Topics

mmorpg top 10

• sam-skelding - October 10, 2013 1:37 a.m.

nice list but seriously, WHERE THE FK IS STAR WARS GALAXIES AND WHY IS WOW AT THE TOP!?! that being said i can see why WoW is always gonna make it into top 10 lists or w/e for the simple fact that its popular and one of the defining games of the genre (even if it was never my bag and imo starting to become so generic on so many levels). but why not swg huh? the game was great. every person i ever meet that played it for longer than 6 months agrees with me that there is not another game anywhere near like it, its a game that sticks with you and you can never forget it. i dont think another mmo will ever feel like swg did and i certainly think if WoW gets a spot on here then so should swg despite all the bad publicit it got with the so called screw ups with the major game changes it was still a really great game all the way through and nothing will ever change that.
  • Dexxur - November 15, 2013 12:06 a.m.

@SWG comment - "We’ve assembled the absolute best MMOs currently available"
  • mmogamr - February 4, 2014 6:53 p.m.

You should have said in your opinion. Or not an all inclusive list. Well written article, but you missed a few of my personal likes. Everquest1 and before it was UO that started a huge movement for mmorpgs, eq2, vanguard, daoc, other noteworthy rpgs; bioware, morrow wind series/elderscrolls, dragon age is good for a 1/2 time run. Fable and fable2, I could go on and on and so far all the games I listed in my humble opinion are far better than wow, and yes I have intermittently played wow back and forth through crappy revamp after crappy revamp. As a matter of fact I hold Diablo in higher respect than wow, but until everquest next scraps wow for good I will have to continue playing around with these.
  • Kaldor - April 1, 2014 10:09 a.m.

Fable 1 & 2, TE (other than TESO),Dragon Age, Diablo 1 & 2 are not MMOs...yes they are RPGs but they are not Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games (MMORPGs). Furthermore they say at the beginning that this is the list of the absolute best MMOs currently available--anything from free-to-play, to subscription-based, to one-time fees.
  • rai-thenoblesse - August 6, 2014 4:49 a.m.

with its cool and (very) challenging endgame content and items.., plus the smart updates (balancing, duties ect.) and comming new class(es).., wouldnt be suprised if FFXIV becomes the new leader of MMOS...
  • Zebuthecow - April 1, 2014 2:26 a.m.

Maybe because most people are not peer pressure sensitive loud mouths and actually have this ability called liking WoW and--- wait for it--- can also enjoy other MMOs! But hey- your generic, bitter, obnoxious cussing like a 12 year cred is intact.
  • Papabard - July 23, 2014 2:50 p.m.

SWG is gone. It was canceled in 2012 by SoE. Maybe that's why it isn't on the list. I agree though bs that WoW is on the list yet no mention of the MMO that started it all and still going strong EQ
  • Buklau405 - August 13, 2013 9:32 a.m.

WoW is the best and most proven MMO out there.Hate all you want.
  • Bluerain12ya - July 11, 2014 10:30 a.m.

I'm not hating it :) I acknowledge and respect that it WAS the defining game of the genre. Today, however, it could not be more generic and dull. The fact that it's still considered the "best" mmo proves that the only reason it's still displayed on top of any list is the fact that people simply can't let go. Try other games on the list too... Believe me, you'll abandon WoW in a heartbeat once you see that Blizzard has fallen asleep about 3 years ago and WoW has absolutely nothing new to offer... The lore is absolutely amazing and it goes a great depth. The reach and size of the world in WoW is quite big too... Though no way near the largest or richest anymore. And as far opportunities go? In todays standard, WoW is very very VERY limited.
  • max-kolb - August 1, 2013 6:06 p.m.

so what up w/ FFXIV? that's a freaking awesome MMO!! way better than shitty ass TERA
  • Banne - August 22, 2013 9:51 p.m.

I would have to get paid a million dollar's if I were to even consider that piece of junk as playable. Sure it looks beautiful, but it's not the only game that looks beautiful, gameplay is so fucking worthless that even casual easymode games like guild wars 2 crushes it. Tera possibly has the best gameplay out of all mmo's out now, altho I will not deny the lvling is boring as all hell.
  • VoidKid - September 14, 2013 7:03 p.m.

Dragon nest's gameplay is better than TERAs. I played tera and i got bored very easy.
  • nithin-kumar-reddy - June 10, 2014 9:12 a.m.

dragon is pretty much same as tera in grinding
  • Bluerain12ya - July 11, 2014 10:39 a.m.

TERA was made by pissed off Lineage 3 developers who quit NCSoft. They formed BlueHole Studios and quickly hauled together a game based on what they worked on Lineage 3. The result? A rushed storyline, LITERALLY empty world, and next to non-existent gameplay. Although the mechanics are bloody amazing. An MMO with controller support? HELL YEAH, BABY :D Shame, really, because it did have a huge potential. Look at them graphics! Just look at it!!! If only they stayed at NCSoft and finished Lineage 3, TERA/Lineage 3 could have kicked WoW in the ass so hard, WoW players would be seriously ashamed they ever played WoW. But no. Pissed off devs had to abandon Lineage 3 and throw together a crap and call it TERA... Did you notice that as Lineage 3 development ceased, NCSoft released Aion shortly after? Same story. I guess NC got really desperate to release a next-gen MMO since they lost Lineage 3. That's just my opinion, this latter. I have no evidence... Good lesson kids! Selfishness gets you nowhere...
  • AznxTina - July 29, 2013 12:43 p.m.

Haha, The only MMO that caught and held my attention was Maplestory. It was a such a fun and social place to be before the bigbang. So, if Maple was still like it was a few years ago, it'd definitely would be the best hands down.
  • nicholas-grencz - July 15, 2013 3:55 p.m.

Wow... thought this was worse to best but it really went downhill on the end. WoW as number 1? Really, wow is for people who haven't had any exposure to real MMO gameplay. I've been playing MMOs for years, and some key games are missing. I would have to guess this is written by a newcomer to the genre, or one who favors ease of(IMO lack of) gameplay over risk/reward situations.
  • riley-maxwell - August 14, 2013 4:09 p.m.

hate all you want it just shows how newby u are :P
  • raigne - July 7, 2013 5:41 a.m.

Ok WoW - could never get into it seemed a little weak. (sorry fanbois my opinion). EvE Online - Best MMO. 1 server and great market, came to it a little late and playing catch up is never fun. Age Of Wushu - didn't think i'd like it but at the moment its my favorite MMO and if it wasn't for snail USA, there shitty customer service, bot/hacker problems and the bug that keeps the Royal Guard class at 3rd internal level 11 I'd be tempted to say best MMO ever. So even though its new and needs a lot of work, I'm going to be bold and say AoW as my best MMO
  • victr-dimitrv - July 11, 2013 7:47 a.m.

WoW best
  • victr-dimitrv - July 3, 2013 9:28 a.m.

For World of Warcraft!!!The best mmo-rpg and the best game EVER!!"
  • gin-juice - September 29, 2012 4:33 a.m.

FFXI was were the big boys use to hang. Took me over a year to grind my first job to 75. Every piece of good armor was hard-earned and well-worn. COP quest took months/years to complete. Too bad they went the WOW(played for awhile too) route and made questing and leveling super easy now. Last time I played all I saw were max level noobs with crap gear and no idea how to play. This writer probably never played ffxi, hence it's not up there. I think ranking should be done for paid subscribers + years in service. Obviously WoW would be #1 but ffxi would make 2-3.
  • dashell86 - June 29, 2013 5:01 a.m.

I couldn't agree more. I was on there for years and I'm yet to find another game to keep me hooked and entertained as much as ffxi did. Tried several since, including the old republic and warcraft, star wars was incredibly boring when you hit the maximum level, I paid for the game and then a subscribtion, and after 6 months I was done, too easy and monotonous quests. But back to the original point, give ffxi the credit it deserves, wizard 101 and other related $h!t without a mention of one ffxi. Sort your life out.