Topics

Top 7

• spideralex90 - November 9, 2010 6:48 a.m.

It took Mass Effect 2's ad campaign to get me to play Mass Effect 1. IT'S SO GOOD. ME2 Was EPIC. This was a good top 7, i don't own a PS3 so i've never played Uncharted, but it never really peaked my interest. Not to say it's bad, i just can't/haven't played it.
  • jmcgrotty - November 9, 2010 7:04 a.m.

Umm.... I hate to be the one that points this out, but you do realize that some of these choices are first-person shooters, right? No chance in hell you could ever praise one of them. I suggest you edit the story as soon as possible, to avoid the embarrassment of too many people seeing it.
  • 2cute2Bcruel - November 9, 2010 9:55 a.m.

I was delighted to see Prof. Layton at seven. Aside from that, there are NO games on this list that are made by Nintendo or are featured on a Nintendo system. Flame if you like, but I grew up w/ the NES. You put L4D at #4! Heh. I agree w/ n00b about the difference between ME 1 and 2.
  • NeelEvil - November 9, 2010 10:17 a.m.

@ 2cute2Bcruel Do you think maybe that's because Nintendo haven't started a new franchise this generation & any new franchises by 3rd partys haven't turned out too well? Wii Sports was perfected with resort & has no where to go now, Conduit was dissapointing & the 1st Red Steel was pretty shit. At least NMH got an honorable mention!
  • scatpack - November 9, 2010 12:26 p.m.

Nice top 7. I think guitar hero or rock band should have been up there.
  • tareq - November 9, 2010 1:02 p.m.

> jettisoned everything that drove us nuts in the first game LolPlanetscanninglol
  • JosefMotley - November 9, 2010 1:26 p.m.

this should have been renamed "why this generation of consoles has failed to come up with anything beyond mediocre" i cannot come up with a single new franchise that has appealed to me in the slightest. bad times. and i've played most of these games
  • AncientCanada97 - November 9, 2010 1:55 p.m.

I can't wait to see what Dragon Age does with it's future. God damn I'm pumped lol
  • CanadianBeaverHunter - November 9, 2010 2:05 p.m.

Nice list. Well, at least the top 6. I haven't played the Professor Layton series yet so I can't comment on #7. But I'll be checking it out thanks to this list.
  • Gahmah - November 9, 2010 4:10 p.m.

I really have to disagree with mass effect, that second game was a pretty substantial letdown story wise, and overall interaction with equipment and things felt too shallow. I mean c'mon, roboskeleton? the other reapers all look the god damn same but humanity gets a robo-skeleton? Not to mention hardly anything really happened in the story, you recruited a few guys, you flew through one mysterious gate, you blew up a ship, the game is cool and rather fun, but I guess as a franchise for the decade is pretty alright. As much as I dislike saying this, I would say COD is a better franchise, don't settle for hackneyed stories like mass effect 2 if you're going to beat on heavy rain folks, it's hardly much better.
  • JADENkOTOR - November 9, 2010 4:27 p.m.

@ Everyone who is stupid and didn't read the article including you digitaltheorpy and the guy above me: LAST GEN GAMES AREN'T ON THE LIST!!!! BEFORE YOU GET BUTTHURT LEARN HOW TO READ
  • babyhenchy1 - November 9, 2010 4:53 p.m.

Mass Effect is one of my Top 3 franchises of all time along with Metroid and Metal Gear. The story is probably the best in gaming, the characters are so good, the universe so deep, and in Mass Effect 2 we had the same strengths plus excellent gameplay and design. Nearly all of these franchises deserves this list. My top 5 ( only franchises that have more than one game released) 5. Gears of War 4. Dead Space 3. Assassin’s Creed 2. Uncharted 1. Mass Effect Soon Portal will be on here too.
  • babyhenchy1 - November 9, 2010 5:05 p.m.

The only reason Bioshock didn't get here was because Bioshock 2 was a big disappointment for me. Still a good game but nowhere near as memorable as the first Bioshock.
  • HitmanSB07 - November 9, 2010 5:37 p.m.

Completely agree with the number one, one of the greatest franchises of all time.
  • monsterhunter3rox - November 9, 2010 7:15 p.m.

No more heroes is going to get a third game next generation.and mass effect has 2 games too
  • ColonelKc - November 9, 2010 8:47 p.m.

Im not trying to be mean, but i dont like this list. Not one bit.
  • InstantTitKill - November 9, 2010 9:40 p.m.

I sure can't wait to hear them discuss this list on the next Tdar, I pretty much could not agree less with this list...
  • Gkicker2 - November 9, 2010 10 p.m.

I'm sure 3 Xbox 360 exclusives aren't going to make PS3 owners very happy. No Crackdown?? No Army of Two?? Just kidding... Thats a joke people!
  • kmdeftones - November 9, 2010 10:55 p.m.

Good list. My only disappointment is that Bioshock is a franchise. I loved the first one, but it had a finite end. Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed built a longer story into their first games, but Bioshock didn't (shouldn't) have anywhere to go. I will never play Bioshock 2 because of this. Having said that, I'm not sure what I would replace it with. @AncientCanada97 I agree with you. I really want to see where they take Dragon Age. I really liked most of the characters in the first one and I cared about the choices I made. I love Bioware!
  • Albireo6972 - November 10, 2010 12:03 a.m.

Screw Mass Errect, that game was horrible, did not care for em one bit.