Topics

WTF

• Lithium007 - January 23, 2012 8:07 a.m.

What if they're priced based on the quality of the pre-owned product. I wouldn't pay close to the full price for a scratched disc or tatty case, but would maybe risk it for a tenner less. Near mint, near full price - buggered to hell, two bob
  • Y2Ken - January 23, 2012 8:07 a.m.

They do this a lot. You'll often find stuff (even CDs) cheaper than the first copy just by looking through all the copies there. I've seen a lot of things priced at least 2 different ways for the same item. And often even the cheaper one isn't that great value half the time.
  • GhostbustTyler - January 23, 2012 8:05 a.m.

They were selling Prince of Persia for $50 when I last went. If you think that's bad, I went into a Sears a few weeks back (It's a superstore and sells almost everything home oriented) because I was looking for a copy of Saints Row the Third(EB Games had them on sale for $30 brand new on Boxing Day so they were sold out everywhere) and they had a beat up, used copy of Halo 3:ODST for $61. I couldn't even laugh at how fucking pathetic that was.
  • dondiablo29 - January 23, 2012 8:04 a.m.

And this is why I don't even shop at HMV at all anymore, online or for real, their prices are ridiculously high compared to Game...
  • DigbyCaesar - January 23, 2012 8:01 a.m.

I've worked at HMV and amazingly those prices may all be correct... Kind of. They use this weird system which means a certain amount of stock is allocated a set price (say 100 discs) and stays at that price until they are all sold and then the older stock (which still is priced at original price) is kept back until those 100 are sold... But sometimes people would just put out all kinds of stock, at all different prices. I don't know why they don't just use one barcode for each title and change the price universally.... It's very odd and confusing for staff and customers alike! Still... there's no way Rage should be more than £9.99. IF THAT.
  • FlyinMachine - January 23, 2012 8 a.m.

I... What? Why aren't the prices even consistent? haha
  • 24Castles - January 23, 2012 7:58 a.m.

Aren't HMV's game sections intentionally ridiculous and shit to encourage people to shop at GAME and Gamestation instead. HMV owns GAME, and GAME owns Gamestation. So I always assumed HMV's game sections were shit on purpose to get more sales from their other shops.
  • reiku_uk - January 23, 2012 10:04 a.m.

HMV don't own GAME, GAME are a seperate group entirely... HMV is just very overpriced, even for CDs, DVDs and Blu Ray. They also have a terrible and very inconsistent pricing structure and.
  • Zaphod Beeblebrox - January 23, 2012 5:52 p.m.

Electronics Boutique used to own a percentage of GAME not sure if it still does. HMV do not own game though.
  • jars - January 23, 2012 7:55 a.m.

oh wow, that's in pounds. took me eyes a second to adjust. jesus fuck.
  • Cruddi - January 23, 2012 7:54 a.m.

I have fallen into that trap before at HMV, I just purchase my music from there nothing else because it's over priced
  • jackthemenace - January 23, 2012 7:58 a.m.

EVERYTHING'S over-priced. I don't see why ANYONE still buys anything from HMV, it's a huge rip-off. On a lighter note, Well done, Dave. Everyone knows HMV's even worse than the Ministry of Truth if you get caught. Viva la Revolution etc. This is investigative journalism at it's finest
  • turner95 - January 23, 2012 7:50 a.m.

how utterly stupid, this definitely puts me off buying games in store. Online is the place to go.