Topics

NGP PSP2 Sony

• OTLeon - February 2, 2011 7:22 p.m.

@yagirlfriendsfavoriterapper Teens won't be able to afford PSP2 if it is very pricey. Actually, it could be much cheaper, but Sony added the nonsense rear track pad means we have to pay more for something we might never use. Yeah, it might be great for casual games, but we won't buy it for playing casual games.
  • Tranquilbez34 - February 2, 2011 7:12 p.m.

Deciding to ponder between a #DS or PSP2?....... Fuck it I'll get both :D
  • OTLeon - February 2, 2011 7 p.m.

@lukas1051 I remember many people said PSP will destroy DS, too. But at the end, PSP and just failed. And technically, PS3 is more powerful than 360 and Wii, but the result? So more powerful != larger sales And if they have the same game on the PS3, I'd like to play PS3 version. If it doesn't have great and exclusive games support it, it will just be a big great powerful brick.
  • J-spit - February 2, 2011 6:57 p.m.

Call it "PSP360". (yes it's a joke for I am fully aware of who makes what)
  • spideralex90 - February 2, 2011 6:45 p.m.

I'd buy this over the 3DS. Although the 3DS will probably outsell as the 3DS will probably be cheaper.
  • therawski - February 2, 2011 6:38 p.m.

With everyone going 3DS nuts, I find it odd that I feel like I've seen more useful footage from this one clip from Sony than Nintendo hype can afford.
  • CoryRX8 - February 2, 2011 6:33 p.m.

That's a lot closer to portable PS3 than the original PSP was to portable PS2. I'd say that Sony is still exaggerating, but they've definitely come a lot closer to delivering on this one. Wow, that had to be the most backhanded compliment I've ever given. Despite how negative that sounds, I'm definitely impressed by the NGP's graphical capabilities.
  • usedforglue - February 2, 2011 6:13 p.m.

Sony will still have a hard time beating Nintendo with this. Nintendo has Pokemon and sony has nothing comparable, at least not in the states. Nintendo just does a better job catering to the kids and they are the majority of hand-held players. I love my PS3 but I don't see myself getting much use out of a PSP2, although the technology whore inside my still wants one and a 3DS...
  • MaverickHunterAsh - February 2, 2011 6:11 p.m.

Meh... looks really nice, but the NGP is going to need more than pretty graphics to compete with the 3DS. This is exactly what happened with the PSP last generation; beautiful visuals that outperformed the DS's, but the games just weren't there until very near the end of the PSP's lifespan. For me so far, Sony's done nothing to prove that anything will be different with the NGP. I don't buy a handheld for console-quality graphics, I buy it for the games -- and outside of Uncharted and maybe that rear touch pad Monkey Ball-esque game, there is shit all on the NGP that interests me in the least. I'll probably get one eventually once some third parties come out and announce some games I must own (Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep Volume Two anyone?), but the difference there is that Nintendo had me sold on the 3DS on the day they formally unveiled it for one reason, and one reason only: games. Not the 3D. The games. So far the 3DS' lineup is killing the NGP's, and if that continues to be the case, consider this generation's handheld wars an automatic repeat of last generation's. I want Sony to do well with the NGP, I really do. I'm getting a 3DS on day one, but competition is good. I'm totally happy to buy both if the NGP ends up being worth it. But so far, Sony has completely failed to convince me that it will be. It's all about the games, Sony -- you should have learned that after the DS spanked the PSP. If you haven't learned that yet, then... there's really nothing else to say. Nothing will change with the 3DS vs. the NGP.
  • ultimatepunchrod - February 2, 2011 6:02 p.m.

not really sure what you mean by "finally getting the gameplay" footage because this was the one they showed in the press conference and its been on youtube since last thursday. anyway i definitely want this thing. and i dont care if no one else does, im saving for it now.
  • sirdilznik - February 2, 2011 6:02 p.m.

To be honest I'm not blown away by the graphics. I mean they look nice I guess I was just expecting more. They're just not as much better than the 3DS than I thought. Then again these are probably early development shots and I'm not so much hung up on graphics anyway. The bottom line will be the price. If Sony can make this come in around the same price as the 3DS (or less) than this will be a winner. I think WHEN Sony announces the price will be quite telling. If the price winds up being close to the 3DS (i.e. $300 or less) than Sony would be stupid no to announce the price before the 3DS ships (i.e. REAL soon) to try to get people to hold off on buying the 3DS. If they hold off on announcing the price until after the 3DS ships that tells me that this portable will be $350+. $350 is the number that keeps popping in my mind when looking at the specs and knowing Sony's pricing history and if it's that expensive, well people were bitching about the 3DS being $250, who's going to drop $350 or more on a portable?
  • RonnyLive19881 - February 2, 2011 5:55 p.m.

@yagirlfriendsfavoriterapper, you have a good point with the people that don't have HDTV thing BUT 3DS is nearly just as good and in 3D... plus it has all the best franchises tied to it! I guess it all comes down to you preference in games Lol
  • JimmyCooldaddy - February 2, 2011 5:27 p.m.

I'm going with 3ds. The dual analogs make it close though
  • yagirlfriendsfavoriterapper - February 2, 2011 5:24 p.m.

@lukas1051 Well said, I agree. Wow I am shocked at how much hate there is for this system. Even Game Radar has been blind to the FACT that way back even on the Gameboy there were Metroid's and Castlevania's (some of the best console games at the time). On TalkRadar they sounded like this has never happened and was never successful, come on guys wake up. Think about the teens that do not have an 3DHDTV and want a new hand-held that has games for the more mature gamer, they bought PSP and they will buy NGP. You see it a lot at Gamestop 14 yr old kid has PSP not DS, I think this is the market SONY is going after.
  • PlainLikeVanilla - February 2, 2011 5:21 p.m.

I gotta admit this thing keeps impressing me more and more. I was planning to get a 3DS once it's launch window games are all out but if this thing is priced $300 or less I'm getting this instead without question.
  • Jasman - February 2, 2011 5:20 p.m.

PS3 quality or not- those games still look mightily impressive. The show reel didn't quell my scepticism, but at least it shows the raw power of the handheld as well as some of potential launch titles we could be playing.
  • Turboash - February 2, 2011 5:20 p.m.

3D fad = Nintendo's loss.
  • 510BrotherPanda - February 2, 2011 5:17 p.m.

Turning the camera with the touch screen was a load of BS. If they talked up having a second Control/Analog Stick, WHY WEREN'T THEY USING IT? It looks nice, but the tilt and touch mechanics looks so stupid right now.
  • oryandymackie - February 2, 2011 5:16 p.m.

@RonnyLive19881 Did you actually watch the video? Because, in my opinion, the PSP2 is going to blow the 3DS out of the water...
  • QWERTYCommander - February 2, 2011 5:06 p.m.

Sorry Nintendo, if this is at an affordable price (Yeah right), then I'm going to go with this. If it's anything more than $300, 3DS it is.