• Champion - December 6, 2009 4:22 p.m.

L4D lighthouse IMO
  • Romination - December 6, 2009 3:09 a.m.

Who but Chris for Counter-Strike? After all, he's put more time in it than should be allowed, if Tdar is any indicator.
  • Spybreak8 - December 5, 2009 6:56 p.m.

As a wannabe level designer I giggled with glee reading this article. Gotta say that's a good list and I would agree with John 117, I'd add on a Starcraft map like Big Game Hunters. I don't know how many different versions of that one people made and I'll be damned it will not appear in SCII. I'd have to say Counterstrike was my college experience while Goldeneye was my high school experience.
  • philuk19 - December 5, 2009 1:56 p.m.

No COD1/MOH:AA? Destroyed Village and Carentan are excellent maps. I dont think new games have not had time to truely make them "great maps" which will always be played.
  • Kytl - December 5, 2009 2:07 a.m.

so do you guys play Battle Course 4 on Mario Kart Wii?
  • LPRICH7 - December 4, 2009 4:05 p.m.

UNREAL - FACING WORLDS????????
  • Sabtos - December 4, 2009 3:22 a.m.

Twisted Metal 2!!
  • TommyG - December 4, 2009 12:27 a.m.

I used to have written down the generation code for the ULTIMATE level in the original Worms. But alas it has been lost to the sands of time, so I shall never know that level again.
  • infern0 - December 4, 2009 12:10 a.m.

WHAT no deck 16 I am dissapointed
  • Over1imit - December 3, 2009 11:53 p.m.

Lol @ Bonus. TF2 has a ton of great maps--fantastic pick ;D
  • Harmonator - December 3, 2009 11:04 p.m.

Personally, I always believed that the Bespin: Platforms map from Star Wars: Battlefront was the best for multiplayer shooters. It was big and gave you lots of vehicles, sure, but it all came down to one small detail... When a team would capture the empty central command post in the center, The hallway connecting the enemy side to the command post would become a WARZONE. Both sides constantly blasting at each other from opposite sides of one small hallway. Like Gold Rush in TF2, dying and killing and respawning made you feel like you were contributing to the overall progress. Sorry, but I'm always sticking with the hallway idea. It was just INCREDIBLE. I always thought a game like Halo 3 was a perfect game for a map that was just 2 small rooms and a hallway.
  • diddly - December 3, 2009 8:46 p.m.

This is a great compilation, Goldeneye FTW!!!!! but i really wanted to see sidewinder on this along with blood gultch, truly fantastic match, and i'm sure it wasn't not thought of, but i would have loved to see it
  • elilupe - December 3, 2009 8:40 p.m.

Charlie Barratt, I love you for saying Rust and Shipment are the best maps of COD MW 1 & 2. All my friends hate those maps for the exact reasons we love them.
  • KankerRam - December 3, 2009 7:09 p.m.

2fort is better than Goldrush
  • metalgatesolid - December 3, 2009 4:09 p.m.

STOP!!!!! How have none of the maps from the incredibly brilliant Timesplitters 2 not appeared on this list??? Best FPS multiplayer ever and the maps are amazing!!!
  • Evernight - December 3, 2009 3:42 p.m.

I must admit that naming two maps which came out less than a month ago as part of "greatest maps ever" (l4d2 and MW2) is rather discrediting. How could we possibly know that already? It seems too much like we are breathing the "new game smell". But the other map choices are solid - honestly you could pick a handful of maps from COD4 and be ok. Strike being my favorite.
  • MaynardJ - December 3, 2009 1:53 p.m.

I hardly ever did online multiplayer games, only Halo and UT2003 on PC a few years ago, and the CTF sessions at Blood Gulch provided one of my finest gaming moments ever... I took the back exit of my tower, looked right and saw a fully manned Warthog racing towards me. In a split second I looked down, threw a grenade and went back into the tower. The Warthog somersaulted right by the exit, 1 kill. I went back outside, saw two guys putting the Warthog back on its wheels, and threw another grenade, double kill. The last guy mounted the Warthog's gun. Out of grenades. Two shotgun blasts to his head before he could even fire the gun. Triple kill and extreme satisfaction.
  • Ulukai - December 3, 2009 1:15 p.m.

Dissappointed to see no UT maps mentioned, like CTF-Face for example. My own personal list would include the 'Chinese' map from Timesplitters. There is a reason those two maps appeared in every single game of their series. It's because they are awesome.
  • usmovers_02 - December 3, 2009 11:35 a.m.

Wow. If your going to add Sand Trap because of it's "customizability" then why not just throw in the ENTIRE FAR CRY 2 MAP EDITOR!
  • breener96 - December 3, 2009 10:19 a.m.

Where're Overgrown from CoD 4, 2 Fort from TF2 and Strike at Karkand from BF2?! Damn it!