• D0CCON - January 24, 2012 1:44 p.m.

How's about a modern game that DOESN'T involve Russia? They aren't a modern threat dammit. We are on good terms right now. How's about something like Homefront, but done better?
  • Radimir - January 25, 2012 4:46 a.m.

I would hardly say that the US and Russia are on good terms. Better terms than they have been for the past half-century or so? Perhaps. But you can hardly call the two the best of buddies.
  • kingsmikefan - January 24, 2012 1:25 p.m.

Vietnam and Korea. There, you 50 years to work with.
  • HamsterGutz - January 24, 2012 12:16 p.m.

I never got sick of WWII games. They're my favorite type of shooter, especially Medal of Honor Allied Assault.
  • Julian94 - January 24, 2012 9:08 a.m.

Combination of Skyrim and CoD should work lovely.
  • thomas1980 - January 24, 2012 8:58 a.m.

Good, finally. I miss those old guns that actually had quirks to them and didn't just spray hundreds of rounds a minute. I like having to make tactical choices between accurate, powerful but slow bolt action rifles and weaker, faster, harder to aim SMG. Honestly in modern shooters I don't know any of the guns, and they pretty much feel much the same or slight variations, and each gun can be used in most situations. I for one never got bored of WW2 games (well the good ones anyway), but Modern Warfare got old after CoD4 for me.
  • ThisIsMyFuckingThirdAccount - January 24, 2012 2:38 p.m.

I might suggest trying a Battlefield game. BF3 guns feel radically different from each other, at least to me. I have different favorites for every map and for any given situation.
  • XLGirthMan - January 24, 2012 2:43 p.m.

Thank you! I absolutely love CoD World at War but every Cod since has been garbage as far as I'm concerned. And I agree about the guns, I could tell you every gun in WaW and what they do, but I couldn't tell you a single modern gun because they're all the exact same spray and pray-ers.
  • DannyMB - January 24, 2012 8:45 a.m.

It all sounds great when they're talking about the mechanics and stuff, but in the end the game will just be a bunch of predictable, scripted missions. Make me a sniper for hire (not historically accurate, but roll with me here), give me an open world, WW2 ravaged Berlin. I can go round picking up missions from various factions (Russians, British, Americans). You get paid, use the money to upgrade various bits of kit, guns, sights, camo etc. Then doing stuff like protecting your vantage point would have meaning, and wouldn't be anywhere near as predictable as it will probably be in this game.
  • EnragedTortoise1 - January 24, 2012 8:26 a.m.

If we absolutely must dig through the past like this, how about more Vietnam? Or how about you actually make me care about the people who are getting shot?
  • ZhugeLiang - January 24, 2012 7:57 a.m.

How about ANY OTHER SETTING AT ALL AAAAAAAAAGH
  • closer2192 - January 24, 2012 7:47 a.m.

Developers are looking to return to WWII because they can work within an established history to create a story. Look at the problems of story in MW2, or the shit campaign of BF3. It's very difficult to create a "techno-thriller" story, or at least create one well. And, as the negative reaction to "Six Days in Fallujah" showed, the world is not ready for games based on modern warfare that actually happened/is happening.
  • jasonx101 - January 24, 2012 7:46 a.m.

I'm game for this. It's been a while since I've played and enjoyed a war game and for me WWII always has potential. It would be nice for devs to explore other world conflicts though, shake it up a bit. I am bored of the likes of Modern Warfare and Battlefield just because they don't feel as authentic as I'd like. For me, the older firearms, tactics and personalities just hold more character......... But maybe I'm alone on this
  • CameronPoe - January 24, 2012 7:28 a.m.

You know what i'm sick of more than WWII games? Alternate WWII games.
  • S0ULEATER - January 24, 2012 7:27 a.m.

Could it be the sniping game I have been waiting for O.o
  • HumorTumor - January 24, 2012 7:24 a.m.

I was never bored of WWII. I'm happy to see someone returning to it. I just hope the game is good.
  • Tronto13 - January 24, 2012 7:16 a.m.

Developers need to get new ideas! WWII - Done, Vietnam - Done, Iraq/Afghanistan - Done! Its just like the film industry they need to stop reusing old, done ideas and create something new!!
  • egregious - January 24, 2012 6:51 a.m.

World War II is not an ideal answer but it's not TOO ridiculous. We were over saturated with WWII FPSes that featured at least one Normandy Invasion level and a run through a ruined European town that was either gray or had snow. The Saboteur was a fun attempt but drowned in clichés. Ironically as I write that I'm about to praise COD: World at War because I can't really ever remember playing a WWII game set in the Pacific Theatre that wasn't 1942 on the NES but also had its European town levels as the Soviet Army. You want to bring WWII games back? Give us a new or rarely seen (in games) aspect of the War (Afrika Korps? I dunno), and offer more than just Shooting Gallery from Point A to Point B.
  • THEBIGJ3 - January 24, 2012 6:40 a.m.

There are a lot of other wars to choose from, why do developers always flock towards WW2??
  • ThisIsMyFuckingThirdAccount - January 24, 2012 2:46 p.m.

They think about what sales. If you have it set in WW2 with US and British vignettes, the US and British will buy those games. If you get something obscure, the masses will be detached from it.
  • bass88 - January 24, 2012 6:39 a.m.

Meh. World War 2 was a very overrated sequel of The World War.