• theguyinthecloset - August 16, 2011 10:28 a.m.

@ the people who say noire is spelled right: it would be in french, as the color adjective, but in English a city (like other objects) has no gender hence a default masculin should be used and on top of that it's not really the color black but the genre "noir" which shouldn't be genderized (did I just create a word?) since it is itself a noun. Although "L.A. Noire" can be accepted if you consider the whole title French and not just using a borrowed word from French. In short, it's not spelled wrong but it's not the better option.
  • Dredgon - August 6, 2011 5:37 p.m.

McNamara is a monster who makes me sick and makes me regret buying L.A. Noire just on principle. Maybe they'll station him with penguins all year round where his cold heart will match the cold temperatures!!!!!
  • Crypto140 - August 5, 2011 8:09 p.m.

I don't know what I am more mad about, the fact there might not be an L.A. Noire 2, or the wait for Happy Feet 2.
  • quincytheodore - August 5, 2011 7:44 a.m.

The view from top was so... brief...
  • cart00n - August 5, 2011 1:15 a.m.

Actually, Happy Feet is one of my favorite movies...
  • Yeager1122 - August 4, 2011 11:16 p.m.

Wow they really screwed the pooch on that one.
  • Defguru7777 - August 4, 2011 9:09 p.m.

@space_cakes, Bloodstorm While I agree you should avoid milking a franchise (though I agree with Bloodstorm about Halo not really milking it), of all studios, Rockstar really handles their IPs well. Grand Theft Auto is wildly successful, but it isn't milked. Hell, it's been three years since GTA IV with no official word on the next GTA yet. What I'm saying is, if any studio won't milk an incredibly popular franchise, it's Rockstar.
  • CoryRX8 - August 4, 2011 6:55 p.m.

"What's slightly worrying though, is that Miller is reportedly interested in Team Bondi after being impressed with McNamara's approach to deadlines. There are rumours that Happy Feet 2 is currently hitting a fair bit of crunch itself, you see." This really sickens me. McNamara should be lying in a gutter, friendless and penniless, and yet he's the one who's going to land on his feet without a scratch. Anyone who is impressed with his approach to deadlines, which really boils down to doing nothing and expecting everyone else to fix his problems, needs their head examined. "I don't have a solution, just work harder! Mush, mush!" Yup, that's really being a leader and taking the bull by the horns right there. Yeesh.
  • Pelico - August 4, 2011 6:29 p.m.

Somebody beat me to it. But yes..."Noire" is correct. Didn't you ever take French in highschool? They actually teach that sort of stuff in the UK, don't they? I live in America, where education is shit upon, and I even knew that "noire" was right. Us ignorant amurrican folk don't learn no foreign-ass languages. You don't like it hurr in amurrica then you can git out. Other than that, great article. F**K TEAM BONDI! F**K VIDEOGAMES! F**K THE GOVERNMENT! F**K EARTH!
  • ZuzuPachulia - August 4, 2011 6:03 p.m.

I hope you know I'm taking that photo and turning it into my wallpaper :P
  • rockbottom - August 4, 2011 4:15 p.m.

Ha ha. Lightning IS for ponces!
  • Bloodstorm - August 4, 2011 4:08 p.m.

@space_cakes, Let's not quite lump Bungie and Halo in with CoD. Bungie has made many technical leaps with every major installment of Halo (1-3 and Reach). Gameplay remains widely similar, but that is the reason people buy sequels, to continue to experience a gameplay mechanic or layout that they enjoy but in a newer setting or story arch. It is natural to want a sequel of something you enjoyed, or even just a spiritual successor to a game. Maybe not an L.A. Noire 2, but another, just as interesting detective/police drama with the same similar mechanics and storytelling that this title produced. It could have started a whole genre of police drama video games (still may have, but Bondi won't be leading the charge anymore it would seem). It is a shame that this group had to break up after releasing one of the most critically acclaimed video game's in recent history. I've been looking forward to getting my hands on L.A. Noire. Guess it shows, always treat your employees right. You are nothing without them.
  • space_cakes - August 4, 2011 3:51 p.m.

@DannyMB Why does everything need to have a sequel? You can only keep doing the same thing so many times before it's stale and that time could be spent on developing new IPs. Most examples I can think of for franchises still creating sequels (ie. CoD, Halo, Pokemon) seem to take the existing engine, add a few graphical tweaks and gameplay changes, and bada-bing the public has a brand new game every year. I'd rather shell out for upgrades, not updates.
  • Athenacas - August 4, 2011 3:41 p.m.

@KidKatana It's plural, but it is also a proper noun. "Noire" is correct to use.
  • ibeberger - August 4, 2011 3:27 p.m.

As always an amazing photoshop job Mr. H
  • DannyMB - August 4, 2011 3:25 p.m.

I hope Rockstar buys the L.A Noire IP then, i'll be gutted if theres no sequel.
  • Zepaw - August 4, 2011 3:22 p.m.

Too often lately an innovative studio has folded after releasing their "big" game. This one stands out a bit as it is usually their parent company shutting them down not them breaking apart from internal trouble.
  • KidKatana - August 4, 2011 3:22 p.m.

@ Athenacas While the term 'Los Angeles' refers to a single object, it's actually a plural, so maybe it should be 'LA Noires'.
  • mothbanquet - August 4, 2011 3:18 p.m.

Such a shame that a developer capable of truly revolutionary ideas and game development techniques can't get something as basic as humane working conditions right. I used to dream of working in such an industry but news like this makes me glad I'm just enjoying the final product.
  • Athenacas - August 4, 2011 3:15 p.m.

The feminine of "noir" is "noire," so Team Bondi spelled it correctly describing the feminine noun, L.A. or the city.