A new "title update" has been released for the WWII-based shooter/strategy hybrid The Outfit designed to fix a few problems with online play. The list of "improvements" reads more like patch notes, as the bulk of them center on repairing malfunctioning multiplayer bits and retuning "Destruction on Demand" items and their cost. A number of improvements cover matchmaking and a few indicators of players' connection speeds have been implemented to keep unwanted latency (game chugginess) from worming its way into The Outfit. The update is free to players of The Outfit, and it barely takes a minute to download, so be sure to grab it before your next match. Check out the full list of fixes below the gloriously huge screenshot.
• The connection speed of each player is now displayed in the Pre-Game lobby (green for good, yellow for average, red for poor). This allows the host to identify and remove players who have a poor connection speed before the game begins. The Outfit uses peer-to-peer networking, so identifying and removing players with poor connection speeds before the game begins will eliminate lag for all players in a session.
• The connection speed of each game is now displayed in Custom Quick Match and Custom Ranked Match lobbies (green for good, yellow for average, red for poor), helping players to avoid joining games with poor connection speeds.
• Players wishing to join a Quick Match will now always connect to the game with the fastest connection speed. Prior to this, Quick Match obtained the first game it found.
• Players can now speak to one another in every pre-game and post-game lobby.
• Only your friends who have played The Outfit will appear in the Leaderboard "Friends" filter.
• Fixed an issue where Quick Match player numbers were being reported incorrectly.
• Fixed an issue where 'Play Again' caused the lobby size to be frozen at previous match's size.
• Multiplayer Achievements can now be earned in both Ranked Quick Match and Ranked Custom Match game sessions.
• Vehicles in multiplayer now perform as well as they do in single player.
• Vehicles can no longer be hijacked when they are moving at high speed, significantly reducing "hijack spam."
• Event queue messages now appear on screen for one second longer than before, giving players a better chance to read them.
• Fixed an issue that caused the jump animation to play twice in certain multiplayer situations.
Multiplayer Tuning Changes
• The rotation rate and health of Anti-Aircraft Emplacements has been reduced. Previously, AA guns were too powerful given their cost.
• 15% increase to health for all Halftracks and Tanks.
• 25 FU cost increase to Anti-Aircraft Emplacements.
• 50 FU cost reduction to Artillery Strike.
• 25 FU cost reduction to Air Strike.
• 50 FU cost reduction to Tech 3 Antitank Emplacements.
• 10 FU cost increase to first- and second-tier Machine Gun Emplacements.
• Calliope damage versus vehicles has been slightly decreased.
June 27, 2006