• Jackonomics2.0 - January 16, 2014 10:09 a.m.

Oh well, were surrounded by morons
  • chad-munn - January 16, 2014 11:09 a.m.

I...um.... let's just say your post left me with a new level of understanding about this problem.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - January 16, 2014 2:30 p.m.

Your welcome
  • chad-munn - January 16, 2014 3:52 p.m.

hahaa... now I think you're doing it on purpose. Or this is the saddest case of pots and kettles that ever existed.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - January 16, 2014 5:52 p.m.

Both sides of people in this problem are morons and we all know it.
  • ParagonT - January 16, 2014 7:13 a.m.

I don't think verification is the issue here. The issue is that companies are trying to pass off one hundred dollar purchases for virtual coins at a legitimate business, and there is little features to prevent it in the first place or failing to do so. That is the real issue here. Obviously a hundred dollars for some virtual coins is ridiculous and a large overreach of what companies should be allowed to do. Theres laws in place that keep companies from blatant gouging, there needs to be laws for virtual gouging. It should never be an option. That way, theres no need to wonder the legitimacy of claims. Digital laws need to hurry up and catch up, but with 60 year olds who hardly know how to use a keyboard in charge of the political circle, that world is long off. With 15 minutes of storing the info, children can turn that into a nightmare in the blink of an eye. They need to be verifying every purchase.
  • SnakeinmyBoot - January 16, 2014 3:28 a.m.

Good to see a government organization fighting a business that had done a legal but morally corrupt practice. I know at least one Apple exec was thinking this was a way to make more money while they were coming up with the 15-minute transaction authorization policy. And the fact that many games and DLC all around do not give a good description of the product in their store page and don't have a demo makes this sound even better. I hated reading you get all these maps for Halo 2/3 map packs and buying it because I had to in order to go on the playlist I wanted and rarely see most of them until the next pack is almost out. I felt cheated by it and would have tried to get a refund if I could. As much as it could be abused, maybe this policy will get companies to think twice about tweaking their business models take advantage of the customers, too.
  • jh4911 - January 16, 2014 3:16 a.m.

Perhaps there should be a system such that each transaction requires some kind of parental consent/input. They shouldn't have to refund the purchases however, it's entirely the parents fault for giving a CHILD their credit card. I'm sure it says as you put in the information that it will be stored for 15mins.
  • Divine Paladin - January 16, 2014 3:54 a.m.

From what I recall (a few years ago, not longer than 2011), there is no claim of such. I could recall incorrectly of course.
  • JachAnen - January 16, 2014 2:13 a.m.

"And even if the FTC can convince Apple to reimburse millions in micro-transactions, that would just be a drop in Apple's $15 billion bucket." No it wont. If they start paying, the amount of claims will reach far beyond 37000. The percentage of earnings from the games would be lowered significantly, and for some it might force them to increase the prices or move to another model maybe even closing a game since they can't profit (worst case scenario). Even though I love seeing Macintosh in trouble, this isn't justified. The parents should have used the card themselves, watch the payment go through, and removed the information. The credit card companies and Apple, should support a login requirement for using the credit card, in case the kid should remember the info. Maybe with settings for which sites it should apply, but should be default for every site.
  • shawksta - January 15, 2014 11:48 p.m.

Let me be honest, i didnt understand a damn word in the title, then i read and now im horrified of the possible future just as you are Lucas.
  • GOD - January 15, 2014 9:23 p.m.

I think the main issue here is: The transaction info was stored for 15 minutes, so what a parent thought was only 1 small microtransaction, their child turned into a cumulative megatransaction. It's a system designed where you think you gave a child a dollar, and instead were tricked into giving them your credit card. If they change it to password per transaction (by default at least, with an option in settings) then the problem is solved. In any other situation you are knowingly giving your child the purchase each time, and beyond that it can be related to a simple analogy. If you give your child a debit card, you can't blame the candy store for your kid buying $100 in candy. Also, if you buy $100 dollars in pizza cause you had some sudden urge to do something stupid, that too is your fault as an adult. If they're going to start making more cases for adults splurging with microtransactions because they didn't "understand the ramifications" then they might as well go after credit card companies as well.
  • TokenGamesRadarFurry - January 15, 2014 7:52 p.m.

Hey, if this means companies might think twice about shoehorning microtranstions into their games (looking at your Microsoft), I'm all for it.
  • Doctalen - January 15, 2014 6:13 p.m.

Maybe its because I am terrible at gambling but I haven't gotten the appeal of these random packs. Then on top of that I know right away that the in game purchases are meh at best and a shitty excuse to get money at the worst. Seems obvious to me to avoid that type of spending. But I can definitely see it being a problem for younger children (I am under the impression that kids around 10ish should have learned some financial responsibilities) it could be a problem. But to play devil's advocate couldn't the parents have simply not have had their credit card numbers remembered or changed the account settings? I'm fairly certain I have my Itunes account set up so I have to enter the password every time. Now to the few but siginifacant adults who have wasted tons of money on these packs/ingame shit, there is no excuse and while I always feel like a way to screw over corporations are awesome, I hope there's a fraudulent system in place when this ruling is implemented. I have no idea as to how it'll happen though.
  • gabriel-aquino - January 15, 2014 5:44 p.m.

Apple should have had features in place to prevent the issue in the first place. Your assumption that this may include some adults seems unsubstantiated and a straw man argument that defends a practice that took advantage of children and maybe some adults who should have known better and maybe with some new features cannot use my kids did it as an excuse for not wanting to pay.