Topics

E3 Nintendo

• wingsdjy - June 9, 2011 1:24 p.m.

Here's hoping the classic controller is stand-alone and doesn't need to be tethered to a Upad/Wiimote.
  • ThatGuyFromTV - June 9, 2011 1:04 p.m.

Now I'm worried, because having each player have their own screen with the controllers seemed like one of the big draws of this console. It feels like another push towards the hardcore, but it's not a push that I like. And seriously andybeans, cool your tits. No need to bash this thing on every article. One and done, my friend.
  • Baron164 - June 9, 2011 1:04 p.m.

I'm still not sold on this console at all. The controllers just seem too big to be comfortable. I of course haven't played it yet but it seems with something that large in my hand it wouldn't be comfortable to play. And if they think hooking 4 classic controllers up to this monstrous tab controller is a plausible solution then no thanks. I hate the classic controller for the Wii since it required being plugged into a Wii mote.
  • wesser22 - June 9, 2011 12:38 p.m.

Seems like we need to start lookin at this as two parts making one console. The big ass controller might not be a plug n play 'controller' in the traditional sense we think of. A slightly re-jigged Classic Controller as addition would suit me dandy! The level of cynicism toward this is mental tho!!! Weve known about this for 2 days, CHILL OUT PEOPLE!!!!!!
  • shawksta - June 9, 2011 12:27 p.m.

It does have the right focus, Nintendos getting smarter and the Wii U is configuring for anything the developers want to do. The big third parties agree, this is gonna be awesome!
  • Darkwun - June 9, 2011 12:21 p.m.

im fine with it, if i start multiplaying its likely to be online anyhow, but would like new adaptations to the CC with the extra buttons; this would make up for it. a simple idea like using the wii u pad as ur investigative tool in games like condemned would add more incentive to buy the nintendo version tbh
  • shawksta - June 9, 2011 12:20 p.m.

It is a good thing when you put it that way. Fanboys will still talk crap though, the annoying things. *Cough*Andybeans*Cough* Stay in your world of always thinking the wrong things. You have much to learn kid.
  • db1331 - June 9, 2011 12:08 p.m.

"Personally I reckon anything that promotes the use of the Classic Controller as standard and limits the use of gimmickry has to be a good thing." I couldn't agree more. I just want to play that HD Zelda with a classic controller pro. Is that too much to ask, Nintendo?
  • DannyMB - June 9, 2011 12:03 p.m.

Well, having the extra screen is surely a good thing. The DS had massive success with its extra screen, and developers made good use of it on the whole. My problem with the screen is its single touch i think, not multi touch. Thats a shame, and really limits what developers can do with it.
  • andybeans - June 9, 2011 11:59 a.m.

Nintendo had the chance to join the big boys by making a proper console which had the power to properly compete, they had the chance to step back into the ring and regain their dominance and they hinted that Project Cafe would be that chance to regain that former glory. However they have made another kiddie machine, a Wii 1.5 which has the sole added benefit that the kids can now go and play in their bedroom instead of dominating the TV. I just hope developers don't spend too much time on the Wii U bandwagon, dumbing down decent IP's to fit into this ridiculous "asymmetrical gaming" idea.
  • evancusick - June 9, 2011 11:59 a.m.

I still have no idea what this thing is. So far It just seems like the nintendo wii Xbox edition, with added ipad stream for when you change tv channels. I am going to wait and see if this actual does anything beyond a gimmick. I love mario as much as anyone but something new and exciting and not just weird would be good.
  • dreamerboy90 - June 9, 2011 11:53 a.m.

one of the most intersting as well as beneficial assests of the wii u is the fact that it is backwards compatible. however unlike other systems. this includes the storage media and accessories. this actually saves us and the company money. the wii u controller should not be seen as a controller but rather part of the main hardware found outside of the console. During e3 they explain through their interactive demos that the wii u controller was the main part but wiimotes played a big role in the games. this might be just the thing nintendo needed to emphasize the motto of it being able to focus on both multiplayer as well as single player experiences. I am still excited for the wii u and this does not damper on my opinion of it at all.
  • Voltanis - June 9, 2011 11:52 a.m.

Wow, so Nintendo delivers this message at their press conference about how they want to make the ultimate gaming experience for everyone, and then turn around and state only one person on each console actually gets to have that experience and the rest of you get normal controllers and play in the dark ages like you always have? "Tricky to pull off" or not, if Nintendo wants to accomplish their promising, they had better figure out how to get multiple "U Pads" to work on each console.
  • ithurtstopoop - June 9, 2011 11:51 a.m.

Can I buy a condom for this new controller?
  • Sheppo87 - June 9, 2011 11:44 a.m.

I thought the main selling point of the screen would be that it would allow you to view something different to a multiplayer partner - ideal for FPS games where it's easy to look at the other guys screen. If games manage split screen gameplay without generating too much strain on the CPU then surely streaming it to controllers isn't a massive step forward.
  • TheHonorableReverendHobo - June 9, 2011 11:40 a.m.

I agree, having a screen on the controller itself seems really gimmicky and stupid. Even if you use that screen for inventory or what have you, you still have to look down, away from the screen, to use it thus not really saving much time.
  • GR_DavidHoughton - June 9, 2011 11:36 a.m.

Well this is the thing I'm excited about with the Wii U. No function is compulsory. The whole thing can be spun out in any direction you want to use it, and this new implies that traditional controls are being pushed as just as big, if not bigger, apart of it as anything else. See the Wii U controller as an extension of the console, rather than a main game interface.
  • theguru - June 9, 2011 11:31 a.m.

TBH I don't see the point in having a second, smaller screen to watch instead of the (presumably) much bigger screen you'll use for any other gaming....
  • Tronto13 - June 9, 2011 11:30 a.m.

im hoping this means they are going to release actual screenless controllers.
  • bazwilkinson1985 - June 9, 2011 11:26 a.m.

I'm not buying on. First.