• mafyooz - March 29, 2014 2:25 a.m.

The only free game I've really liked is Frobisher Says on the Vita :) I've also tried League of Legends and some tower defence type thing I can't even remember the name of and I just found the gameplay styles incredibly dull, not my thing at all.
  • Moondoggie1157 - March 28, 2014 11:34 p.m.

I can't think of one F2P that has held my interest longer than a month. And even that month was spent grinding and "farming resources". Again, just like your article on Facebook buying the Oculus Rift, I can't agree with your optimism.
  • Bansheebot - March 28, 2014 9:33 p.m.

Imo, the only games that really work well as f2p are MMOs/Mobas, simply because how they're designed. For every other genre that has a f2p title somewhere, like F/TPS, there is just a better alternative that you can just buy and get access to everything, often for cheaper than what you would spend unlocking things you'd want in a f2p game. Battlefield P4F is one such game that I don't see why it exists or why it even has people playing it. It is literally just BF2 with no modding, a character system that limits what classes you can play unless you go through a paywall, most all the weapons put behind paywalls, and blatantly stronger weapons/attachments put behind higher paywalls. The only positive it has is customizing your player model, which isn't that much of a positive since it's also ridiculously expensive. Some non-mmo/moba f2p games work. Blacklight Retribution is probably one of the better examples of a good f2p, but examples are just too far and few between that they get completely drowned out by horror stories of games that abuse the f2p model like the new Dungeon Keeper or the F2P Battlefield games.
  • shawksta - March 28, 2014 8:48 p.m.

There's nothing wrong with Free to Play But if making a purchase comes at making getting it normally without paying a massive hassle, then we got a problem.
  • DFX2KX - March 29, 2014 10:47 p.m.

Indeed. The application is the key, moreso then the Model. A few notable companies (Hello, Gaijin!) Try and fix the issues, when and if the crop up. economic adjustments, and whatnot.
  • Trollkitten - March 31, 2014 9:50 a.m.

Amen!
  • nick-stancato - March 28, 2014 8:30 p.m.

For one thing, I don't like or enjoy being nickled and dimed. I want to buy ALL content up front, not be harassed to spend money in-game. Because these games are so cheap, they often play and look worse than PS2 games - and that's not impressive in the slightest. I'll spend money on quality; I don't have time to waste on freemium crap
  • Bear266 - March 28, 2014 7:09 p.m.

Free-to-play can be done right but it seldom is. Here's what I think is okay: - Strictly non-competitive single-player gameplay (no leaderboards either): levels/maps, known value cheats, extended story, playable characters, and modes. - Cooperative or competitive gameplay: levels/maps, modes, cosmetic content (skins), and extended story. The core/base content and gameplay should be able to stand on its own whether its for two minutes or 20 hours. And there should be little to no grinding. Defining grinding is difficult and it depends on the game but there is a general way to describe it. If you have to replay the same/similar levels repetitively with the same/similar goals to progress, it's probably grinding - especially if there is no meaningful story content to help pace it. Asking for payments for a reward of unknown or variable value is unforgivable as are any form of pay-to-win in co-op or competitive gameplay. I know it isn't easy to get this right but I feel like more often than not it's done wrong because of greed... That is why it has such a negative connotation these days.
  • DrLovez69 - March 28, 2014 6:09 p.m.

Ive really only tried DC online when it went f2p, and dust, both very decent games in their own right, but both involve incredible amounts of grinding (at least when i was playing it) and that to me is off-putting. Games are just that, games, not work. sure i could spend a few euros to enhance my experience, especially if im enjoying said games, but i think thats what separates good f2p games from bad ones, the content intially offered. It shows developer confidence.
  • universaltofu - March 28, 2014 4:48 p.m.

I understand about people having no reason to stay if a F2P game isn't blasting them with quality immediately, and I think it has to do with the literal lack of monetary investment. I mean usually when one pays for something there is an impetus to get your money's worth, to see it through.
  • SpadesSlick - March 28, 2014 4:02 p.m.

The reason I don't play free to play for the most part is that the ones that are really good are MOBA's which is not a genre I am good in, and the ones that aren't usually require insane more grinding than I care to do in order to progress. I did play Ascend: Hand of Kul on 360 and that was pretty fun for what it was worth.
  • LordZarlon - March 28, 2014 4 p.m.

I've been playing Hawken since it came to Steam and I love it! I don't care for the way they monetize things but fortunately I took advantage of a good deal on Steam and got what I felt was worth paying for. People don't like F2P because it means the individual pricing of many items. In the end the games will end up costing more because the industry would not create a pricing scheme that would make less money than the old one. That's what we don't like. Knowing that we will probably be paying more for a game to get all the content than when we payed the full price up front.
  • Cyberninja - March 28, 2014 2:12 p.m.

I have played Free to Play games in the past in have no problem with them, Honestly if a game has my interest I rather have it be free then cost $60 just to try it. After all no one finds demos to be a bad thing.
  • jmcgrotty - March 29, 2014 2:39 p.m.

Demos are a very bad thing.