• Child Of Death - May 24, 2013 12:46 p.m.

I love how this article neglected talking about the required daily 24 hr internet check and used games essentially being fucked over. This alone makes the PS4 a 100 times more appealing.
  • Figments - May 24, 2013 7:11 p.m.

1) Policies change many many times before a product launch. I expect that by E3, all this nonsense will be sorted out. Until then, cool your jets. 2) They haven't even said anything about used games yet other than "we're working on making sure you can still play used games." Check the official FAQ, bro.
  • bebl09 - May 24, 2013 7:35 p.m.

Wrong: "The bits are on your hard drive. At the end of the play session, when I take my disc home - or even if I leave it with you - if you want to continue to play that game [on your profile] then you have to pay for it." - Phil Harrison, Microsoft Corporate VP http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-22-phil-harrison-tries-again-to-clarify-game-ownership-second-hand-sales-and-always-online-in-xbox-one He also seems pretty darn certain about the whole online thing. "I think the key point to make is that Xbox One requires an internet connection." Notice he doesn't say it may require a connection, or that they're considering requiring an internet connection. I'll still give them the benefit of the doubt but it hardly seems like it's something that might change.
  • Figments - May 24, 2013 7:50 p.m.

And then you read elsewhere where he's redacting his previously stated info and saying something completely different. The point is that there's a multitude of mixed messages from everyone everywhere and it's confusing the hell out of an already tangled mess.
  • bebl09 - May 24, 2013 7:56 p.m.

Source? Not saying I don't believe you, I just haven't seen this. MS need to come out and clarify the situation because it's making it worse them telling us all these contradictory things and then leaving it a mess and not clearing anything up.
  • Figments - May 25, 2013 6:59 a.m.

You're the first one to ask me for a source! :D I'm actually surprised; usually people devolve into petty name-calling by now. Anywho, here you go: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/phil-harrison-xbox-one/
  • ParagonT - May 25, 2013 11:26 a.m.

[Harrison: I don’t think that’s what was said. Let me try and clarify what is happening. So, there is a lot of anxiety about “what if my Internet connection goes down” and you don’t have connectivity for a period of time. There are a host of features which will be usable without an Internet connection — watching movies, playing[ ----certain single player games----]… all of which will operate offline. We expect most of the more advanced experiences, like online multiplayer games, or games which have a lot of connected features… those games won’t operate if you don’t have an Internet connection. We designed the system to take advantage of a connection to the cloud, and all that that means. But no, it’s not required that you are connected all the time, every second of every day.] He's obviously playing with semantics and very cleverly not giving direct answers. The way he puts his words leave a lot to be desired in terms of a single answer. As I noted above with the concern of single player games, he mention "certain games", so that could range from many to almost none and be true. So everything else is what is known. [Harrison: Absolutely, just like you can today. You take the disc, install “the bits” on every machine you have in your house from the same disc, and anybody in your household can play that game. You have exactly the same restrictions that you have today, as in only one of you can play that game at a time because you only have one disc. But anybody in that house… [--well, the Xbox Live account--]… it goes for both the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One, and any user inside that house.] Once again, he is using a play of words to make it sound better than it is. He back-stepped by correcting himself with the above highlight; "xbox live account". So that is not different than what has already been known. Since he systematically covered that it is indeed tied to your account, he had no reason to mention that again in his following answer. But without him mentioning it again, it seems to reinforce the opposite of what was said. So I don't believe this changes anything.
  • Figments - May 25, 2013 11:29 a.m.

My point wasn't that it changes anything. My point was that a lot of contradicting information has been said and has caused even more confusion when there shouldn't be any.
  • bebl09 - May 26, 2013 7:03 p.m.

Although this was him attempting to clear it up, he is pretty much confirming what he'd said before, except purposefully not explicitly doing so. I have to agree with ParagonT that it seems like he's just trying to do a bit of damage limitation but doesn't actually confirm the opposite. If anything it makes things more confusing as he hasn't come out and said "yes we're charging for used games and require a connection" or the opposite.
  • Aceremi - May 25, 2013 5:12 a.m.

Not to mention forking over a fee to play used XBOX ONE games and also that if you have that FORZE motor sport game and 3 other friends want to play in the same house as you those people have to pay a fee in order to play it
  • BipolarTroll - May 22, 2013 7:50 p.m.

PS4 is looking strong. Of course we'll have to wait for the "full" reveal of the PS4 system to truly judge the outcome, but as of right now, Xbox One is pouring gasoline on itself.
  • Princeofgaming12 - May 24, 2013 12:57 p.m.

I have to agree with you, Bipolar Troll but the xbox isnt as bad as you think because that system gets way more games than any other.
  • BipolarTroll - June 4, 2013 12:53 a.m.

Huh? hahaha I get it.
  • CitizenWolfie - May 22, 2013 4:08 p.m.

Honestly, I'm getting too old to be caught up in another silly console "war," and if I can save up enough, I'll buy both as I'd hate to miss out on a killer exclusive. That said, so far PS4 looks far more promising as it seems like for the most part, Sony have gotten the motion control fad our of their system. Microsoft on the other hand seem so pleased with their Kinect tech that they don't seem to realise that the overwhelming majority of core gamers don't have huge rooms to take advantage of the tech or are indeed not that bothered with it in the first place. That's why I'm pretty skeptical when MS say that they have 15 exclusive games lined up as I'd wager at least a third of those (if not more) will be gimmicky Kinect games. Sony on the other hand at least showed some teasers for new games and franchises along with interesting tech demos from third party devs which sparked my interest. But maybe MS are after a different market now? Either way, the real shocker came from my mate, a real Sony-hating Xbox die-hard fanboy said he was going to switch to PS4
  • blake-mizzell - May 22, 2013 2:52 p.m.

Okay. So looking at just what we know for sure so far about the Xbox One and ps4. The ps4 and Xbox have basically the same processor. (same line, the Xbox's may be clocked slightly lower but the difference will be negligible) The PS4 has a graphics chip capable of 1.84 TFLOPS. Microsoft said the the Xbox One has 8 times the power of the 360. Well, the Xbox 360 has 355 GFLOPS of processing power. In that case using simple multiplication, you are looking at 2.84 TFLOPS of processing power. Which includes both the CPU and GPU. Also, if the ratios of Xbox 360 CPU to GPU are used to figure out what each piece in the Xbox One is capable of, then we are looking at about 1.81 TFLOPS for the GPU and 1.02 TFLOPS for the CPU. Therefore, almost dead even with the PS4.
  • bebl09 - May 22, 2013 3:20 p.m.

Are you really going to take Microsoft's marketing talk about how powerful the console is as fact?
  • blake-mizzell - May 22, 2013 3:35 p.m.

By no means. I'm just going off of what has officially been told. This is purely speculation. If we went off of what has been leaked then look right below this and you can see.
  • AtlanteanLancer - May 22, 2013 1:08 p.m.

- Xbox One CPU - PS4 8 Core Jaguar 1.6 Ghz - Same as Xbox One - Xbox One GPU - PS4 GPU 12 CUs AMD GCN 2.0 - 18 CUs AMD GCN 2.0 768 Shader Cores - 1152 Shader Codes 1.23 Tflops - 1.84 Tflops PS4 GPU 50% more powerful* - Xbox One RAM - PS4 RAM 8GB DDR3 - 8GB GDDR5 68 Gbps Bandwidth - 176 Gbps Bandwidth PS4 RAM 2.5X faster * _____________ *with a grain of salt taken as of now, PS4 is not only a more focused machine fencing of as little as 1Gb DDR5 for OS but a more powerful system in general XB1 design spends a lot of money on the improved Kinect 2.0, it's main selling point as a media hub.
  • StrayGator - May 22, 2013 12:38 p.m.

AnandTech did a more thorough comparison from a purely technical (hardware) point of view. Turns out that PS4 is both more powerful (with faster memory and 50% more graphics horsepower) and leaner (no simultaneus virtualized OSs) On the other hand, the X-bone is expected to consume less power (which also translates usually to quieter operation). The PS3 had a somewhat weaker GPU than the X360, so it suffered from spotty performance in games that weren't optimized for the lowest common denominator. With the X1's GPU being 2/3 the PS4 GPU (literally - both use same architecture and process, 768 proccessing units in the X1 and 1152 in the PS4) I'm afraid to think how it's going to perform.
  • PolarBearsInHeat - May 22, 2013 12:01 p.m.

I really think it'll the same thing as last-gen. Honestly, I'm damn near 100% sure the x-one will win (sales-wise) in North America and PS4 will win abroad. As of right now, there's so much announced content readily available and easily accessible on the x-one for the American market (and to a lesser extent, the Canadian market) for your average North American consumer to pass up on it. However, we have yet to see what kind of exclusivity deals (if any) will be announced in the EU. A recurring argument is also being made that "the games make the console/the best exclusives will win/win the software devs, win the console war" and those statements are hardly true. As far as the whole exclusives thing goes, very little can be said before we get to E3. Until we have a real idea of just what Microsoft's first-party devs are doing behind closed-doors, we absolutely cannot say for sure who will dominate exclusive-wise. For Msoft or Sony to "win" the console war, they've gotta get a hell of a lot of sales. To do that, they have to broaden their market past gamers. It's just the way it is and Microsoft has put on a more mature, entertainment oriented mantle with the x-one than Sony is adopting for the PS4, which will decidedly be a boon to them when trying to cater to an older audience. Additionally, I know there have been many people arguing over GDDR5 being so vastly superior to DDR3, but most of those people have little to no understanding of how RAM really affects performance (in reality, GDDR5 is not nearly as beneficial as most people are making it out to be).
  • Divine Paladin - May 24, 2013 12:30 p.m.

I legitimately can't see the One winning in NA this time around. Yes, the 360 clearly has that locked down here compared to PS3, but I feel like you grossly underestimate the backlash against the One's reveal by saying it will win. I've seen almost nothing but hate for it regardless of any forum bias; my personal group of friends who currently trend toward 360 (but are all open-minded generally) have already decided on PS4, as will most of the true core market. (I say true core because there are those that call themselves core but really only play a few AAA games.) Most gamers with respect for the industry will likely not support the console when it's become a media console more than a gaming one - not to mention the possible outright destruction of the used game market. And the casual market, well, perhaps they'll buy into it. But even then, the price really defines that; if it's truly $600 as rumored, I can't see it exactly hopping off shelves. (I'd think that they're going lower, though, because they can make a killing off of Live and the nonessentials and can take a loss on hardware itself.) Keep in mind that Call of Duty consistently sells 15 or so million copies on 360, which amounts to about 10-12 million gamers and a few million more casual fun-seekers. If those gamers jump ship - and current reaction dictates most will - it's a safe bet that they're losing a BIG portion of their market; unless the casual market can reach let's say 1.5x the former core 360 market, I truly cannot see it winning in the US. (And given the Wii's still-prevailing success and the older market you spoke of having no need or want for upgraded hardware, I can't see that happening.)