Topics

Top 7

• garnsr - April 29, 2013 1:02 p.m.

I always liked lasers in shooters (shmups as the kids call them) that would move around the screen as you moved your ship. I don't think the laser in Gradius does that, but I always liked using the laser in that. It seems like at least one of the Ratchet & Clank games would have had a great laser.
  • StrayGator - April 29, 2013 12:25 p.m.

1 vid = 1,000 pics = 1,000,000 words (not a scientific fact) makes understanding what you are talking about so much easier (especially in games the reader didn't play). in this (and hopefully many other) case, a great addition. I wonder if it would work as well in lists more inclined towards tropes / ludicrousness / meta.
  • StrayGator - April 29, 2013 12:29 p.m.

oh, and just to nitpick: plasma guns can be called "laser" only if by that word you mean "shoots a thing that's not a bullet". particle/railguns are even farther than that. and yes, hammer of dawn, Q3 railgun and so forth.
  • StrayGator - April 29, 2013 1:16 p.m.

Went on to read something about FC3 Blood Dragon, and suddenly i suspect that it somehow inspired this weeks list.
  • Sinosaur - April 29, 2013 12:08 p.m.

I love the Particle Rifle in ME3. It's an obvious successor to the Collector Particle Beam, only now it's a regular weapon. It doesn't use ammo (awesome) but if you use it too hard it overheats and you can't fire for awhile (boo), but when you slap the ammo boosting mods on it and aim it at a target... things melt. And being in multiplayer and watching the fully charged beam melt a Boss monster is amazing.
  • Bloodstorm - April 29, 2013 11:54 a.m.

No Hammer of Dawn? It's a seemingly harmless laser pointer that calls down a giant laser FROM SPACE!
  • Satchurated - April 29, 2013 1:51 p.m.

I agree. The hammer should be on the list for sure.
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 29, 2013 2:16 p.m.

The Hammer of Dawn isn't shooting a laser. It's a laser pointer that calls a strike from space--it'd be like saying "Best rocket launcher" and saying "That game where you call in an air strike from a walkie-talkie."
  • winner2 - April 29, 2013 11:53 a.m.

The spartan laser is the best "fuck-you weapon"
  • Unoriginal - April 29, 2013 11:51 a.m.

I remember a video top 7 with Brett Elston and Charlie Barrat since way back when. Can't recall the topic but this was definately less awkward than that one.
  • J-Fid - April 29, 2013 2:54 p.m.

I remember that too! I actually enjoyed it, and then they never did it again.
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 29, 2013 4:11 p.m.

You're awkward.
  • StrayGator - April 29, 2013 4:19 p.m.

You know this unstoppable force / immovable object cliché? well, progress? meet nostalgia.
  • Unoriginal - April 30, 2013 5:21 a.m.

Maybe I frased the comment above badly. What I meant was that this new video style is an definite improvement over the old one. Sorry if that sounded like slander. Damn my foreign roots.
  • PlainLikeVanilla - April 29, 2013 11:42 a.m.

First episode of the top 7 show was good. Keep up the great video content.
  • tomasspipass - April 29, 2013 11:29 a.m.

The shock rifle from UT. Two modes of fire, one an instant laser beam, the second a slow moving orb of light. However if you then shoot the orb of light with the instant laser beam fire it creates a huge explosion. A very fun, tacticle weapon especially as you can hit other peoples orbs that they fire. Also, the railgun from quake, looks laser-y, but is it a laser gun? not sure, looks like it though and kicks insta-gibbed ass