Topics

Microsoft WTF

• potpan0 - March 10, 2011 6:36 p.m.

It made me laugh when it said on BBC News something like 'There hasn't been such a gaming boom since the Wii.' Nope, no other thing has sold lots of copies in the gaming comunity since the Wii.
  • Agent79 - March 10, 2011 6:25 p.m.

When they come out with a Kinect Kevorkian game then I'll shell out the money for a Kinect, 'til then I will continue to be a opponent of Kinect.
  • InFeRnOg - March 10, 2011 6:25 p.m.

"What the f*ck!?" indeed. Approaching the Kinect launch I felt compelled to start a blog that almost exclusively ranted about how useless Kinect is (thanks to GR for constantly giving me further proof and examples). Reading about this world record is the final proof I need that humanity is in fact doomed and the apocalypse is forthcoming. I agree with db1331 - I think Xbox owners bought this "to prove a point" that it was the revolution of gaming, but unfortunately that point has not yet been made (and in my opinion it will never be made). One of my friends pre-ordered a Kinect but cancelled the pre-order just prior to launch after my insistance that he wait it out and see if it was actually a revolution. Perhaps 10 million others needed this extra support to say "Hold on, have you actually THOUGHT about this thing?!" Maybe then we'd be reading about "Kinect abysmal sales: worst piece of tech developed ever" instead of "Kinect fastest selling consumer electronic ever: Consumer intelligence at all-time low"
  • BadLadJon - March 10, 2011 6:24 p.m.

all my friends go to me first day "YEAH I GOT A KINECT, FUCK YOU AND YOUR PLAYSTATION" next day not a fucking peep from them
  • Balaska - March 10, 2011 6:24 p.m.

My mate has Kinect, he is 41 and a pretty hardcore gamer, he plays on it quite a lot when he isn't shooting noobs on BF:BC 2. I think it's a fun device, but can't see myself getting one any time soon.
  • db1331 - March 10, 2011 6:23 p.m.

@Stridefizzel The Wii is exactly what I thought it would be too. I got mine on launch day. I don't think I have a single game for it that can be found on PC/Xbox/PS3. That's exactly what I got it for; Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, etc. I do 95% of my gaming on PC, so the Wii is just a backup console for me. I will admit, my Wii is currently in the process of moving to the smaller TV upstairs to make room for the new PS3. It's not going to gather dust though, especially with Skyward Sword coming down the pipe.
  • FauxFurry - March 10, 2011 6:21 p.m.

My college freshman niece wanted to play Kinect (mostly for Dance Central and the exercise titles. She has some Wii-Fit experience and it looked like something she'd be in to.) but since a basic PlayStation 3 bundle is only twice the price and it actually has games that will be played for more than a few weeks then abandoned to gather dust (maybe the dustmites will enjoy Kinect's current offerings?), I decided to hold off on buying a Kinect sensor to save up for a PS3 instead. She'll move out of town eventually and will have more important things to worry about than Kinect, anyway, not that she's mentioned it for a month or two lately, anyway. Maybe most of the Kinect units sold were purchased by Oprah Winfrey? Joking aside, the influx of little kids sending friends requests with nothing but Kinect games and M-rated FPSs and Fable 3 on their gamercards says to me that the Kinect is doing just fine with people who don't put much time if any in the forums and comment sections of videogame-related websites (or even have a working sense of proper internet communication protocol...there I go again. As if such guidelines would be acknowledged even if they do exist).
  • tehSharkness - March 10, 2011 6:20 p.m.

I have a friend who made his first console purchase of a XBox 360 + Kinect bundle. Luckily, he has already discovered that the Kinect will broadcast conversations between him and his girlfriend across the war-torn battlefields of CoD BlOps.
  • db1331 - March 10, 2011 6:12 p.m.

I think Kinect is just one of those things that a vast majority of people that own a 360 felt obligated to buy. That pic of the pre-owned 3 day old Kinect for sale made me LOL though. Some poor idiot just threw away his money. Maybe it was this guy: http://www.i-mockery.com/chojin/xbros.png
  • Samueltehg33k - March 10, 2011 6:11 p.m.

As for the impact a lot of my casual friends love the thing. but aside from Kinect Adventures and Dance Central no game are really played.
  • Stridefizzel - March 10, 2011 6:09 p.m.

Just for the record, I consider myself a hardcore gamer, and I never excepted the wii as more than a casual gamer's platform. There is nothing about that system that is hardcore in my eyes. Over the course of the years, I've ended up with all 3 current systems, and while I play my ps3 and 360 all the time, I gave my wii to my parents and they use it for netflix. That's it. I tried many times, but there was nothing good on the wii that kept my interest except for Super Mario Galaxy, although that wasn't as great as everyone says it is. My wife and I however have played the kinect (I don't own one yet, but I probably will one day), and I gotta admit, the technology is pretty dang cool. I think once child of eden hits and we get some other decent games on it as well, the kinect will easily surpass the gimicky wii in popularity.
  • Dexsus - March 10, 2011 6:08 p.m.

"yell a collective "What the f*ck!?" and question the very nature of reality." Exactly what I did when I heard about those sales figures. Maybe these families that Nintendo are marketing to have been worn down by their ad campaigns and are now subject to Microsoft's in your face marketing. I mean the damn thing was on Oprah.....I'm just glad I didn't waste any money on it.
  • Samueltehg33k - March 10, 2011 6:06 p.m.

I use Kinect as a guitar hero controller its something you use at parties until something really cool comes out or i'm bored enough. just like the wii as well now that i think of it. And are you really questioning the popularity of the Kinect post Wii?
  • beema - March 10, 2011 6:04 p.m.

You know what, I think it has to be parents buying it for little kids. That would explain why none of us rational adults has ever encountered people with one.
  • killorabbit - March 10, 2011 6:03 p.m.

It is strange. I've never met anyone who owns one or has even used one for more than about 5 minutes. Perhaps it's selling well because it does "new" things. It certainly isn't for the games. Or maybe people just have more money than sense.
  • MancisFrorkYorgan - March 10, 2011 6:01 p.m.

Bill Gates is building a new home from Kinects. It's the only explanation.
  • beema - March 10, 2011 6:01 p.m.

Yeah, this really boggles my mind as well. Nobody I know has a Kinect or has ever mentioned one. Like you, I hang out will all sorts of people, most of which are not hardcore gamers whatsoever, but many of whom own a Wii or at least know/like Wii games. I have no idea who is buying the Kinect. Plus, doesn't it only have like 4 really crappy games? Has word of mouth really helped it spread like with the Wii? Are people going over to eachother's places and saying "OMG I HAVE TO GET ONE OF THESE. KINECTIMALS IS DA BOMB DIZZLE!"