• Captain_eff - May 31, 2013 9:29 a.m.

I nearly had to wear sunglasses when playing Syndicate. When're they gonna stop with all this 'sun right in your face' lighting? It's pretty annoying.
  • PatHan-bHai - May 31, 2013 9:14 a.m.

Dat Enslaved!
  • CitizenWolfie - May 31, 2013 7:51 a.m.

Didn't Dave Haughton do a list like this about a year ago? Anyway, the lighting in Battlefield 3 is one of many reasons why I'm crap at the game. I can't see anyone unless I'm spamming the spot button. Seems a bit unfair for Alan Wake as it's part of the nightmarish art style. It'd be like saying Limbo uses too many soft focus filters. I've noticed Skyrim is pretty awful for bloom lighting though. But then I'm not a fan of the graphics in Skyrim anyway (on my Xbox at least)
  • Shinn - May 31, 2013 5 a.m.

Halo 3's flares always blinded me.
  • pl4y4h - May 31, 2013 12:25 a.m.

Though most people have probably (unfortunately) already forgotten this game, Split/Second was bright as hell
  • mafyooz - May 31, 2013 12:37 a.m.

I'm not normally a fan of racing games but split/second is great, and very prone to burning your retinas!
  • sandplasma - May 31, 2013 12:12 a.m.

Anno 2070, every and I mean EVERY screenshot of that game is blurry as hell due to the overuse of bloom. This is the single reason I didn't buy the game, believe it or not. :(
  • Swedish_Chef - May 30, 2013 9:53 p.m.

Halo 4 made me puke rainbows. SO PRETTY!!! BUT SO BRIGHT!!! Syndicate meanwhile probably gives people seizures from just looking at screenshots of it.
  • sweetchiliheat - May 30, 2013 9:05 p.m.

Like many here, I didn't find Enslaved's lighting terrible at all. I especially liked the level where you flew around on your "cloud". Made for a nice change of pace from lush green to vibrant blue. Other than that I definitely agree with Battlefield and Syndicate. I normally don't notice bloom, but considering I was actively aware of it in those games, it's definitely far too bright or, you know, maybe your character has light-sensitive eyes?
  • aberkromby - June 2, 2013 9:02 a.m.

I didn't find it terrible either, until this article. Now that they mention it, the vegetation is kind of neon green.
  • FAT47ITY - May 30, 2013 8:13 p.m.

If you try raiding a camp in Borderlands 2 at sunset, you're gonna have a bad time.
  • shawksta - May 30, 2013 8:10 p.m.

MY GOD THESE EXISTS!? Also, there's a recent poster of Wind Waker Link but updated to look more closer to the actual Toon Link colorwise. Its not fully confirmed but its been seen. And Anouma said it himself they were trying different engines to find some good ideas that wouldnt reflect the actual project, which should be a breather for those who werent appealed by the bloom
  • pokepark7 - May 30, 2013 4:51 p.m.

*sigh* i cant believe i haven't noticed some of these and that there so true.
  • somerandomchap - May 30, 2013 4:25 p.m.

I'm playing through Enslaved for a second time since it has been a while since i beat it, as well as it being my favourite game this generation. Even after coming off PC gaming it still looks incredible. I wouldn't say the lighting is that bad. It uses a lot of soft lighting and bloom in some instances but its not all the time and suggest anyone that hasnt played it should do so.
  • daltin-f-loomis - May 30, 2013 3:33 p.m.

I seriously think that since the bloom effect was created lighting has become screwed.
  • Elgyem - May 30, 2013 2:45 p.m.

I would pay good money for a fantastic bionicle game.
  • archnite - May 30, 2013 2:42 p.m.

Oh come on the Bionicle in that picture has the power of light! How else would he attack save for blinding his enemies and the player.
  • talleyXIV - May 30, 2013 2:02 p.m.

The lighting in Battlefield 3 was such a huge turn off. The graphics are supposed to be gorgeous so why cover it in the lens flare of 8,000 suns?
  • aberkromby - June 2, 2013 9:04 a.m.

Because they weren't that gorgeous. They need the blue filter and lighting effects to cover up the flat, stretched, and muddy textures.