We Recommend

• PimplesInYourAsstista - July 20, 2011 2:53 a.m.

Sounds like a fancy way of saying "If its popular, then is automatically better then everything else."
  • D0CCON - July 20, 2011 2:45 a.m.

I used to love COD even when it was popular (MW2 was popular, right?) and I still love Mass Effect, Battlefield, Halo, Elder Scrolls, Uncharted, Portal, Half Life, and more even though they are also popular, so I don't think popularity is why I'm sick of it. The poster on this site showing a box of Even More Call of Duty with the slogan familiarity breeds contempt is actually the reason I'm sick of it.
  • hester2 - July 20, 2011 2:45 a.m.

That's a budget/consumer problem, not an industry problem. The thing is, those of us who take the time to comment on sites all agree that these are great games. We are a minority, though. It's the more casual consumers who decide what keeps going. Besides, the fact that the list is endless means that we keep getting original games. Do you really want all of those to become franchises? Then people would just list them as examples of how the industry doesn't innovate.
  • Redeater - July 20, 2011 2:40 a.m.

@hester2 Yeah the problem with that is that almost anything original dies a horrible death upon release. Enslaved, Child of Eden, Shadows of the Damned, Madworld, Vanquish, Mirrors Edge the list is endless. Saying that there is nothing but shooters may not be true but saying that companies take less and less chanches on anyting that is not FPS is.
  • hester2 - July 20, 2011 2:28 a.m.

Damn this beer!
  • EnragedTortoise1 - July 20, 2011 2:24 a.m.

You also said Arkham Asylum instead of City. :>
  • hester2 - July 20, 2011 2:12 a.m.

Son of a bitch! Actually, I guess that's a good thing. My wallet is already going to be annihilated. Wow. I forgot Skyrim. I am self-revoking my Internet privileges.
  • DaveGoose - July 20, 2011 2:07 a.m.

Mass Effect 3 is 2012 not 2011 Hester! Shame on you!
  • TheCakeIsaPie - July 20, 2011 2:03 a.m.

He does have a point. Naughty Dog's games aren't all that original, but they add value to whatever was already there. Still, Okami.
  • hester2 - July 20, 2011 2:01 a.m.

Complaining that shooters are all that's out there is OK. Blaming shooters themselves, however, is not. Most of the high-profile ones are great games, and they should be recognized as such. I don't really buy the "it's all shooters" argument anyways. Look at this year: Catherine, Assassin's Creed, Arkham Asylum, L.A. Noire, TWO Zeldas, Mass Effect 3 (OK, semi-shooter there), The Witcher 2, Forza 4, etc. All of these either were or are destined to be great games. Big shooters, on the other hand, consist of Resistance, COD, Battlefield, Rage, and Uncharted. Dead Island is somewhere in between. That seems pretty balanced to me.