• tek-l-war - July 12, 2012 6:50 a.m.

I like how the devs have gone on and on about how the game will be neutral to the war from the main character's prospective, yet every trailer is this obsessively patriotic tone. Hell, to make it worse is the fact that the game hasn't had any work by a US studio (Does ubisoft even have a US branch?) It just makes the patriotism seem prejudice, like they think this is what Americans ACTUALLY think like CONSTANTLY, that we can't get over the revolution or something. I mean, I love the revolution as a time period, I love movies and books that take place during it, but GOD, seriously...just, what the hell.
  • Shinard - July 8, 2012 2:20 p.m.

Alright, firstly speaking as a Brit I accept we were on the wrong side in that war. Not a great period for Britain. But we were nowhere near as bad as the Crusaders were (so I don't think we should be portrayed like they were in AC1) and this overly American patriotism is starting to annoy me, as they weren't exactly perfect either in that time. Secondly, I just want one trailer which shows Connor killing American soldiers. They don't even have to make a big thing out of it either, just a couple of seconds to convince me that this isn't just an "U-S-A! U-S-A!" style game. (Also, in ACR's multiplayer, wasn't there a file that said one of the founding fathers was a Templar? )
  • bebl09 - July 7, 2012 10:04 p.m.

I see the debate's mainly about the American/British thing and that's a good thing. Ubisoft have consistently insisted that it's not all "AMERICUHH, FUCK YEAH!!" and that it's about Assassins vs Templars, not just killing redcoats, but absolutely all of their marketing has suggested otherwise. I realise it's mainly just pandering to American patriotism and the types of people who will go out and buy a game just because of trailers like these, but it would be nice if we had more of a representation of the game itself, and not just these ridiculously pro-American adverts. Also the kid talking about not learning the history of a country he'll never see made me laugh as it seems typical of modern-day America. So you've got the patriots and the ignoramuses in one ad (they probably overlap in a lot of instances to be fair), well done Ubisoft!
  • aJAWSOMEocelot - July 7, 2012 1:51 a.m.

Well, I teared up for some damn reason.
  • MassSaber - July 6, 2012 4:39 p.m.

Like it or not we (Great Britain) ran an empire for centries and it wasn't very nice afterall you don't get to own most of the planet by being nice. Not that I'm letting ubisoft of though i'm sure they could of made a neutral ad campaign for us Brits or the rest of Europe but with july 4th round the corner they probably decided it would easier to make a rather silly yet very pro American live ad very nicely covers up the fact the both side in the conflict used dodgy tactics Slaves used as cannon fodder come to mind
  • Jessmn2 - July 6, 2012 4:17 p.m.

...OVBIOUSLY the people in the trailer are going to be pro-american anti-british. It takes place in America. I understand they haven't given many hints that there will be just as much fighting against the U.S. army (technically not U.S. yet, but you get my drift). So what if there is none? It's going to be a great game no matter which "side" Connor is on/kills. The enemy could be space aliens and it'd be great. No matter what happens, though, people are going to bitch about this game. Too much redcoat killing? IT'S TOO AMERICUH Too much American killing? SOME PATRIOTIC BULLSHIT Either way, people are going to be pissed for a stupid reason at a video game. Just play the damn thing and enjoy it.
  • NuclearTango - July 6, 2012 9:03 a.m.

I bet all my Beijing Rupees one of the founding fathers is a Templar.
  • Tyrlanae - July 6, 2012 10:39 a.m.

I hope so, that could either be a massive plot twist, or a serious cause of tension and drama!
  • Z-man427 - July 6, 2012 5:28 p.m.

A lot of them were free masons, a society often linked to the Templars, so it's most likely a part of it.
  • Jacko415 - July 6, 2012 8:08 p.m.

Benedict Arnold comes to mind.
  • MenWithCandy - July 6, 2012 3:37 a.m.

Watch it muted.
  • Markoose16 - July 5, 2012 6:11 p.m.

Hopefully as it gets closer to release there will be a trailer that at least hints at American Templars because right now it feels like all the trailers are the Good guys USA vs the Bad Guys UK instead of what series is supposed to be about, Assassins vs Templars. A bit of balance needs to be shown and the US can't be constantly shown as angelic good guys. Something about the slave trade would be interesting too as this is an interesting time for it, especially as the Americans could be shown as more 'evil' than Britain regarding treatment of slaves.
  • Tronto13 - July 5, 2012 3:13 p.m.

The one-sided nature of the trailers etc are confusing to me really. It's not the fact that I'm annoyed that it is always red coats under attack or portrayed as sinister and "evil" because I'm British its because I'm unsure how it will fit into the templar storyline. As bigbob said the whole Templar, and in extension of masonic "sects/cults," are so prevalent in American History. Even characters within the game who have been named as allies have alleged links to the masons/templars (George Washington being the big one). It makes me wonder how they are then going to fit this into the story. My guess would be that the Assassins side (possibly unknowingly) with the bluecoats who are Templar who then at a later date betray the Assassins leading to where we are in the modern lineage of Desmonds story where the Templars are in power and the Assassins are scattered.
  • robotdickens - July 5, 2012 2:01 p.m.

I think we all can agree Ubisoft (or otherwise the studio who keeps making these trailers) makes beautiful trailers.
  • Redeater - July 5, 2012 1:58 p.m.

"When I refuse to learn the history of a country I'll never see." This trailer was decent but they sure picked a silly line even if it was spoken by a child.
  • DoctorCrazy - July 5, 2012 2:28 p.m.

And I wonder why people say Americans are ignorant of the rest of the world. That line didn't help at all.
  • Dman3981 - July 5, 2012 8:48 p.m.

Yeah that was pretty ignorant thing to say.
  • Thebigbob22934 - July 5, 2012 1:52 p.m.

Only way I could see it acting neutral would be if the Continental army spurned the Assassin's aid in exchange for Templar assistance, namely from France. It would help to explain how the Templars grew so powerful in modern times and provide Connor a reasonable excuse for taking out the Revolutionaries.
  • Tyrlanae - July 5, 2012 2:08 p.m.

That is a fantastic idea. Or there would be Templar corruption and influence among the upper echelons of the Colonial forces via Templar agents and allies, possibly from the French. That would create a unique situation in which Connor would have to covertly hunt them down, as being discovered assassinating Colonial allies would gain him the ire of both sides. This is all speculated from the fact that the Colonial forces seem fairly non-aggressive towards Connor, so he has to be allied with them in some way.
  • Budisawesome - July 5, 2012 1:32 p.m.

Assassins creed 4 homo erectus :D