• ChaseByKO - February 7, 2012 12:23 a.m.

I'm going to echo the previous statements. What happens if a person wants to play an older game that can only be found used? And if this does come to pass, the developer better quit gouging consumers with nickel-and-dime DLC. In regards to price alone, if you live in the U.S. and you're buying new games at 60 dollars, you're doing it wrong. Just about every new game is down to 40 within a week or two. (Shout-out to CheapAssGamer and CheapyD.) I dunno. I'm a grown-ass man with a good job, and price isn't the issue. It's that they're taking away a console's ability just to increase their profits. That's garbage. I'll give my money to a company whose platform is still "open." (I'm looking at you Sony.) Fortunately, while I hate the DualShock, there are options to use a better controller.
  • TR4rulez - February 6, 2012 10:37 p.m.

Thinking like this is what holds advancment back. you have to devise a program that benefits both consumer and provider, and only then will things truly move in the direction that pleases all.
  • ChaseByKO - February 7, 2012 12:24 a.m.

Thinking like this is what will probably lead to the next video game crash.
  • Sinosaur - February 6, 2012 9:12 p.m.

So... when every printed copy of a game is off the shelves and it's three years after release (or something like that), and it's not worth it for a company to make more copies of their game... then what? I know I have played some older games after picking up used copies when I couldn't find new ones that easily. Honestly, that's pretty much the only reason I buy used, that or I see something that might be interesting while browsing used game shelves. Now, if we move toward more digital distribution, then that potentially solves the 'hey, we sold all the copies of the game, but we're done with it so nobody new can play it' problem, since there are an unlimited number of copies, but consoles are clearly scared of going that route.
  • BloodTsunami - February 6, 2012 8:25 p.m.

Part of me wants to see the no used gameplay idea installed. Just so dumbfucks like this can watch his sales plummet; 1. On principal 2. Almost no dlc sales because no one bought their mediocre game for $60 anyway. Not to mention, if you have to buy it new for the 'special code', most gamers will just wait a year or so until it's $20 or so. The only market these dildos are gonna leave themselves are parents buying presents for their kids who don't worry about the cost once or twice a year. Adult gamers (who make up most of the market) will just abandon these companies at full price in droves. Oh and “We put [games] on the shelves for only $60” Fuck you! I paid $10 on Ebay for Red Faction: Armageddon, and I'm glad I didn't pay a penny more. If you think people are gonna line up around the block to pay $60 for your latest generic turd, then I can at least take satisfaction that you'll fired shortly after that day comes.
  • Travia220 - February 6, 2012 8:44 p.m.

PC Gaming has been like this for years. Yet PC Gaming is still huge and sales aren't "Dropping" but are growing. You'd utterly ridiculous to think that their sales would plummet. I find it hilarious people believe this would harm developers... it would do the exact opposite.
  • CoryRX8 - February 6, 2012 9:01 p.m.

PC gaming is growing because it found a bottom before Steam came out. Right now, how many PC game sales are at the full $60 asking price? Based on Steam's ASP, not very many. The fact is, whether there are used game sales or not, this guy is delusional if he thinks that he's going to be able to force everyone to pay the full $60 to play his games. The current state of PC gaming really supports BloodTsunami's point.
  • ChaseByKO - February 7, 2012 12:25 a.m.

What Cory said. PC gaming sank to the bottom for a reason.
  • c-c-c-combo breaker - February 7, 2012 1:46 a.m.

I agree. Fuck the retail price! Even if I decide to spaz out once a year, and purchase a brand new steaming piece of crap for its full price, I can always sell it back to the shop and get some of my money back. With this kind of idea circulating, people wont be bothered to spend money on full price games that they haven't already played.
  • QuickSticks45 - February 6, 2012 7:49 p.m.

See the thing is, the only reason why I like the used game market is that it allows me to buy games that are old and aren't wanted anymore, like Dark Sector or some other crap game, but when you're talking about the newest games like the next cookie cutter COD they shove into our faces would it really be worth it to buy a used copy of that for five dollars off? obviously not and that's all that the used games are actually saving you, but then Gamestop takes that money and makes almost the whole price for that. Think about it Gamestop just made almost the whole price of a top of the line game and did nothing but put it on the shelve and dish out 20 buck to the sad sap that took it in, it's gone and taken almost all of the money that the publisher would have made instead that would keep more people employed and working to make the great games that we all love. I'm just thankful that we buy these games for $60 at least it's a nice stable price that isn't all too much for what you will get out of it, It's better than the fucked up prices that were around previously with some games being over a hundred dollars just for that game alone
  • c-c-c-combo breaker - February 7, 2012 1:38 a.m.

Jesus christ, a grammatical shitfest. Reserve your big blocks of text for an essay or some shit.
  • MetaMoss - February 6, 2012 7:49 p.m.

What I think about this whole issue of used games: The developers/publishers already got their damn money out of that used copy. Sure the person who bought that used game didn't pay you directly, but seriously not being able to complete your fleet of yachts isn't something to go all toddler-fit on. If the Xbox 720 does indeed put this lockout system, it will kill Microsoft's share in the video game market. If they do implement this, please Nintendo and Sony don't follow their example, for it is a path to ruin. Then again, I could finally end my stupid arguments with the Xbox nuts, all I need is a little "Well at least my console can play used/rented/borrowed from a friend games!"
  • ScrEAMaPiLLar - February 6, 2012 11:40 p.m.

You do realize that most dev teams are not paid that well. Usually a project get's close to finish and a bunch of people get let go. That is the way it is in the Entertainment industry. The only people who get lots of money from it all are people who are veterans of the company, but even then they too can get let go. You are also forgetting what Steam has done for used games in a different way. It may be restricted to only the steam platform, but they implemented a trading system between all games and items which use Steam. In a way, it is a way of making used sales, except the customers benefit entirely. Steam does not get a cut at the profits of people trading items and games, but they do get the profit from the awesome sales. The devs also profit hugely from these sales on their games and indie games get a lot of exposure from the sales. If MS, GS, Sony, Nintendo, EA, and Amazon did something similar we could see a new way of getting a used game. 5 tf2 hats or items for a game. Sounds like a great trade to me.
  • DLH570 - February 6, 2012 7:38 p.m.

I usually buy games new, when they're worth it. I listen to friends, pro reviewers, and watch gameplay videos to decide. If it's a good game, like Batman: Arkham City, I won't regret paying full price. But when your game sucks and everyone knows it's gonna end up in the used games bargain bin a year after release, don't expect a huge profit. Make something worth sixty bucks, and you'll get it. Perfect example, the director of Red Faction: Armageddon is whining because nobody bought his crappy game.
  • BloodTsunami - February 6, 2012 8:25 p.m.

Exactly. Exactly.
  • fanfundy - February 6, 2012 7:28 p.m.

No rentals either I'm guessing? Wow. This happens and the gaming industry will certainly collapse.
  • therawski - February 6, 2012 7:25 p.m.

Not gonna change much when THQ goes down anyway, they made a Red Faction game that no one wanted and now they're scared because their last property can't sell crappy DLC. I always buy new when I can, but some stuff I can't find new, so I'm reluctant but still buy used occasionally. The lockout hurts players who might buy a title used and it's sequel on launch day.
  • Hidab - February 6, 2012 9:46 p.m.

Exactly. As an example, I'm considering buying the Silent Hill game for the Wii so that if I like it I may buy the upcoming Silent Hill collection. Now, the local places don't sell it new, I've only found it used. I like playing related games next to each other.
  • Shazamin - February 6, 2012 6:57 p.m.

U mad bro =D
  • darkraichu34 - February 6, 2012 6:56 p.m.

As a collector, who still purchases and plays Gamecube and NES games, this concerns me. What about years after the game comes out?