 8:06 a.m.

I think it started with 60 gigs, but take into account... this was 6 years ago, when digital downloads weren't still a thing, and when memory size had not yet expanded the way it has now. 60 GB back then was a LOT specially compared with the 360, which had a 20 GB HDD on their PREMIUM version. This is 6 years later, when digital downloads of full retail games have become a thing, and they weight several gigs to download. The fact that the wii u's premium version comes with a HDD that's almost half the size of what a console offered 6 years ago? it's kinda ridiculous, and to me, it sends really bad signs about Nintendo's still small understanding of the importance of the Internet and the digital market.
  • Thedigitalg - September 13, 2012 10:16 a.m.

What do you people do, download a game and leave it there? I don't know about anyone else, but I always delete a game after I've finished it, even if I have 40gb+ of space. It's really not a hardship to delete and redownload later if you want to replay it. I'd rather that than spending an extra £50 for more memory I'll never use.
  • BladedFalcon - September 13, 2012 10:41 a.m.

Not everyone has the luck to be in a place that offers ultra-high speed connection, so when a 5+GB game takes over half a day (if not more, in other people's cases)to download... Yeah, expecting you to delete the game and re-download it again can be an annoying pain in the ass. Not to mention, that's space that could also be occupied to store other media, such as music or videos. The thing is.. it's not like the packs are offering you 32 Gigs on one side, and say, at least 128 on the other. If they offered it like that, then i could understand your point of view, and it's nice that they could let you choose not to pay extra money for space you don't want. The issue comes with the fact that first: Neither version of the console is exactly "cheap" to begin with, and both memory capacity for both is rather pitiful.
  • Thedigitalg - September 13, 2012 11:19 a.m.

There are places in the civilised world without fast broadband? Wut? That's a new one on me. I live in the most backwards area of England, and my Broadband takes less then 40 minutes on 'big' games, and less then five minutes for indie games or dlc.
  • BladedFalcon - September 13, 2012 11:37 a.m.

...This kinda shows how conceited you are then. The most backwards area on England still has it better than any third world country... which, y'know, there's a lot of them. I live in Mexico, and again, my connection takes half a day to download a full game, and I've heard of even places within the states that take EVEN longer. So you happen to have a good i-net connection, that's pretty sweet, and you're lucky, and you are entitled to want an option that benefits you, but do not make the mistake of thinking that most are in the same conditions as you are.
  • Thedigitalg - September 13, 2012 11:42 a.m.

Oh dude you totally misused conceited there. Conceited means proud/vain. But, there'll probably be an option to buy more memory anyway. How is England better than anything, at anything, ever? That is seriously shocking. It's not like Mexico is a third-world country, is it? I didn't realise it was that bad.
  • vent - September 13, 2012 7:35 a.m.

Isn't the amount of internal memory kind of pointless if you can just put in an sd card and expand it however much you want?
  • BladedFalcon - September 13, 2012 7:32 a.m.

...Wow, really? they are going to 360 route? also, 350... for only 32 gigs? Yeeeeeeah, if I was already skeptical about the Wii U, this pricing does absolutely nothing for me. And seriously, think about it... 8 gigs and 32 gigs? in this digital content era, where most full games are like at least 5 GB of space, that is a really deficient storage space.
  • thekill141 - September 13, 2012 8:31 a.m.

I could not agree with you more, over all the Wii U looks a ok console. Sure it's got nothing on the next gen console (when ever they come out) but the memory is just laughable. 8GB and 32GB REALLY!?
  • gingerlemon - September 13, 2012 8:42 a.m.

What are these downloadable games that are 5gigs big?
  • veryweirdguy - September 13, 2012 8:49 a.m.

I Just Cause 2 the other week on my PS3 for 8gb. I think Darksiders was 11gb.
  • veryweirdguy - September 13, 2012 8:50 a.m.

* I downloaded Just Cause 2, I mean. Silly me.
  • BladedFalcon - September 13, 2012 9:02 a.m.

Mass Effect 3 was at least 6 GB big, if not more.
  • gingerlemon - September 14, 2012 2:09 a.m.

I doubt you're going to see full games for download, but rather WiiWare style titles and Virtual Console titles.
  • ObliqueZombie - September 13, 2012 7:28 a.m.

I'm very excited for this, but not thrilled about the memory.
  • KnowYourPokemon - September 13, 2012 7:17 a.m.

Just waiting for places to start taking pre-orders....