• RuggedBeef - June 20, 2012 8:39 p.m.

I wish they would come out with an actual separate handheld controller for IPad. Why is it so hard? I would actually buy games for it if I had one. Touch screen is awful for shooting games and such.
  • Slimewowgrogga - June 11, 2012 12:28 a.m.

Just for the Record. I have a Ps3, Pc, iPad 3. I play my iPad 3 the most! There are thousands of games for the iPad 3 including FPS, MMOs, RPGs, action, simulation, racing etc. You name it! It's there! Have a look at order and chaos for an MMO that is a WOW clone, that has depth and lasting play and is as cheap as chips. Playstation are yet to match that on a portable. The iPad can simulate buttons or even have some additional hardware like iCade for real buttons, or for the iPhone an accessory that makes the phone just like a handheld made by the same people. The iPad has emulators of c64, turbo graphix 16, Amiga games, Atari, pinball, Sinclair spectrum etc. Playtation where are you on this? This doesn't even need much processing power. the games on iOS beat a consoles games in price hands down all the time and in fact some games gain popularity on iOS and then later port to ps3. Just because you don't have one, or have used one, allows you to show your ignorance and hubris publically without critism. Infinity blade is hardly like fruit ninja. Playstation Vita has come the touch screen way. A perfect example of iOs devices influence. You thinking of eating poo probably explains the crap coming out of you mouth. I bet it won't be long and your mobile tab up the top splits and becomes an android tab and a separate iOS tab. These platforms are growing exponentially as it is where the money is. Ask your mum for an iPad for chrissy! Become a good reviewer rather than a judgmental ignorant ranter! Glean some experience and knowledge before you post crap, and maybe you critism might mean something. This message was posted on an iPad!
  • RuggedBeef - June 20, 2012 8:42 p.m.

You are dumb. Please stop.
  • nhowell14 - April 9, 2012 12:51 p.m.

Just to clarify, the exact quote was "more memory than the PS3 or 360" No where and i mean no where, did Epic saying anything about which platform had more "power" To give perspective, if you say the ipad 3 is more powerful than the PS3 or 360, then you're saying the Vita is more powerful than both by far. ipad 3 hardware teardown: 4 core PowerVR543 GPU, 1GB RAM, and a dual core A-9 Cortex CPU. Vita: 4 Core PowerVR543 with dedicated 128MB VRAM, 512MB of RAM, and 4 core A-9 processor. Vs the systems that are actually far more capable: 360: Rv7 GPU with 10MB eDRAM, 512MB RAM, 3-core hyperthreaded CPU, so 6 theoretical cores. PS3: Nvidia 7950GTX GPU (highly modified) with 256MB GDDR3 RAM, PowerPC hyperthreaded core with 8 synergistic processing elements that act almost as if they are standalone CPUs, with 256kb of memory on the chip die, along with 256MB of XDR memory, what used to be the fastest. So, if you included yeilding one SPU on the cell, and one dedicated for the OS, that is STILL 6 Cores of processing power. I'm sorry, but infinity blade only looked as good as it did due to pre-rendering. Epic is a very lazy company who has been very good on promoting engine tech at the cost of developers. Sooo....Just a recap: PS3>360>Vita>iPad3>iPad2>Xbox
  • Montebello - March 9, 2012 12:30 p.m.

The lack of physical buttons kills it for me. There are some nice games in AppStore that I can't stand playing just because of that.
  • DualWieldingIsNotFeasible - March 8, 2012 8:23 p.m.

Personally, I play a ton of games on my Droid...via emulators. The fact is, simple smartphone games get old unbelievably fast, because they're all one-trick ponies. Once I've knocked over one pig-filled shack, sliced a few pieces of fruit, or showered one alligator, I've exhausted the potential of the game. Whereas I can play a ton of huge, deep RPGs on an emulator, any one of which is able to hold my attention far longer than any mobile game.
  • usrevenge - March 8, 2012 8:10 p.m.

yes, games on a 5 inch screen... oh wait i have a 39 inch tv.
  • Orren - March 11, 2012 8:39 a.m.

Sweet, must be a little heavy to carry around though...
  • ChaosEternal - March 8, 2012 3:14 p.m.

It would be nice if Apple didn't release new versions of their hardware every year. I'd rather see a large change every few years rather than a few mediocre changes for the same full price every year. :P
  • Person5 - March 8, 2012 3:32 p.m.

What you just described would be nice, but in reality the few mediocre changes actually allow them to charge an extra $100 for the iteration
  • Orren - March 8, 2012 6:12 p.m.

It's just the same this way (almost) as you have the choice to upgrade every year or 2 or 3 or what ever you want. This way when someone who doesn't own an IPAD buys one they get up to date tablet power. You can skip generations. If you have an IPAD 2 wait for the IPAD 4 and you'll get a nice upgrade. Or since the products tend to hold their value quite well you can sell your old one for a reasonable price on Ebay and use the money to get a nice discount off the new one. The only disadvantage from them doing it this way is (AFAIK) some games won't play on older IPAD's but I don't think its many that have that issue. Even if the IPAD 3 is more powerful than a console hardware (Which I doubt) developers are wizards with the Xbox 360 and PS3 now so they can push them very far in terms of graphics detail. Probably more than IPAD developers will push the IPAD 3. Until apple make a wireless control pad for the IPAD it will never complete with consoles/handhelds anyway.
  • TurtleAssasin33 - March 8, 2012 11:07 a.m.

Agree completely. Apple makes products that have great time passing games, but when I really want to play a game, you'll find me in my comfortable chair with a controller in my hands, not a tablet. I think we all agree that Ipads are not a gaming platform.
  • NotBraze - March 8, 2012 11:03 a.m.

Personally, I think iOS devices are important for gaming, however, statements that they'll replace console gaming are obviously absurd hyperbole that feed into the whole image Apple was going for at that Keynote: "The iPad does everything, and it does it the best." A multi-touch tablet will never ever be an honest threat to full scale console or PC gaming, we're all smart enough to know that so there's no point in getting our feathers ruffled when someone claims they will just dismiss them as either an idiot or someone who wants to sell you something. However, not everything has to be a war. If we can take a step back and stop treating mobile gaming as a threat to console and PC gaming (which, as we've discussed, it is anything but) we could realize that it has an important place in the industry in which it can co-exist with everything else. I love my iPod touch and I love playing games on my iPod touch. From Infinity Blade to Plants vs. Zombies to The Secret of Monkey Island and, yes, even Angry Birds. They're all fun game experiences that I enjoy having with me wherever I go. And to be honest, gaming on an iOS device scratches an itch that handheld gaming never could for me. It's a great gaming experience that I can easily enjoy on a lunch break or a car trip or a waiting for a movie to start and I don't have to worry about arriving at a check point or completing a level; when it's time to stop I just exit the app, and when I get some more time I can pick it up exactly where I left off. The iOS devices *are* legitimate gaming devices, and as an article on GamesRadar once said, anyone who denies that fact is kidding themselves. It's simply home to a different type of gaming than is home on a console. I wouldn't want to play Mass Effect 3 on an iPad, but on the same token, I wouldn't want to play Infinity Blade or Plants vs. Zombies on my 360.
  • Person5 - March 8, 2012 3:36 p.m.

While this is a well thought out post and I agree with 98% of what you said, I have one thing I don't agree with, and I'd rather play Plants vs. Zombies on my PC rather than an iPad, for some reason I felt I really needed to tell you that
  • Ravenbom - March 8, 2012 10:54 a.m.

I think Infinity Blade is more Punch-Out than Fruit Ninja but I recognize hyperbole in making a point. Also, the recaptcha on this site sucks. It's gotten better, I don't have to have a Cyrillic keyboard to make a comment anymore but it still really makes you work for every comment you make.
  • theatticusera - March 8, 2012 10:17 a.m.

I wholeheartedly agree. I've had an iPad 2 for a while now and I don't play a single game on it. I use it for web browsing and comics. Not a damn thing more!
  • CombatWombat101 - March 8, 2012 9:37 a.m.

This article is the reason why David Houghton is my hero. I've heard the ridiculous "iDevices are going to make consoles obsolete" argument so many times it's beginning to make my head hurt. When I worked at GameStop, someone came in to show off to my boss that Unreal Engine 3 "walking around an empty castle" simulator, proudly proclaiming this "THIS IS THE FUTURE OF GAMING." I just don't get how people were ever impressed by this. Congratulations, you have a handheld device that can render a moderately good-looking castle, but only as long as there's nothing actually going on inside of it.
  • garnsr - March 8, 2012 8:22 a.m.

If people were willing to buy new consoles every year like they do with Apple products, or PC components, consoles would obviously be as overpowered now. But one of the appeals of consoles is knowing that the system you have will get improvements in game quality by developers getting better, not by us having to constantly fork over more money.
  • ultimatepunchrod - March 8, 2012 9 a.m.

This this a thousand times this. The benefit to having a console over a PC is that you know it'll be supported for at least 5 years and the only thing you HAVE to buy are games. You can buy add-ons (cameras, peripherals) but you don't need them to play the best games. I don't want to buy a new console every year and the games industry would die if they started asking people to.
  • Person5 - March 8, 2012 3:38 p.m.

that and when a new console generation comes out the changes will be huge, relative to the small changes between Apple devices