Topics

arcade Retro

We Recommend

• jackthemenace - January 7, 2013 9:40 a.m.

I won't exactly say it's special, but I always remember Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer for it's not pushing start stuff. I remember having it on when we first got our PS1, and not being able to work out how to get it to work- I think I had the controller in the second controller port rather than the first, which is excusable because I was 5 and it was our first home console.
  • ViolentLee - January 6, 2013 6:01 p.m.

2 of my 3 have already been mentioned: Super Metroid with its teasers on advanced techniques, and Soul Blade with its amazing-for-its-time CG intro sequence and music. The third on my list is Sonic CD; it a literal cartoon opening and a great song. But really, I'm in disbelief that Super Metroid didn't make the cut. Super Mario World's instead? Come on!
  • CountRichtertoffen - January 6, 2013 10:03 a.m.

Does Mario's face in Super Mario 64 count? Because I remember that being great fun.
  • CitizenWolfie - January 6, 2013 2:41 a.m.

Was it just me, or did anyone else ever try to play the secret Special World level from the Super Mario World attract mode in exactly the same way as the video? I could never quite get the timing right. It was called "Groovy" if I remember rightly
  • Froyton - January 5, 2013 5:30 p.m.

I know most people hate this game, but I always loved the one in Twisted Metal III, including Calypso's monologue.
  • Skate360 - January 5, 2013 12:20 p.m.

One of my favorite intros ive got on my list is the one from Devil May Cry 3.. Dont ask why,just dont know ._.
  • Time4Tiddy - January 5, 2013 9:05 a.m.

Fire Emblem games always had great pre-start intros. On the GBA I remember it would show some of the characters that you might or might not recruit along with their starting stats, along with still art that you would never see in the game. Path of Radiance on the GC had a much more involved pre-start intro with great music and beautiful artwork, I would wait to watch through it every single time I played. It still gives me chills to watch it now! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h739AyS6hM
  • Elgyem - January 4, 2013 8:03 a.m.

Mario strikers charged had an awesome intro.
  • john-paul-sutherland - January 4, 2013 7:01 a.m.

Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast had a wicked opening sequence. I remember bringing my HK Dreamcast into college and playing it on the telly in the common room, pretty much everyone said they wanted one after that. History says they were lying. But the sequence is still awesome.
  • rxb - January 4, 2013 4:55 a.m.

Tekken 3, ok it ripped off Virtua Fighter 2 but it did so well. Also Ridge racer.
  • minimaxi - January 3, 2013 6:56 p.m.

"Since you have traveled so very far, be my guest and let me ENTERTAIN YOU!!"
  • avantguardian - January 3, 2013 5:24 p.m.

i love how towell's articles are trending towards weird video game subversion. keep 'em coming.
  • Jonamon23 - January 3, 2013 1:48 p.m.

Super Mario 64! I used to love playing with his face as a kid...
  • AdamPrime - January 3, 2013 3:15 a.m.

Of course: Super Metroid!! Were it not for the demo, how many of us would have figured out the 'burst-out-of-the-suit energy-refill' thing? And the "beam shields", too.
  • buckybantam - January 3, 2013 2:11 a.m.

Vagrant Story is responsible for my never-lost habit of waiting a minute or so before I press START on the title screen through fear of missing a plot-revealing cutscene. I mean Jeez, that discussion between the shadowy conspirators revealed more about the convoluted story than the instruction booklet... I love that game. I'm so glad someone remade it and called it 'Dark Souls'...
  • ultimatepunchrod - January 3, 2013 12:29 a.m.

All great intros for sure. Especially Ocarina. I can listen to that music for days.
  • winner2 - January 2, 2013 8:29 p.m.

Gonna echo another person here: Digimon World 1 and 2. Best openings in my memory, and those games and shows gave me an everlasting love for the first and 2nd gen digimon.
  • cgriff63 - January 2, 2013 7:14 p.m.

The Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings. And I have no idea why it isn't on this list.
  • Moondoggie1157 - January 2, 2013 6:52 p.m.

Onimusha 3, nuff' said
  • 7-D - January 2, 2013 5:08 p.m.

That Wave Race intro music IS the 90s.