• MightyWumbo - March 6, 2012 9:09 a.m.

i have a feeling that activision is already making them!!
  • Jacko415 - March 6, 2012 5:32 p.m.

Yeah bullshit. They're busy making more expensive Cod 4 expansion packs.
  • Schucknasty - March 6, 2012 8:29 a.m.

The Great Game would make an unbelievable setting for an open world action game. With all of the espionage and counter-espionage during the Tournament of Shadows period I could definitely see something like a cross between Ass Creed and (hopefully a better) Saboteur, but set in various locales throughout Central Asia. Speaking of the Great Game, why hasn't anybody ever made a game out of The Man Who Would be King? Great movie that captured the spirit of mercenary adventurism in Victorian era Central Asia. Thank you Mr. Kipling.
  • el.waxa - March 6, 2012 8:10 a.m.

You've grabbed some lovely art aswell here, Mikel.
  • jmcgrotty - March 6, 2012 8:03 a.m.

In the most general and technical of terms, almost all of these have been covered, even if not in full-fledged games devoted to just that theater. Between Civ 1-5 and all the scenarios you can play for it, and things like nobunaga's ambition and Defender Of The Crown (on an admittedly much, much lesser level), most of these can be experienced. I am inpressed more with the idea of The Great Game, as while I knew of it, I am not overly familiar with it. So, at least in the way you wrote about it, it made it quite engaging of an idea. Overall, though, pretty cool list. No complaints from me (not that it matters if there were)
  • kyle94 - March 6, 2012 8:25 p.m.

You can kind of get involved in the Great Game in the horribly complicated (yet addictive) Victoria 2, by Paradox Interactive. While the AI can be rather silly at times, you can add nations to your Sphere of Influence when you're a great power. And if I remember correctly, someone messing around with a nation in your SoI too much will give you the ability to declare war on them. However, like I said, the AI isn't very good and the game holds the entire world. In a lot of my games, Russia goes crazy and starts invading Persia and Afghanistan, but Britain never cares (unless you're playing as it.)
  • BigDannyH - March 6, 2012 7:22 a.m.

Great article, although making a game based on the Spanish Civil War is asking for trouble. It seems like a long time ago but Spain still remembers. Spain has a very interesting and split political climate and I'm not sure many developers are capable of telling a suitably mature and fully researched story. Especially in a war game (i.e. a shooter). Setting a game in the era without it being a shooter would be interesting, like Pan's Labrynth.
  • Japanaman - March 6, 2012 6:29 a.m.

Who's going to buy a game that is pre-WWII unless it's tactical? Can you imagine a Revoultionary War game? Shoot, reload for 5 minutes... Shoot, reload for 5 more mintes... Get stabbed while doing it.
  • EnragedTortoise1 - March 6, 2012 7:35 a.m.

I take it you haven't played Mount and Musket?
  • ParagonT - March 6, 2012 11:47 a.m.

Flintlocks, repeaters, automatics.... need I say more?
  • Fenderstat - March 6, 2012 12:46 p.m.

Ssshhh quiet, he's not a PC Gamer, he doesn't know what that is.
  • majorsuave - March 6, 2012 4:58 a.m.

Where is the "War of 1812". The USA vs the British Empire. I leave you Google it for details but I'll give you a cookie: If you play as the British Empire you get to burn down the White House. You also get to take the 1st American frigate to sea.
  • ElDudeorino - March 6, 2012 6 a.m.

If you play as the USA you get to burn down the capital of Upper Canada, York.
  • majorsuave - March 7, 2012 3:56 a.m.

Exactly. I did not mention the Native tribes, the canoes, the fort sieges, the river ambushes, the sea battles.... So many possibilities, I see RPG, RTS, cover based shooter, stealth even MMO!!
  • KidKatana - March 6, 2012 4:52 a.m.

Really interesting article, and spot on - games are too hamstrung by the same historical and indeed geographical locations. I would absolutely love a British Raj-era game set in India - I think it would have been a great setting for AC because of all the awesome buildings you could climb. Alternatively (but in the same era & location), a pirate-themed open world adventure in the vein of Emilio Salgari's Sandokan/Tiger of Malaysia books would be AMAZING. Can someone make that now please?
  • CitizenWolfie - March 6, 2012 4:05 a.m.

While it still almost sort of comes under "Cold War" territory, I'd like to see a game where you follow Che Guevara in both his Cuban and Bolivian campaigns. The Benicio Del Toro films were great and I don't see why it wouldn't make a great game. Similarly on current events (so it won't happen just yet as it's too soon), the uprisings in Africa and the Middle East would be interesting to play as from the revolt's perspective. I know games have been very Middle-East obsessed lately but this would at least be a bit different from being the US or UK all the time.
  • jmcgrotty - March 6, 2012 8:19 a.m.

The problem is that, if they were overly accurate about the whole Che Guevara thing, it would hurt the feelings of all the hipsters with the shirts who don't know what the man was really about. As you pointed out, the movies focus more on the real him, and it's a real eye-opener to read "The African Dream," but it just isn't what people would expect. Usually, this is not a bad thing, but with a brand like Che Guevara (and face it, like it or not, that is all he is anymore), that would be damaging. You'd have college freshman across the world drowning themselves in bong water in attempted suicides. I mean, the guy himself referred to himself at times as an "unmitigated disaster." And not in a cute, self-depreciating way and in the end, the same people he was trying to "help," the Congolese, thought of him as just another racist white guy (I'm not saying he was a "white guy." He was viewed as one by the Congolese rebel leaders). Gotta respect his last words, though, before being executed. "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, you're only going to kill a man." Yeah, yeah. There is debate to this being the real accurate words, but I believe them to be. All in all, a lot of baggage with his story being made in a game. And it would be very difficult to separate the man from the war and the myth from the man.
  • CitizenWolfie - March 6, 2012 10:37 a.m.

I agree (especially about the hipster thing). As with any historical figure it'd be hard to portray the man without upsetting somebody. I think if a game was to be made of one of those campaigns I'd be happy enough playing as a fictional rebel in his group as opposed to the man himself. It could have elements of jungle survival (like MGS3 for example) and big firefights in the vein of Battlefield. Guevara could be an NPC, the leader of your squad. The makers could always work from his war diaries and it would at least be an accurate compromise.
  • reaperman22 - March 6, 2012 3:46 a.m.

I studied the French revolution last year and i am really hoping assassins creed moves there next, and it was a war pretty much from the start, the whole idea of the terror was to get rid of 'counter revolutionaries' in France, in other words to scare the shit out of the previously losing soldiers and diverting the blame of losses to 'monarchists' and it worked, before the Jacobin club gained control soldiers were regularly performing mutinies and in one case they decided to take a vote against an order. The country pretty much breaks out into civil war in the Vendee region where so many mass drownings occurred that boats would often get there anchors caught on bodies and the river wasn't safe to swim in for a fair while
  • jmcgrotty - March 6, 2012 8:27 a.m.

On a pure technicality, and how the games have progressed so far, I wouldn't count on it happening. It just is too soon to the American Revolution for them to do it in their storyline. Don't get me wrong, they could if they wanted to, and you make a compelling case, but it's a longshot. They do say Napoleon used an Apple Of Eden to conquor Eastern Europe, but even that was 13 years after the end of the French Revolution.
  • Hobogonigal - March 6, 2012 12:27 a.m.

In reference to the WW1 (anywhere except France), this was one reason I enjoyed Medal of Honor: European Assault. I know it was set in WW2 but quite a lot of it took place in Africa and Russia which was a nice change. I agree completely with the rest of the article and think that developers need to use more than just basic overused settings for videogames. This is one of the main reason I love the Assassin's creed franchise.