• ThisIsMyFuckingThirdAccount - February 7, 2012 12:03 p.m.

My console already refuses to play used games and I don't mind at all. Also, it's a PC.
  • Sjoeki - February 7, 2012 11:30 a.m.

I get his point, though I don't agree but his arguments are just plain stupid. If you sold something you can't start crying if the buyer is using it wrong... it is no longer your property. Also, how would this work if your console isn't hooked up to the internet?
  • FlyinHawaiian13 - February 7, 2012 10:39 a.m.

Why not do this for movies? Or music? Hell why don't you make my eyes pop out if I look at a used book? This is bull of the highest order.
  • 360cookie - February 7, 2012 9:50 a.m.

He says “Even though the consumers would be up in arms about it at first,” and of course we would be. We would be upset to the point where I would wager that most consumers wouldn't buy the console and it wouldn't have a long enough life span to be able to turn us around to his ridiculous idea. If MS did this for their new console that would be one brilliant way of sending the masses over to their rivals and I for one would be part of that crowd. Fuck MS is they do it.
  • jason-dhalle - February 7, 2012 9:26 a.m.

Yes and while we are at it let's shut down used book, records, CDs and movie sales. We could also do the same thing with used cars and used appliances and anything you ever but at someones garage sale. If you buy anything used you MUST pay the original manufacturer of the product an extra nominal fee in order to actually use it. I for one would be excited to buy a used DVD off of Amazon only to come home and have to pay $5 to the movie studio to actually watch it. Same thing with music CDs. I long for the day of buying a used CD and bringing it home only to find out I have to pay $5 extra to the music studio so it actually plays on my CD player. I would love to buy a used car and have to pay the original manufacturer a $500 fee just to get a key for it so I could drive it. Awesome ideas and I can't wait for the future! (much sarcasm intended).
  • ThisIsMyFuckingThirdAccount - February 7, 2012 12:06 p.m.

Well maybe if you listened to better music and watched better movies, you wouldn't mind encouraging the artists to continue doing what they're doing.
  • needles - February 7, 2012 1:55 p.m.

Not everyone is as enlightened as you, bro. Some of us borderline retards havent found out about country music and Fox News yet. Praise Jebus.
  • ThisIsMyFuckingThirdAccount - February 7, 2012 3 p.m.

Yeah, I definitely highlight country music on mediamongrel.net.
  • Fandango D' - February 7, 2012 8:47 a.m.

I don't know if he understands the benefits for the industry the second-hand market brings. These figures are obviously oversimplified, but for the sake of argument: Person A buys the game at $60, sells to a store for resale for $20, and the store then sells to Person B for $40. This means Person A can buy his next $60 game that bit sooner, while Person B - who was never going to pay $60 for the game - gets to benefit from it, possibly buy DLC etc. Without this process the store, as someone said previously, makes parctically nothing, so can't afford to discount prices. Besides, without the competition of second-hand prices there's less reason to lower prices in the short-to-medium term. Person B never buys the game because by the time it's affordable there are a dozen newer, better games out, the developer makes nothing extra anyway, and the store's reduced income means future games have to be sold at marked-up prices. You can probably see where it ultimately heads.
  • Darkhawk - February 7, 2012 8:05 a.m.

If gaming didn't have the highest profit margin of any entertainment industry, this wouldn't be so offensive. There's simply no excuse for charging $60+ for your product, when movies, music, books, comics, and anything else sell for much less with similar operating budgets. Even when the multi-million-dollar CoD games operate at Hollywood budgets, it's still too much
  • ThisIsMyFuckingThirdAccount - February 7, 2012 12:19 p.m.

Games absolutely do not have the highest profit margin. There's a difference between price and profit. Do you really think writing a book or making music requires hundreds of full time staff, multiple studios handling different aspects, years of development, beta readers and listeners, and massive servers funneling massive bandwidth for multireader and multilistener?
  • agntbubblez74 - February 7, 2012 8:01 a.m.

and just to think...what happened when the xbox 360 and ps3 came out?? that full retail price of "$49.99" went up to the "59.99" price...so guess what?? when the next gen consoles come out you're "for only $60" is going to be come probably "$70"...go die
  • luttman23 - February 7, 2012 7:43 a.m.

Fuk you Microsoft and fuk you Jameson Durall
  • radiodeaf - February 7, 2012 7:07 a.m.

had to add a few more things... honestly this guy is a loon. when did the a gaming property sold to a consumer become a rented item? Has the "gaming industry" really taken such huge hits? I feel like we are told one thing but forget that just a few years ago, there was nothing of a "gaming industry" Here we are, with growing numbers of purchases/profits, and all seems to be missed as we discuss how selling used games, is killing them... yeah. I'm sure your wallets are really hurting.
  • radiodeaf - February 7, 2012 6:59 a.m.

HI! I'm a gaming company... and I don't like you selling those things you own. If we had our way, books would come with disappearing ink. As long as you hold the eye glass that comes with that specific book. You can read it. Otherwise. GO FUCK YOURSELF. You have a new car? Brilliant! We've worked with plenty of auto makers to find away to destroy the resale market. You see, someone reselling a used car hurts the auto industry. Adding a butt plug that only fits the ass of the owner, will make sure that other potential car owners will only buy new..or find themselves in a painful situation of getting their sphincter to change shape. Satisfaction, us.
  • mothbanquet - February 7, 2012 6:43 a.m.

How arrogant can you get? Simply by beginning the statement with the words 'what people don't realise', Durall reveals that he thinks nobody is aware of the implications of buying used. Yes, Mr Durall, we do know that you make no money from those used games (though technically you surely would have done to begin with for them to become used in the first place) but the REAL issue is that not everyone has the money to spend on unknown quantities. I doubt that Red Faction: Armageddon would have made any more money if it wasn't for pre-owned games, that's for sure. Perhaps instead of whining about us lowly consumers taking a tiny profit margin away from you, you should be concentrating on making games that people actually want to buy!
  • thatMguy - February 7, 2012 6:22 a.m.

where i'm from (small australian city-town)new games are easily $90+. not only do i not particularly have that kind of money, but there's no way that any current-gen game (i'd even be hard-pressed to find any game ever)i've ever played thus far is worth that much. if i can't continue to buy games 2nd hand, i'm not getting into the next gen. i'm plenty satisfied with what's been on the market the last 20+ years. or i'll start pirating it.
  • Xtra_Tasty - February 7, 2012 6:06 a.m.

the majority of my games that i buy are used. for a few reasons, i dont have 65 bucks to throw out every time a cool game comes around. most of the games are not i repeat NOT worth the 60 bucks in the first place, skyrim being one obvious exception. any game i can beat in less than 10 hours i will not spend 60 bucks on. to lock out used games cause your not seeing the profit is fucking dumb in my opinion. 1 because u already made ur money selling it new. 2 because the used games store used their money to buy it used n resell it. why should the company profit on multiple sellings of the same game.. money hungry corporations. go ahead n release ur stupid future gen consoles that wont play my games an see if ill buy it. cause guess what. i wont. i can also see the amount of bootlegery goin up just to piss em off.
  • lordgodalming - February 7, 2012 5:59 a.m.

That's pretty short-sighted. In an industry that's so heavily based on sequels, some players will pick up and enjoy an early game in a series on the cheap, then buy sequel at full retail. I personally bought the original Uncharted and Mass Effect used, but then bought the sequels new. I probably wouldn't have done if I hadn't played those first two used. Also, "for only $60" is one of the stupidest phrases I've seen in a long time, especially when many other devs are calling for lower retail prices of their own games.
  • MeanwhileGuy - February 7, 2012 4:59 a.m.

I think James Durall may have just outed himself as a massive idiot and condescending f*ckwit. I'm sure this has been said before but putting games on shelves "for only $60" (or the £40 - or even £42.99 or £44.99 in some cases - for us Brits) is way too damn expensive, especially if your game isn't all that long. People simply can't afford to rush out and buy every game new, even if they're discounted eventually. I buy used games mostly on the spur of the moment because they're often dirt cheap (I remember seeing Mirror's Edge a few months after it came out for £10, naturally I got it.) I haven't bought a new game for full price since November, when I got Skyrim (still only £37.99, but hey.). People will still buy the consoles even if they have the lock on, because it's a new console, but if he think it's going to make people buy new, well, he's technically right, but he should be prepared for the sales pattern to change dramatically. Few people will buy on launch day, and I think most would wait a few weeks while the publisher and vendors panic and slash the prices down a bit. And as many people have already mentioned, what about buying old games that have been out a few years? TL;DR - he's an idiot, people can't afford full priced games, where do we get older games from?