Topics

Top 7

• JADENkOTOR - February 3, 2011 11:47 p.m.

Braid makes you feel smart because it makes you think the puzzle you just solved was hard when it was actually quite easy. Its a nice feeling but not really challenging. Darksiders had some of the hardest puzzles EVER, and should be towards the top of the list
  • SCRubS77 - February 3, 2011 8:57 p.m.

I thoroughly enjoy every game on the list, but Charlie, you nailed the exact reason I don`t play Pokemon. That is intimidating as hell. I barely have the time to play through the games I want, let alone devote that much time and brain-power to one game. Anyway, good work!
  • Spybreak8 - February 3, 2011 6:10 a.m.

Well gotta respect RTS titles, strategy, tactics and counters all in real time. Starcraft II or Company of Heroes anyone?!
  • Imthedoctor - February 3, 2011 1:38 a.m.

God of war's puzzles pissed me off. like..it would take me a week at a time to figure them out they were that subtle
  • waffman11 - February 2, 2011 11:32 p.m.

...Where's my DS and my calculator, I have the sudden urge to play Pokemon/
  • Im2awesome - February 2, 2011 7:14 p.m.

Pokemon. Hell yes. I cant even begin to tell you how many times i've spent over a notebook building a team for hours, then getting onto the game and spending way more hours DOING it.
  • Gurkogg - February 2, 2011 12:33 p.m.

I thought Planescape: Torment would make it on this list. It was definitely 10x more thought provoking than victorian literature. The concepts of reality being defined by our own perceptions and whatnot were awesome. Plus it expanded my vocabulary with all the big words I had to look up in the dictionary!
  • Logan2911 - February 2, 2011 6:26 a.m.

What about Zelda & Darksiders those are the two games that made me fell like a genies
  • Tochy - February 1, 2011 11:59 p.m.

@ Darkhawk correct
  • Darkhawk - February 1, 2011 11:35 p.m.

Way to pick two of the most pretentious games ever in your list of "genius" games. As wonderful as Braid's puzzles were, and as fun as BioShock's gunplay could be, both those games are extraordinarily guilty of the "we must be so smart because we sound like it" phenomenon. Braid's obtuse story was self-indulgent and meaningless. And the fact that a game in which you can shoot bees out of your hand also includes references to Ayn Rand does not make it intelligent. Just because God of War has Greek gods in it, you wouldn't call it a history lesson, would you?
  • NightCrawler_358 - February 1, 2011 11:15 p.m.

These games make me feel like a total idiot most of the time. Especially if I'm ever broken down to reading a guide to geet through it. But when i beat Portal all by myself, I was so full of myself, struttin around.
  • seanhayden - February 1, 2011 11:13 p.m.

no phoenix wright?
  • Nap1400 - February 1, 2011 8:54 p.m.

Does anyone even use that formula for Pokemon? I'll just keep covering the mic and mashing A, thank you very much.
  • Japanaman - February 1, 2011 7:40 p.m.

The NES Sesame Street games make me feel like a genius.
  • Rattlehead - February 1, 2011 7:01 p.m.

What, no Deus Ex?
  • oryandymackie - February 1, 2011 5:32 p.m.

Try playing Modern Warfare 2 online. You'll definitely feel like a genius.
  • 123deckbox - February 1, 2011 5:15 p.m.

At least Tomb Raider was put on there! That game had me frustrated to no end trying to figure puzzles out and really made me feel like a genius when they were solved.
  • mikeydo00 - February 1, 2011 3:04 p.m.

Im going to show that math equation to my teacher and see if his almighty ass can figure it out
  • Ilyere - February 1, 2011 2:53 p.m.

My goodness, that Pokemon formula is complicated! I'll just stick with the normal "Gotta catch 'em all!" thing.
  • philipshaw - February 1, 2011 12:29 p.m.

Great article and there couldn't have been a more deserving No.1