• malypso - December 14, 2012 6:36 p.m.

I agree that a Wii U version is a must; (Dark Souls:II-U Will DIE Edition), would fit perfectly on Nintendo's newest console! Imagine being able to quckly tap on the menu or have a fully customizable tab feature, that lets you fully customize the menu to your liking, with just the touch of a finger and add hot-keys galore. Another cool feature would be a local/online multiplayer experience, where one player is playing on the tablet itself and the other on the television, similar to COD:BO II. I also agree that weapons and armor should branch off when leveling up and be fully customizable in terms of color and detail, making every character different when playing online. You pretty much hit every nail on the head when creating this article. I just hope that From Software is listening to the fans and journalist and not turning a blind eye trying to streamline the game. If people want a Wii U version just sign the petition and cross your fingers. You can sign it here,( http://www.change.org/petitions/dark-souls-ii-for-the-nintendo-wiiu# ). I think it's a great idea to expand the series to every console and PC, as long as the game isn't compromised in any way... Anyway, great read and here's hoping the next Souls game is great!
  • malypso - December 14, 2012 6:52 p.m.

One thing I don't agree with is the perma-death idea, Souls games are designed around death. It's a way to learn how to get around a certain obstacle or enemy. Bloodstained victims and messaging are revolutionary ways of proceeding with caution, if perma-death was implemented, nobody would ever take the game seriously. I have beat both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls without dying after playing them for so long but still wouldn't want something like this to even be an option. People like my brother and cousin have yet to beat the game because of the difficulty level and patients required and when they do beat it, I highly doubt they would try to beat it without dying. I could live with an easy mode as long as there are some sort of restrictions involved, something like a true ending on regular mode has been done in the past, but I think you nailed it when suggesting that if beat on easy you can NOT bring your stats over to normal mode.
  • ObliqueZombie - December 14, 2012 6:10 p.m.

I WAS going to say I agree with everything (seriously, nice ideas) except the Easy Mode, but then you said they shouldn't be able to carry over their characters to Normal/Hardcore modes. I can get on board with that. AND THEN give them an uneven achievement number to mess them up even more.
  • winner2 - December 14, 2012 5:32 p.m.

Disagree with everything. Demons and Dark are quite possibly the only 2 games I have no complaints for. There is nothing wrong with dark, just make another great game, shit. And I'm sick of this whole "changes are a good thing, it''ll be great so let's change it up" mentality. All these changes will change what Souls is about to the core. And as to the more accessible shit: what do you really think is the most probable outcome? Yeah, easier. Everyone's bullshitting themselves and each other with this "we don't know for sure what he means, let's just hope everything works out the way we want it to" kind of phrase. Really? Can we get back to what we know is most likely? I'll end up buying it cause it's a souls and I'll need to test my theory and take responsibility if I'm wrong, but I'm really doubting it.
  • burninated - December 14, 2012 3:37 p.m.

The last point about perma-death mode kinda missed the point of Souls series. As it is well known among us, one big pull factor of the series is how it is designed to make the player die several times so that he can teach himself how to overcome whichever enemie/trap/boss that killed him before. If dying was punished with your character permanently deleted, it would either frustrate so many gamers or make them so timid that it would force them to stick to the safest option possible, that it wouldn't be fun at all.
  • burninated - December 14, 2012 4:04 p.m.

I'm all for developers trying new things but making another entry that is not much different to Dark Souls would still make a lot of the fans happy. Making things easier and more straight forward for the sequel would make the series lose so many things.
  • BladedFalcon - December 14, 2012 3:36 p.m.

I also think that adding an easy mode, or a hardcore mode, for that matter, would impact or lessen the overall Dark Souls experience. Yes, I understand it's completely optional, but that's the thing: it's an option, it's basically a compromise that the game would be making to the player. And that, to me? goes against everything the Souls series has stood for so far. I mean, love it or hate it, both Demon Souls and Dark souls have formed their reputation by being this unflinching, unbending experience to the player. It never gives you any crutches, any explanations beyond the very basic controls. It leaves you to figure things out on your own and never gives you a hand. It also offers always a reasonable challenge and there is always a way to succeed, but it's up to the player to wisen up and adapt to the game, and not the other way around. And then, by giving something as an easy mode, want it or not, it IS a way for the game to bend over and accommodate the player. "Oh sorry! the game's too hard for you? here then, let me go easier on you!" And again, in almost any other franchise, this would be fine, but again, the entire reputation of the souls franchise is that they have staunchly refused to do that. That's why I've always had problems with what Shibuya said from the beginning. The Souls franchise has always been known for it's inaccessibility, if you will, and judging by both game's sales, there IS definitely a market for that. So trying to make the series more accessible in any way or form kinda goes the opposite way of what the series stands for, and it risks damaging it's own identity greatly if it tries to cater to the one crowd it has always shunned from the get go.
  • Rhymenocerous - December 15, 2012 5:17 a.m.

This
  • CancerMan - December 14, 2012 2:53 p.m.

There's no point in a hardcore mode. Perma-death in a Souls game would be ridiculous, and new game plus already offers a sufficiently tougher challenge. And I can't think of a way for easy mode to work. The game is already pretty easy if you utilize co-op and kindle the bonfire at every opportunity.
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - December 14, 2012 3:12 p.m.

Well, if you scour YouTube, there's plenty of folks going for no-death runs. Certainly wouldn't be for everyone, though.
  • JMarsella09 - December 14, 2012 2:34 p.m.

I agree with everything but the easy mode thing. Dark Souls is a game built on its unique style. If you play slowly and carefully, always on edge and on the look out, the game is not unbearable. You must figure out bosses instead of going in guns blazing. If you rush through, without knowing what you're doing, you're going to fail, simple as that. However, the stress and frustration means every reward has wait. This is Dark Souls. It is not a book to be enjoyed at your leisure. The difficulty is a critical part of the experience. The goal of the game is to provide a sense of accomplishment and discover. The difficulty is a tool to meet those ends. Now you may say that adding the easy mode won't affect you if you don't use it. This is incorrect. What an easy mode does is it removes the threat of failure, as in quitting the game not dying, dying is part of the game. The punishment is you don't get to experience the games rewards, the lore, new areas and armor, the sense of victory over each boss. With the easy mode present, you know there is an easy way out. There is no pressure, you know you can win and, in fact, that most gamers can win. This lessens not only your achievements but also the build up to those achievements.
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - December 14, 2012 2:42 p.m.

I agree with most of your points. I keep thinking about what it would be like to play a Souls game if the learning process that comes with failure was removed wholesale, and I keep thinking "yeah, that wouldn't be a very fun game to play at all."
  • AlexStarkiller - December 14, 2012 8:24 p.m.

It doesn't have to take away the challenge or failure or remove the need to be careful. The thing is, and I don't like admitting it but it's the truth, I'm bad at this style of game. This sort of third-person melee oriented sort of game. Games of this style that most consider easy, I have trouble with. So when I try to play a game this hard in that genre, regardless of how much I like it, I'm just unable to. Adding said easy mode would allow me to play the game and enjoy it, and it would still be difficult by my standards of this genre. I don't want hand-holding or a lack of failure either, but I'd like to have a chance at progressing in the game. I don't think it's all that fair for hardcore fans to be so vehement about not wanting an easy mode. I'm pretty sure it won't really be the end of the world.
  • SDHoneymonster - December 15, 2012 3:50 a.m.

If Demon's Souls and Dark Souls games were completely offline, solo adventures, I'd agree with you. The fact that there is an unique, brilliant co-op & PvP system means that an easy mode would completely unbalance it, unless From kept all the players playing Easy mode on their own servers. For me, and I know it sounds snobby & fan-boy whinging, an easy mode just isn't the way forward.
  • JMarsella09 - December 15, 2012 10:07 a.m.

I sympathise with you, I really do. Personally I love fighting games, but I am terrible at them and find them hard to get into. However, adding an easy mode to Dark Souls would hurt the experience for everyone. Really what I would suggest is you practice and learn. The Souls series can be very manageable if you invest the appropriate amount of time into it.
  • BladedFalcon - December 15, 2012 11:53 a.m.

I don't want to sound like a dick. But the thing is... That sort of mindset is what has led to developers overly streamlining and neutering other genres or franchises, most notably the FPS. And the thing is, this particular franchise was made from the get go with the mindset of "either you adapt to the challenge we are setting, or you're screwed." And yes, I know it's cruel, and it's definitely not for everyone, but it adds an uniqueness and identity to it that otherwise it wouldn't have, and it has garnered a large enough fanbase as it is to prove that it isn't an entirely niche concept. So, if you can't really adapt to the game... well, there's plenty other options and games out there that can adapt to you, you can't please everyone, and you can't always be good at everything.
  • Rhymenocerous - December 15, 2012 5:17 a.m.

And this