Topics

mmorpg top 10

• ObliqueZombie - March 18, 2012 11:26 a.m.

I'm still happily playing SWTOR, and I can't get enough of it. It actually makes me, you know, CARE about what I'm doing. Let alone my character that's more than a name and race. I'll be playing it for years to come, I can assure you.
  • Kristianna - March 21, 2012 3:16 p.m.

I second that :)
  • Shinard - March 25, 2012 1:45 p.m.

Look, I'd love to buy it. I played the Beta and the recent Weekend Pass and I got really sucked in to the stories of the Bounty Hunter and the Smuggler. BUT (and it's a big but) it just seems way too expensive for me to buy and subscribe to. You have to pay 35 quid straight off, then another 19 quid per two months? World of Warcraft needs no initial purchase (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) and is 9 quid for a month, but has such a dedicated fan-base and is frankly much older and more developed than SWTOR so it can pull it off. If they cut the price of the initial purchase and game time (maybe 20, 25 quid initially and 12-15 per two months of game time) then I would buy it and certainly finish every character's story before I ended my subscription. It is a great game, and deserves to be a paid game but it's just too expensive, IMO.
  • Shinard - March 25, 2012 1:48 p.m.

Oh, and I'm personally addicted to Champions Online at the moment. Not the king of MMO's, but fun.
  • ObliqueZombie - March 25, 2012 4:44 p.m.

Yeah, WoW had an initial purchase, and still does. It's also the same price each month (which, I'm not sure what quid is, but it's $15 a month). I'd say go for it, if you can. There hasn't been a better RPG story in a long while.
  • Shinard - March 31, 2012 12:45 p.m.

quid = £ (British slang:)). Fair enough, I'll give it a shot next time I have the cash.
  • Fuzunga - March 16, 2012 8:49 p.m.

Don't like MMOs much. Only one I've played for extended periods is City of Heroes (before it went FTP). Guild Wars 2 looks good though, and I love how it's free. But if the Amalur MMO plays anything like Reckoning... that's it for me. Instant buy.
  • leonardo-britez - March 16, 2012 7:51 p.m.

WoW will be the best forever.
  • talleyXIV - March 16, 2012 7:48 p.m.

I like how Hollander copied and pasted paragraphs from his other almost identical article about MMOs. Llllllazy.
  • FemJesse - March 16, 2012 7:38 p.m.

I'm fine with Rift in second. I think out of all these games Rift is the one that held my attention the longest, but I understand that we're still a few years away until anyone can unseat WoW. Rift had a lot of innovations with its dynamic content, but also corrected many minor issues with MMOs which made the leveling and questing experience more enjoyable. I was disappointed with some of the aspects of SWTOR not borrowing more from Rift. One example, digging through your inventory or quest item bag to find an item that you need to activate for a quest... it just seems archaic now.
  • EwoksTasteLikeChicken - March 16, 2012 6:21 p.m.

Guys. Runescape still isn't on the list. =( Aside from that sad note however, I think that I'm going to try out LotRO.
  • Comickaze - March 16, 2012 5:59 p.m.

After playing over half of these games, I am one to say that I am upset that Final Fantasy XI didn't even make the list. I understand that it now has a small player base; however, the layers upon layers of story as well as rewards leave it alone as a clear winner for "Best MMORPG". It's unfortunate how easy it is to just power through all the levels of any new age MMO, whereas in FFXI it took me over a year of solid playing, questing, and party seeking just to cap my first class in the game. Ease of playability is the new wave, and it is pushing out the overall gameplay experience that involved time, dedication, skill, and even a bit of luck to get gear, access to endgame action, and to seek the rewards that I would say "old school" MMO players want. So many people complain about the lack of endgame content in games that have been out for only weeks, but when you think about it. WHY are people through the game already? Shouldn't the social system be more intimate so people actually make friends playing online with others? Shouldn't people want to take part in the STORY that they bought with the game? I just don't really understand where the MMORPG market is headed, and frankly, if it is going to continue in this direction, maybe it's time for an early retirement from MMOs altogether.
  • Develsadvocate - April 28, 2012 2:46 a.m.

I agree 100%. I played FFXI for 6 years, along with a few other MMO like WoW. It is a shame FFXI is not on the list.
  • Alkaid - September 13, 2012 12:19 p.m.

Agreed I spent my 8th Grade up to graduation where I enlisted in the military right after playing FFXI. I remember hitting level 60 in FFXI and being able to put on my Red Mage hat and it was the greatest feeling. FFXI back in the day took massive amount of time to really progress which is what almost every MMO now lacks. At the rate it's going I hope MMOs die out for a while at least kinda like the fighting genre slowed down for a good time so people can stop trying to just make the next WoW where they copy and pasted most aspects from it and maybe change a thing here and there. Heck 3 years into the military and I still play FFXI on and off. Hit 52 Drg with the help of my friends yesterday.
  • Nikachu - March 16, 2012 5:53 p.m.

Rift should defs be in the top 10 but not as second, it was very lacking in some areas for me and got boring quickly, same as SWTOR but they were still very fun to level in. I don't whether I'm blind or not but I don't see TerA there at all? I would be definetely putting that in the top 10. Very unique comabt system.
  • kiing8kong6 - March 16, 2012 5:08 p.m.

What is that last picture of?
  • Tyrande - March 16, 2012 5:27 p.m.

the secret world
  • ArbiterX - March 16, 2012 3:23 p.m.

I understand WoW being 1st, but how the hell did Rift make second ?? I thought atleast SWTOR eould beat it, All Rift is a complete and utter terrible WoW copy, made different enemies and than they slapped on a different name.
  • ArbiterX - March 16, 2012 3:24 p.m.

would*
  • - March 16, 2012 3:44 p.m.

Totally disagree. Rift is my personal favorite MMO on the market right now. The combat system is very WoW-esque, but WoW's was also very Everquest-esque. SWTOR bored the living crunk out of me with its banal cutscenes. Sorry, Bioware, but just because you put it in a cutscene with different camera angles doesn't make it not-a-quest-about-killing-10-bunnies. Rift has a ton of great ideas and an awesome community. I'd have voted for it for #1.
  • KnowYourPokemon - March 16, 2012 5:37 p.m.

While SW:TOR wasn't my cup of tea I would still agree it deserves 2nd more than Rift. Rift literally is copy/paste of WoW with much better graphics. At least SW:TOR added a few things that I now think should be essential in every laid back MMO, RIFT really didn't add anything note worthy other than Rifts which weren't as innovative as they could've been.
  • Ausoi - March 17, 2012 6:24 p.m.

to say that? You would have to bash WoW because that is a ripe off of Everquest... Man i really don't like when people jump to the conclusion that WoW is the first MMORPG ever... Just because it's the most mainstream..