Topics

Top 7

• Sylizar - January 27, 2009 5:17 a.m.

What about Gears of War 1 or 2. I love how you start off in a prison (1) and a hospital (2). And instantly shit hits the fan and Locust are crawling up your ass, Corpsers explode out of the ground etc.
  • schmeidenkamp - January 27, 2009 5:53 a.m.

i lolled @the pic of Raiden. haha, good article.
  • kanucksfan - January 27, 2009 5:53 a.m.

Bioshock's beginning is truly amazing. When you just start and don't know anything about the game, it just seems alright. But once you venture further into the awesomeness, you realize just how cinematic it is, in the sense of what the spoiler said. If you haven't played this game, go do so. Just don't play on easy, you'll beat it WAY too quick
  • Ravenbom - January 27, 2009 7:28 a.m.

I seem to have more memories of FPS's grabbing me straight from the start. Not my favorite viewpoint, but it does tend to lead to more immediate immersion. Maybe its just the shorter and sweeter tutorial levels. You look with one analog stick or mouse, move with the other. You fire your weapon with one button, reload it with another and open doors/press switches with another. Short and to the point. Lets us actually play the game instead of messing about with tutorial levels for 30 minutes before we ever get to start the game.
  • Jimmyjammy - January 27, 2009 8:25 a.m.

Personally my favourite is Half-life 2's beginning. "Rise and shine Mr. Freeman, Rise and shine..." and then the train arrives and you're like where the fuck am I and what has happened to the earth?
  • Jimmyjammy - January 27, 2009 8:26 a.m.

Yay, First on page 3! WOOOO! Russian Hobart
  • Cernunnos - January 27, 2009 9:22 a.m.

i was actually thinking Fallout shouldnt be on this list, and then its the first game i see. personally i would say Skate and G.H. because if you have never played them before; the gameplay becomes kind of a wow-experience. i'd also nominate DMC3
  • bugmenot - January 27, 2009 10:35 a.m.

you left out God of War 1 and 2. The Hydra and Colossus were epic.
  • Thequestion 121 - January 27, 2009 2:35 p.m.

You are completely right on MGS 2! Playing as Raiden was one of the worst twists that I've ever had to play. Good thing playing as Snake is the best.
  • TrIp13G - January 27, 2009 4:51 p.m.

Half-Life? Indeed.
  • schmeidenkamp - January 27, 2009 6:34 p.m.

@grenade Why was the beginning to fallout 3 corny? because there were no explosions or guys in oversized armor killing aliens? I'm sorry, but that was one hell of a creative opening.
  • familiarrealms6 - January 27, 2009 9:23 p.m.

Dudes and ......mabey dudettes; final fantasy 7 should definately be no1.
  • cricket0 - January 27, 2009 9:24 p.m.

I think the BioShock and Half-Life beginnings are the best.
  • BishopofHippo93 - January 27, 2009 11:30 p.m.

Frontline? Really? I would have thought that everyone would be griping about how common WWII shooters are and how often we've stormed Normandy.
  • Brainspike367 - January 28, 2009 3:12 a.m.

I suppose that the ship level in COD4 doesn't count as it's actually the second level
  • noobmasteroftehworld - January 28, 2009 5:16 a.m.

I read the title of this article and the first game that popped in my head was God of War 2. id take out the intro to frontlines .I mean the intro to MOH:frontlines is cool and all but when do you get to fight an enemy as big as a freakin skyscraper in the first level?
  • Sycomycole - January 28, 2009 7:02 a.m.

i luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv the Bioshock opening. Glad to see it hear.
  • Jason.Darksavior - January 28, 2009 9 a.m.

Bioshock had a very good start, in fact most of it is very good!
  • jamboy199three - January 28, 2009 7:46 p.m.

the start of cod 3 is a bit of a lol "were on as secret mission to get coffee and doughnuts but one problem, the germans drank all the coffee and ate all the doughnuts so now we have to go kick their asses"
  • deathrebellion - January 29, 2009 4:54 p.m.

the top 7 were gr8 but u guys shoulda made it top 10 and added God Of War etc...