• Mounce - July 31, 2014 5:59 a.m.

Nier . . . for sure
  • brickman409 - July 30, 2014 2:08 p.m.

I think the over use of bloom in games like Journey and Enslaved helped the games art style. Both of those games were going for a surreal look and the lighting helped with that.
  • CG_723 - July 30, 2014 9:21 a.m.

Ummm. ..what about the memory time lapses in the beginning of Fallout 3?? That white screen of death tho..
  • punishment - July 30, 2014 9:18 a.m.

Maybe it's because I've been playing a lot of N64 lately, but all those screenshots look fucking incredible to me. Too much light never bothered me. I've been trying to play through Dead Nation and can't stand how incredibly dark it is.
  • cbrinkmann1981 - July 30, 2014 6:18 a.m.

Somehow Need For Speed: Most Wanted 2006 missed this list. The sun was always so irritatingly bright, a constant shifting of the slider for the daytime was absolutely necessary at least once every 20 minutes, usually more often than that. "Oh, you're in the midst of a 5 star police chase? TIME FOR BLINDNESS!"
  • xiongyunqiang - July 16, 2013 10:29 a.m.

I am selling Guild Wars 2 gold at GAMEREASY at very competitive prices and ready for instant delivery. For additional value use coupon code jay3 for 5% off your order. Not only is buying for GAMEREASY a safe and secure experience but all proceeds from buying gold from GAMEREASY go to support OwnedCore and it's great community.
  • g1rldraco7 - June 3, 2013 11:20 a.m.

Why is lighting unbalanced in games? The right lighting sets the mood.
  • Mattgyver - June 3, 2013 9:06 a.m.

Dark Souls Demon Ruins - oh that lava!
  • anwarul-azim - June 3, 2013 11:14 a.m.

I hear you brother
  • paul-lague - June 3, 2013 7:26 a.m.

Worst use of light in a videogame? the TACLIGHT in BF3,too bright and too dazzling at stupid ranges and just as bright on the daytime maps on the console versions
  • ZeeCaptain - June 3, 2013 12:05 a.m.

Why did you list Alan Wake GR? That's like berating Limbo, both games are in black and white, or rather Alan Wake is during the night time action scenes etc... Anyway yes they use a strong presence of light, but that's telling you that the flair you just threw is bright as hell, and if it was a dim little sparkler then you can't really expect it to damage the baddies that much now can you? Basically in a game where your using light as a weapon, then maybe it's understandable that the light is bright as fuck, otherwise it doesn't seem very intimidating.
  • winner2 - June 2, 2013 6:10 p.m.

I've been playing oblivion again and god damnit some of that lighting makes no sense at times. It also shines light on how ugly those models are at times (relative to now cause back then I had no complaints)
  • haydengamer - June 2, 2013 7:36 a.m.

A GREAT way to avoid the nasty lighting is to turn down your brightness. Battlefield 3 looks amazing, and I've never had problems with the lighting after I toned it down a bit. As for Journey, wtf are you people talking about? Most of the game takes place in a desert! IT'S BRIGHT IN DESERTS!
  • ghettosunday - June 1, 2013 4:44 p.m.

I agree with all of these, except for Journey. That game was meant to have very pronounced lighting in that scene, to show contrast, and add to the aesthetics of that area. In my opinion it worked very well.
  • shinkeidei - June 1, 2013 3:12 p.m.

Guy you missed Bioshock Infinite, at least in consoles the lighting is agressive at the beginning!!!
  • Nines - June 1, 2013 4:01 a.m.

Because you don't need to see anything. Developers already said that this is FROSTBITE 101 AND NEXT GEN GRAPHICS ARE SUPER MEGA AMAZING. You MUST believe even if you can't see sh*t. Lol, they even banned players with the color mod. What would happen if everyone will see that BF3 graphics are actually from ~2007? BTW, you forgot about Crysis 2 and Mirror's Edge.
  • aberkromby - June 2, 2013 8:31 a.m.

Amen to that... I've been saying it all along, BF3 graphics aren't that great. They're just layered with effects. Though I wouldn't say mirrors edge has too much lighting, it's just that the games color scheme consists of mostly white. Still, ME graphics are much better than BF3.
  • NullG7 - May 31, 2013 4:24 p.m.

I like it in BF3 when I purposely put my back to the sun and zoom in with my sniper rifle to try to kill some people, only to be blinded by the enemy teams spawn (thats in the shade. At this point I find its easier to snipe when I'm staring directly at the sun, its not as bright. Also I like how people's faces in Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas disappear when you talk to them with your pip boy light on. GAMERS AGAINST ABUSE OF LIGHT BLOOM!
  • FOZ - May 31, 2013 1:24 p.m.

I came for Syndicate. Also Battlefield 3's campaign even has a section where you are blinded by car lights and are supposed to shoot them. In a brightly-lit parking complex.