Google+

Final Fantasy Versus XIII canceled according to report

There's a juicy rumor going around right now based on a report filed last night on Kotaku. Apparently, multiple sources are telling their Japanese editor that Square Enix has opted to straight-up cancel Final Fantasy Versus XIII. The report is still unconfirmed.

FF Versus XIII was announced way back in 2006 at E3 as part of the huge announcement of Fabula Nova Chrystallis: Final Fantasy. At the time, it was a very exciting announcement simply because FFXIII looked so cool. We loved the idea of expanding on that universe, but now it's increasingly clear that Square Enix bit off more than they could chew.

As previously noted, this rumor is not yet confirmed, but we've never known Kotaku to just straight up lie. That said, there's always the possibility that their source isn't as well informed as he/she thinks though. 

As a bit of a potential eulogy, you can check out our backlog of FFvXIII coverage over the years. If this is true, then it's a bit sad to see the last time we reported on it was when it was rumored it was being turned into a full-fledged, numbered Final Fantasy game. 

The kicker to all of this is that we may never find out for sure. According to Kotaku's sources, SE may never actually announce the cancellation out of fear it will hurt their stock prices. Although, honestly, a statement like that gives us a shred of doubt about the veracity of the report.

22 comments

  • ultimatepunchrod - July 21, 2012 9:01 p.m.

    If it was cancelled, maybe they'll start Kingdom Hearts 3. If not, hopefully they'll finish it...and then start Kingdom Hearts 3.
  • LordZarlon - July 20, 2012 7:52 p.m.

    First things first. Final Fantasy will never be cancelled if it continues to make SquareEnix money. That's not a cynical statement. It's just the truth. Second, there was never any concrete info about Vs.'s story for me to get excited about it. A game that had a title and some screenshots got cancelled. That's it.
  • Redeater - July 20, 2012 3:47 p.m.

    Meh. I think you can count me out regardless. I enjoyed 13 a lot more the second time around but I picked up 13-2 for $20 and about 2/3 of the way through I was ready to give up. They did a complete 180 from the linear format and made an entire game about backtracking.
  • IceBlueKirby - July 20, 2012 3:42 p.m.

    I can only hope this rumor turns out to be untrue. I've been looking forwards to Vs. XIII for quite some time, and to see it cancelled would be a shame.
  • Asmodean - July 20, 2012 1:04 p.m.

    Well I don't think it cancelled, but I do think it's on hold, it's been 6 years since it was announced after all. That said I think S-E is in a kind of rebuild mode. With FF XIII and XIII-2 doing less then expected, FF XIV's near total failure (even though I really like it) and near schizophrenic development plan that churned out a string of substandard products, I think the company has a who is slowing down to insure everything the do is 100%. The one bright spot is Eidos, which hopefully has a free hand to develop as it sees fit, which produced the amazing DeusEx:HR. Right now I think (hope) much of the company is working of the FF XIV reboot, with the grand scale that they want for the new Version of the MMO I don't see how they could be doing anything else. I think the the Failure of XIV was such a massive lose of face the brass might see it as a do or die situation, that they have to make it work, not only for pride sake but because to the public S-E is seen as coasting and not innovating.
  • sirdilznik - July 20, 2012 12:57 p.m.

    Honestly, they could cancel the entire series for all I care. At the very least Final Fantasy needs a good long break because frankly it hasn't been good in a long time in my opinion.
  • Moondoggie1157 - July 20, 2012 1:01 p.m.

    See, I'd have to disagree... Out of the many series going strong, I think Final Fantasy has always kept a high degree of quality. Now, the games have changed, quite a bit in some cases, but overall I don't think they have gotten any worse. Of course, we are talking opinions here, but hey...
  • Redeater - July 20, 2012 3:51 p.m.

    Don't argue with him. He's right.........because he said so. Obligatory BB reference aside I don't see 13-3 not coming out. Square has already said they wanted to take advantage of the engine they created. Why create a multi million dollar engine and only make 1 or 2 games? Especially since this console generation is lasting so long.
  • Redeater - July 20, 2012 3:53 p.m.

    Oops. I meant 13V. Damn lack of edit button.
  • Moondoggie1157 - July 20, 2012 12:52 p.m.

    Ok, before you all get your panties in a knot, please take into account that this is a Kotaku rumor... So, yea... Let's use some restraint before we start bashing SE over this. Now, don't get me wrong, if this rumor turns out to be, I'll be pretty pissed about it, Versus looked great (well, as great as a CG teaser can) and there is really no reason for a company to straight up cancel a flagship name just like this. I can't see SE given this up if not for a good reason, I mean really... This is probably their most highly anticipated release in years upon years, for them to just cancel it like that is kinda unbelievable. Unless they are planning something bigger (But I mean, come on, bigger than Versus 13?) I don't see this as anything more than bullshit. Before we go cursing the company and swearing our flaming boycotts, let's use some common sense, and wait until this is more than a rumor. I swear, GR really attracted some funny folk when things changed... Brains people, let's use 'em! If this really were anything more than rumor and hearsay, don't you think GR would have donated more space to the article, I mean it wasn't really a headliner... Just sayin. If this rumor really is somehow true, SE better have something worthwhile waiting for us... For real.
  • n00b - July 20, 2012 12:18 p.m.

    dang i was actually looking forward to this one. I was gonna buy a ps3 for this and The Last Guardian. Guess Im never getting a ps3
  • Clovin64 - July 20, 2012 11:29 a.m.

    I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be true. Now get cracking on Kingdom Hearts 3.
  • daniel-siemens - July 20, 2012 3:16 p.m.

    kingdom hearts is for two types of people 1 being weeaboos and 2 children under the age of 10....
  • DrVanillaPHD - July 22, 2012 9:15 a.m.

    Or how about people who enjoy quality games with an interesting story, lovable characters, and near-perfect gameplay, rather than the same old FPS's that get churned out every year?
  • sharkweek - July 23, 2012 3:38 p.m.

    And here I thought Kingdom Hearts was a substandard 3rd person action game with a shoddy camera and cliched insufferable characters.
  • SentientSquidMachine - July 20, 2012 11:24 a.m.

    http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/5z25lw/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-japanese-gameplay-reveal-trailer There's just no way.
  • Omrikon - July 20, 2012 11:12 a.m.

    Unfortunate if true, but I'm not too overwrought about it. The last game to come out of SquareEnix that I enjoyed was Deus Ex, and I consider that more an indicator of the quality at (what was formerly known as) Eidos Montreal than SquareEnix themselves. Still, I think they'll have to come out with an official announcement, regardless of whether this is true or not, or risk further loss of faith from their customer base. The simple fact that the rumor has started will already begin negatively affecting their stock price until either they honestly announce (or denounce) the report.
  • BaneTigerSeeker - July 20, 2012 10:39 a.m.

    So you are telling me that Nomura-san has wasted the last six years of his life making nothing? Damn it, the game looked promising, but I am holding a sliver of hope that this is just a rumor.
  • onetimebuster - July 20, 2012 10:32 a.m.

    If this is true then i will be very sad.
  • SentientSquidMachine - July 20, 2012 10:08 a.m.

    I'm not a CEO, or President of an company or corporation, but I also don't do drugs, and I don't think the forces that be partake enough to do such a thing. They are creating the best game their company has created this generation. Save it for the next gen...i'm ok with that. OR you could delay the release of the console versions until next gen and release it on PC earlier.......please? But I digress. This game is not being cancelled. Everyone in charge would, and should lose their jobs if this thing isn't finished by launch of the next gen consoles. The trailer I saw before E3 '06 with the soliders and the magic and blood and whatnot, blew my mind, and Ive been paitently waiting, getting excited everytime screenshots are released. Square, you meraged with Enix and lost your way. If this gets canned, I'm done with you.

Showing 1-20 of 22 comments

Join the Discussion
Add a comment (HTML tags are not allowed.)
Characters remaining: 5000

OR…

Connect with Facebook

Log in using Facebook to share comments, games, status update and other activity easily with your Facebook feed.